Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 13-15 Front Brake Upgrade

Quote Originally Posted by ken2400 View Post
    Next question What do you put on the orig rotors to keep them rusting when storing them? Thanks
    I'd take mine and throw them in the ****et bucket. But if I were to try and hoard a couple cheap pieces of bare metal I don't know what I'd put on them. Not oil, maybe a light dusting of some kinda paint? Then when you finally need to use them after the apocolypse you could just scuff the paint off or just giver.
    This guy gives zero trucks about getting paint on his rotor

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    I painted the rotors on my car when it was new. After 100K miles they still looked pretty decent. I pretty much followed the instructions in that video Fummins posted...but I taped off 90% of the friction surface so my pads wouldn't load up with paint. Was that required? I don't know.

The only think I would do differently than the video is to forget the wire wheel for removing rust. Just get some Evapo-Rust and toss the rotors in that stuff for about 24 hours. They will have zero rust when you pull them out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't realize it was that ridiculously simple. I was thinking they'd use different calipers, but this has me thinking of doing the swap. My only issue is that I use 13" Civic VX wheels for my winter tires, and they wouldn't clear the bigger brakes. I suppose I could just swap out the rotors and brackets as needed.

I wonder how that would affect the front/rear brake bias, though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    is braking better because you are moving the calliper further out (so to speak)?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    is braking better because you are moving the calliper further out (so to speak)?
    Since the brake pads are the same, I would say the larger rotors are making the difference. The larger calipers are needed to fit the larger rotors.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    I didn't realize it was that ridiculously simple. I was thinking they'd use different calipers, but this has me thinking of doing the swap. My only issue is that I use 13" Civic VX wheels for my winter tires, and they wouldn't clear the bigger brakes. I suppose I could just swap out the rotors and brackets as needed.

I wonder how that would affect the front/rear brake bias, though.
    That would be a bit of a hassle to deal with twice a year (switching wheels). I would live with your current brakes & winter wheels. I wouldn't change one without changing the other.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Since the brake pads are the same, I would say the larger rotors are making the difference. The larger calipers are needed to fit the larger rotors.
    meaning the larger calipers are moving the placement of the pads further out to take advantage of the larger diameter rotors? i would not have thought such a minute movement outwards would have made much difference

i wonder if you can get larger pads to take advantage of space made available on the inner for even more braking

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Just to re-clarify, the calipers are all the same. The bracket that the caliper bolts to is different. And the rotor diameter. That’s all. I’ve never noticed a difference in braking. My brakes work more than good enough for the brake checking do.
    ok sorry, wrong terminology, is the bracket further out or not? otherwise this mod seems completely odd

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    ok sorry, wrong terminology, is the bracket further out or not? otherwise this mod seems completely odd
    Like Fummins stated, the brake pads and calipers are the same for all Mirages. Larger brackets for the brakes/calipers are needed to fit around the larger 2017+ rotors.

If a person picked up some larger 2017+ brake brackets @ a salvage yard, they could just buy the larger rotors when it was time to replace their brake pads/rotors.

I consider brake pads & rotors wear items that have to be replaced on all vehicles if kept long enough. Larger 2017+ rotors may cost a few bucks more than the smaller 2014-15 ones.

I personally wouldn't bother doing this, but making the change would be simple (especially if it's time to replace your current worn out brakes).

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Like Fummins stated, the brake pads and calipers are the same for all Mirages. Larger brackets for the brakes/calipers are needed to fit around the larger 2017+ rotors.

If a person picked up some larger 2017+ brake brackets @ a salvage yard, they could just buy the larger rotors when it was time to replace their brake pads/rotors.

I consider brake pads & rotors wear items that have to be replaced on all vehicles if kept long enough. Larger 2017+ rotors may cost a few bucks more than the smaller 2014-15 ones.

I personally wouldn't bother doing this, but making the change would be simple (especially if it's time to replace your current worn out brakes).
    i thought people were doing it for some sort of increased brake performance but the way you are explaining it sounds more like they just want more options when it comes to rotor replacement

i guess it moves the pads out further which improves braking, but no one in this thread talks about it

Last edited by skyblue; 05-26-2022 at 02:08 AM.