Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: dealer forgot to install engine air filter... 6 months ago

  1. #1
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    1,510
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    525
    Thanked 176 Times in 147 Posts

    dealer forgot to install engine air filter... 6 months ago

    Got 2 oil changes done yesterday and today on the Mirage and the G4 at a Mitsubishi dealership. I did mine first, it was only $40 bucks and everything was fine.

    Did my lady's G4 today and turns out her engine didnt even have an air filter in it! Those same ****ers from last time I serviced it forgot to put one in! I was livid.

    And then they tried to sell me on a tranny flush and I was like "No, I brought the G4 in 6 months ago to get that done and you said it wasnt necessary because the car had gotten a new engine and that always comes with the CVT getting fresh fluid." Guy looked at me like I caught him in a lie, unbelievable. Oh and still charged me 50 bucks for a new air filter, the one they forgot to put in in the first place! Thank Satan, these little cars can take a beaten, if this was a Spark or Fiat Id be sheeeit out of luck!


    Last edited by MetroMPG; 09-26-2019 at 06:30 PM. Reason: (split topic from another thread)

  2. #2
    Village Idiot Fummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Alberta
    Country
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,734
    Thanks
    1,100
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 859 Posts
    Wow that's service!
    Reasonably Priced Car
    Truck
    POS Nissan

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Richland Center
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,823
    Thanks
    15
    Thanked 578 Times in 455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Yeah got 2 oil changes done yesterday and today on the Mirage and the G4 at a Mitsubishi dealership. I did mine first, it was only $40 bucks and everything was fine. Did my lady's G4 today and turns out her engine didnt even have an air filter in it! Those same ****ers from last time I serviced it forgot to put one in! I was livid. And then they tried to sell me on a tranny flush and I was like "No, I brought the G4 in 6 months ago to get that done and you said it wasnt necessary because the car had gotten a new engine and that always comes with the CVT getting fresh fluid." Guy looked at me like I caught him in a lie, unbelievable. Oh and still charged me 50 bucks for a new air filter, the one they forgot to put in in the first place! Thank Satan, these little cars can take a beaten, if this was a Spark or Fiat Id be sheeeit out of luck!
    If you are willing to pay $50 for an air filter, that's on you not them. They are entitled to charge whatever they want, & you are free to take your business elsewhere. I would expect to be overcharged @ a dealership for engine &/or cabin air filters . That's why I would never allow a dealership to change them.

    Even if I lived next door to a Mitsubishi dealership, they would only see my Mirage for warranty or recall work. The dealership you are describing would never see my Mirage. Not putting an air filter in your car the last time it was serviced is really quite lame. I am surprised they shared that with you! It's not a place I would take my car for anything.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    1,510
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    525
    Thanked 176 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Wow that's service!
    Yeah, I only went there because they got a special on oil changes, full synthetic. Honestly, Im a little relieved Im out of warranty, now I dont have to deal with the Mitsu techs besides oil changes.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    your Mom's basement
    Country
    North Korea
    Posts
    1,510
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    525
    Thanked 176 Times in 147 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you are willing to pay $50 for an air filter, that's on you not them. They are entitled to charge whatever they want, & you are free to take your business elsewhere. I would expect to be overcharged @ a dealership for engine &/or cabin air filters . That's why I would never allow a dealership to change them.

    Even if I lived next door to a Mitsubishi dealership, they would only see my Mirage for warranty or recall work. The dealership you are describing would never see my Mirage. Not putting an air filter in your car the last time it was serviced is really quite lame. I am surprised they shared that with you! It's not a place I would take my car for anything.
    I didnt want to pay the $50 but the last three auto parts stores I went to didnt keep our air filters or cabin air filters in stock. So I just wanted one in there pronto considering she had been driving around without one for 6 months. Thank God we dont live on dirt roads or any where dusty, no telling what kind of gunk already got into the engine.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,043
    Thanks
    419
    Thanked 303 Times in 207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I didnt want to pay the $50 but the last three auto parts stores I went to didnt keep our air filters or cabin air filters in stock. So I just wanted one in there pronto considering she had been driving around without one for 6 months. Thank God we dont live on dirt roads or any where dusty, no telling what kind of gunk already got into the engine.
    Wait, so you border on obsessive about the cvt going bad but yet you drive around for half a year with NO air filter in the car????

    And they are like 10-12.00 if I recall on rock auto.

  7. #7
    Village Idiot Fummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Alberta
    Country
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,734
    Thanks
    1,100
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 859 Posts
    I assume the last one to service the car removed it or never looked at it? It's 2 clips, might want to start checking it out once in a while lol. The last time I checked the air filter on the wife's kia was about a year ago after the dealer replaced it during a free oil change. I wanted to make sure it was actually replaced and sealed properly.
    Reasonably Priced Car
    Truck
    POS Nissan

  8. #8
    Senior Member AtomicPunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    380
    Thanks
    66
    Thanked 166 Times in 107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I didnt want to pay the $50 but the last three auto parts stores I went to didnt keep our air filters or cabin air filters in stock. So I just wanted one in there pronto considering she had been driving around without one for 6 months. Thank God we dont live on dirt roads or any where dusty, no telling what kind of gunk already got into the engine.
    Service like this is not doing anything to help Mitsubishi build market share in the U.S.. Sounds like Goober at Deep South Mitsubishi needs some remedial training on customer service. Hope you find a good, honest mechanic, Dirk.

  9. #9
    Village Idiot Fummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Alberta
    Country
    Georgia
    Posts
    2,734
    Thanks
    1,100
    Thanked 1,316 Times in 859 Posts
    Or even a mechanic that throws in a free tube of lube with every high flow air filter removal mod? That might help relieve a little bit of pain
    Reasonably Priced Car
    Truck
    POS Nissan

  10. #10
    Administrator MetroMPG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    1000 Islands, Ontario
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    7,751
    Thanks
    3,169
    Thanked 2,300 Times in 1,418 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I just wanted one in there pronto considering she had been driving around without one for 6 months.
    I would have ordered a reasonably priced one and waited a day or 2 for it. Those little engines are tough - ingesting a few more bugs & small stones won't hurt it!


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage base ES 1.2 manual: 54.0 mpg (US) ... 23.0 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 64.9 mpg (Imp)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •