Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CVT & Pulse and Glide

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    ?????? What's the last "it" in your sentence? manual or CVT (assume manual maybe?)

I hold no prejudice against a person's race, religion, or preferred transmission!
    Fuel economy. I was going to say hypermiling but didn't think it would apply here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I doubt you'll see any benefit in P&G with the CVT vs. steady speed cruising at the ultra-low RPM which is its efficiency forte.

P&G works with a manual trans because you can demand a high load at relatively low RPM (the pulse) where the engine operates at optimal brake specific fuel consumption. When you demand high power from a CVT drivetrain, it spools up the RPM past the efficiency sweet spot.

Try it over the same route vs. steady cruising and see if you can see a difference. My bet is no (or worse).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I doubt you'll see any benefit in P&G with the CVT vs. steady speed cruising at the ultra-low RPM which is its efficiency forte.

P&G works with a manual trans because you can demand a high load at relatively low RPM (the pulse) where the engine operates at optimal brake specific fuel consumption. When you demand high power from a CVT drivetrain, it spools up the RPM past the efficiency sweet spot.

Try it over the same route vs. steady cruising and see if you can see a difference. My bet is no (or worse).
    The onboard mpg gauge shows ~48mpg with P&G, about ~40mg without ... but then I travel on very hilly roads, so that's why P&G probably helps.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    The onboard mpg gauge shows ~48mpg with P&G, about ~40mg without ... but then I travel on very hilly roads, so that's why P&G probably helps.
    I've found that coasting tends to skew the MID fuel economy gauge towards some optimistic readings. You can verify this by comparing MID readings against MPG calculated at fill-up.

Don't get me wrong - coasting does help improve fuel economy. Just the MID gauge doesn't do a very good job calculating fuel economy while coasting.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)