Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all of the 60mpg veterans.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Calling all of the 60mpg veterans.

Please note, I'm talking at sustained speeds driving largely legally, not flutzing along at 30 under...

So, I'm stuck at 4.2l/100 on my drive to work. I really want to do a return trip one day at 3.9. However, there are a few caveats.

Block heated car in morning. 10 second warm up before departing. 2km at 60km/h. Then 25km at 95km/h, no slower. There is a required Tim Hortons drive thru, which I start stop my way through. Then 10km more at 95, then 10 traffic lights, then a further 6km to work at highway speeds.

I feel like I am maxing out what can be done, but I know dropping another .25l should be doable.

Any advice? Because right now, my only option is to lose a bit more speed, but the wife will kill me if I drive any slower.

So do I wait for a tail wind? Or do I draft? Or do you all think I can squeak a bit more out?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Just for a one-time experiment (and without going into detail about your commute) increase tire pressure to 50 psi, pre-heat your engine block, get moving as soon as your 1.2 quits rattling, drive between 50-60 mph for about an hour and let us know how that goes for you. If you are unable to drive at those speeds for that amount of time I don't know what to say. This works for me with my 5-speed manual transmission.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ditch the drive-through. Park the car and go in. One restart. No idling, no creeping. Just coast into the parking lot.

That won't make a huge difference, but it's only about a 20 mile route... every little bit helps.

Also when you do park, try to park so that you're downhill when you leave, and ideally don't have to back up. Again, every little bit.

You didn't mention what methods you're using. Pulse & Glide? DFCO? EOC? DWB? Tell us what you're already doing and to what extent.
    Simplify and add lightness.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-01-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Ditch the drive-through. Park the car and go in. One restart. No idling, no creeping. Just coast into the parking lot.

That won't make a huge difference, but it's only about a 20 mile route... every little bit helps.

Also when you do park, try to park so that you're downhill when you leave, and ideally don't have to back up. Again, every little bit.

You didn't mention what methods you're using. Pulse & Glide? DFCO? EOC? DWB? Tell us what you're already doing and to what extent.
    EOC to all lights and intersections. EOC on all sustained downhills. EOC is about 1km in advance where possible, I have it dialed where I reach corner speed at the corner.

No P&G, wife won't tolerate that. Also why the drive through is required. I am aware that the drive through costs me about .15l/100.

I use the brakes on one hill, although I do let the car EOC 30 over the limit and carry that for a few km before bumping 5th.

Also, its 50km all in. Approx 25 highway, 10 city, 5 highway, 3 city, 7 highway
    Last edited by nickels; 10-01-2019 at 05:12 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I have not been able to break 60 mpg without using P&G in my Mirage. Especially at highway speeds, it just doesn't happen. If you can't P&G, you'll need to do a few aeromods to reduce the high speed power requirement IMO.

4.2l/100km is very impressive considering your commute!
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    I have not been able to break 60 mpg without using P&G in my Mirage. Especially at highway speeds, it just doesn't happen. If you can't P&G, you'll need to do a few aeromods to reduce the high speed power requirement IMO.

4.2l/100km is very impressive considering your commute!
    Thanks! I'm happy with it, but 3.9 is a dream commute, and even better, a dream tank of mine. Tank won't happen with wife in the car, but I can annoy her enough for just one day to really try the commute.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Huh - in warmer weather, I can get to 60 mpg without pulse & glide or engine off coasting just by keeping the speed down and keeping the tires aired up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I've been meaning to do an air dam on mine for a while. It's an easy and cheap mod to do. That's probably where I would start if you don't already have the lower grill blocked on your car.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Huh - in warmer weather, I can get to 60 mpg without pulse & glide or engine off coasting just by keeping the speed down and keeping the tires aired up.
    As can I, but I can't do way under the limit unless I want **** thrown at me as people pass.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    As can I, but I can't do way under the limit unless I want **** thrown at me as people pass.
    If that's a concern for you, how about trying a two-lane road with a lower speed limit?

Sounds like you know these fuel economy numbers are doable.