Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help, (suspension thread)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hmmm interesting, thanks for some input, I know wider would rub a bit but wasn't planning on going super crazy, maybe a 7.5 which I know will rub depending on tire. Also on the godspeed topic, I ran godspeeds on my spec v and had friends that had them on other vehicles. We all thought they were awful. No matter how we put them from stock height, to minor lowering, to completely maxing them out. They always would bottom out or blow out within the first month. Which is why I've been so hesitant on godspeeds. They're nice for the dampening settings but always had problems with them. I know some of the Mexico guys are running older civic springs in the front and yaris springs in the back but they're also cutting them(which I dont plan on doing) but still haven't found a solution for shocks and struts. I find irritating. So in hope I was wondering if yaris would work but been told that you had to drill in the lower bushing for them to fit in the back with just simple top hat swap. But still no solution for the front. I know everybody talks about the rear shock but what about the fronts? I mainly just want to know compatibility of other suspensions from other vehicles for this tiny grocery getter.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mejiasebass View Post
    still haven't found a solution for shocks and struts. I find irritating.
    This has been a long-standing hangup for this car for some folks.

It would be a breakthrough if you can identify a suspension kit that can be adapted for the Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Wheel fitment on the Mirage takes a lot of consideration of wheel offset. You get to a certain point where you have the perfect width and offset on the front... that same offset won't work on the rear.

I ended up rolling the front fenders and rolling and slightly pulling the rear fenders to fit 15x7 35mm offset w/ 205/50 tires. The 35mm offset was good in the front (kept the tire off of the strut and just barely cleared the rolled fender), the rear would have been happier with a 38 or even 41 offset. Lots of room on the inside... rubbing on the outside.

If you stick with 195 tires, it's easier. And easier still with 185's.
    Simplify and add lightness.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-02-2019),Subcompact Culture (10-03-2019),Top_Fuel (10-02-2019)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I ran 195/50/15 tires on 15x6.5 wheels with a +38 offset and rubbed with a passenger at stock height. With a person in the back, it was horrible. I then installed Eibach Pro Kit springs (which came from Europe), and the car rubbed like crazy all the time. It was so bad, I took the wheels/tires off. Instead, I went very conservatively and ordered 15x5 wheels with a +45 offset from Japan (5Zigen Pro Racer GN+); it's their kei car fitment. I shod them with the factory-optional 175/55/15 tires and have zero rubbing.

It's shocking (no pun intended ... er maybe it was) that there is no manufacturer offering replacement struts and shocks for the 2014–2019 Mirage. However, apparently KYB does offer an application in SE Asian markets.

I have yet to actually see anyone who's installed Yaris/Fit springs up front.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Subcompact Culture For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-03-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Mejiasebass View Post
    I mainly just want to know compatibility of other suspensions from other vehicles for this tiny grocery getter.
    If you are thinking a front strut assembly from a honda is going to be an exact bolt in I kinda doubt it. You may find something that is close and requires some hacking or welding. I don't think anyone's found a different front strut that'll interchange on this forum.

But if you're fast Rockauto is showing 2 KYB struts for a 15' Mirage. I'm sure someone here will buy them up right away. $51.79usd a piece sounds fair.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You don't want to lower any more than 1" - 1 1/2" on a FWD car. A FWD car thats too low will perform worse than stock.

If you were keen on lowering a lot and having better spring rates then you should've went for the BC Racing or Silvers. The Silvers spring rates are a bit higher but the BCs are a lot higher.

https://coiloverdepot.com/products/1...nt=44167766533

https://coiloverdepot.com/products/1...15898843545674
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    But if you're fast Rockauto is showing 2 KYB struts for a 15' Mirage. I'm sure someone here will buy them up right away.
    somebody did ;-)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by benwerks View Post
    somebody did ;-)
    forgive me for jumping on those kyb's. i was getting an itchy trigger finger when i saw there were 5 left.

theres some solo struts on ebay for around $90

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132550320957

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm almost positive the yaris front struts would work. Almost all the bolts line up haven't actually tried to put them on yet, but measurements are fairly identical. I know the rear struts from a yaris work if you drill out the bushing from the bottom a little bigger or swap bushings. Simple change tops hats. Here soon I'll have some more info on this. And for sure knowledge on this process. I just want to solve this crisis of finding struts and shocks. Because these things seem to never be stocked sadly. And I know lowering a car to unpratical level would ride worse than stock. I've owned many cars that were pretty much to the ground and most were FWD. But also had the most fun with tracking them at that level. But the tracks we have out here aren't that great since mainly most of them are basically a huge parking lot with cones and the closest track is about 100 miles away. So it kind of sucks a bit. People haven't use the fit springs in the front a lot people from mexico would use the older civic springs in the front and yaris springs in the back. They work great for back but the front is ehh from what they make it sound like. Would be great if the rear was spring on strut instead of the independent rear. But either way. I'm going to try this out and hope it works out. I have a buddy who has a chevy Cruze and somehow managed to run e46 suspension on it no modifications. I even helped him installed and was straight bolt on and rides great. So I'm hoping to have the same luck.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This has been a long-standing hangup for this car for some folks.

It would be a breakthrough if you can identify a suspension kit that can be adapted for the Mirage.
    We do see this line of questioning a lot.

"The Mirage is a small Japanese hatchback, right? So where are all of the Honda-esque aftermarket mod parts?"

Aftermarket replacements for stock OEM parts are few and far between for the Mirage, and the tuner crowd has pretty much ignored this car so far. If you can find something that works, let us know.