Thread: Test Drove it, Bought it (2014 Mirage SE manual 5sp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Test Drove it, Bought it (2014 Mirage SE manual 5sp)

Mirage 2014 Se Man 5sp (without conveniance pack) Now after 2000Km on dial here is my first (first time ever) review. I hope it will cover enough as I have never done this before.

Exterior

Very good looking, round but with character. Stands out in a crowd. Many colors to choose from whether you like regular colors like grey, black or more cheerful colors like flashy green, purple ect.

Despite it's cheap price tag the exterior does not look cheap, it feels solid and well done.
    The 14 inch Mags look good on the car but with it's 165 tires it looks a bit flimsy (Keep in mind that its for economy and i did say that it looks not that it is)

The front and rear bumpers make it look sporty and that nice rear wing gives it a very sleek looking line.

Interior

You get what you buy, don't expect all type all luxury stuff with the SE model (high end model here in Canada) The SE grants you heated seat (which are GREAT!) power windows front and rear power mirrors, painted door handles, the 6 way adjusting driver seat, fog lights heated side mirrors and other thing that won't list because of reasons :P The seats are quite comfortable even in long rides. There is a bit of wind noise but nothing that I find extremely loud. you can hear some of the road noise but not all. Radio sound great could be better but still quite good, USB and aux input are very nice and handy to have. (as stated before I do not have the convenience pack so no Bluetooth radio or cruise control) Rear seat are good also when folded over they give quite a bit of boot space enough to get most little thing around boxes for moving ect...

Engine and transmission

Engine for me has enough to pull you around even at Highway speeds down shift and you can get up to speed with enough ease, Engine has a nice tone, some say it's slightly too noisy but hey i like my engine sound so it doesn't bother me but I wouldn't say it's loud. Transmission is well geared for the HP and TQ of the engine it doesn't bog down on gear and if shift properly you can stay in the power band quite easily. The clutch... engaging point is quite high but that's about it but it can be adjusted so it's not a real problem.

Suspension

Soft as most people say that about it it's a city car not really thought as a hot hatch with 180Hp it won't handle like a sports car. i personally have pushed it to 130km/h and took a curve and yup too soft for that type of driving, but that is not for what i bought it for, it's supposed to be an economic car not a sport machine, but i agree that the suspension could be harder for a better overall enjoyment of the ride.

The turning radius is great to get in and out of the city, parking lots and most tight situation.
    At 100Km/h it's very stable doesn't wobble even if its windy, slight wind noise but that's it.

Drive

I can't say much for summer but for fall and winter situations it's great i already have snow on the floor and it's no problem the abs and stab control aren't intrusive they act when you know they should, it also has that handy OFF button in case you are stuck in snow or something. Overall whether highway or city it perform well.

Overall

I really like it and for a daily drive I would recommend it to anyone that need a car but doesn't have that 30 000$ plus for a car or simply wants a no frills vehicle!

I hope you guys like it and let me know if i missed something

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darkfly600 For This Useful Post:

beerbelly58 (09-09-2014),Daox (11-30-2013),MetroMPG (11-28-2013)

Really thorough review - thanks Darkfly600! (Hope you don't mind I added the pic and bold headlines.)

The clutch... engaging point is quite high but that's about it but i can be adjusted so it's not a real problem.
    You have seen this?

Thread: HOW TO: Adjust clutch engagement point - Mitsubishi Mirage / Space Star

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Darkfly600 (11-28-2013)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yep I have, it was more of a remark more then anything else, i don't really have a problem with it

Thanks for the edit it does look much better that way :P
    Last edited by Darkfly600; 11-28-2013 at 05:45 PM.

No problem - thanks for posting a thorough review.

Your comment about the high engagement was the same as Alpha_One's. I didn't really notice it when I tried the 5-speed Mirage in Ottawa, and I'm picky about my clutch engagement point. ( I actually re-adjusted mine recently.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Great review, Darkfly. I agree with all that you have said. I found the radio to be adequate, but not as loud as I'd like it. Seems my radio plays louder when I use my MP3 player through the USB port, though.

Wish heated seats were an option here in the states. Enjoy 'em.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 53.1 mpg (US) ... 22.6 km/L ... 4.4 L/100 km ... 63.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Very nice review, thanks.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Im glad your liking your new mirage!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to grsupercity For This Useful Post:

Darkfly600 (12-09-2013)