Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tire rub from back passengers with 175 65 r14?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Tire rub from back passengers with 175 65 r14?

Hi fellas! I need your input on a question. My Potenzas are getting pretty bald on account of all the Uber driving Ive been doing lately and Im going to be making the switch this winter to the recommended 175 65 r14, the prices on them are just too good to pass up. On account that I often have back passengers with luggage and Im not upgrading the soft suspension (I enjoy the cushy feel of it), will I experience tire rub with the higher 175s? Id like to avoid that if possible.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Hi fellas! I need your input on a question. My Potenzas are getting pretty bald on account of all the Uber driving Ive been doing lately and Im going to be making the switch this winter to the recommended 175 65 r14, the prices on them are just too good to pass up. On account that I often have back passengers with luggage and Im not upgrading the soft suspension (I enjoy the cushy feel of it), will I experience tire rub with the higher 175s? Id like to avoid that if possible.
    Since the Mirage comes with either 165/65r14 (22.4") & 175/55r15 (22.6") stock tires, you have to decide if 175/65r14 (23") tires are going to be a problem. I highly doubt a 0.4-0.6" increase in outside tire diameter is going to create an issue.

Just looking at what's available on Walmart's website, I would just buy the 165/65r14 Federal SS657 for $43.97. I don't see a cheaper 175/65r14 tire that I would consider.

If I was buying a 175/65r14 tire from Walmart this morning, I would consider a slightly pricer tire like the Cooper Evolution Tour for $53.99 (65,000 mile warranty) or the Falken Sincera SN250 A/S for $55.40 (80,000 mile warranty). Steve got 70,000+ miles out of his Falken tires before replacing them on his "cheap plastic car". He had very good luck with them, but they aren't always available through Walmart.

Availability & prices change a lot on Walmart's site. Tomorrow I may pick something else. I wouldn't let Walmart do an oil change on my car, but I would have them balance/mount tires that I bought from them if the price is right.

I also compare prices on simpletire.com, tires-easy.com, tirerack.com, & others. The advantage of Walmart is they have auto shops all over the United States, & mounting/balancing tires is not something I would do myself. If you have a good ma/pa tire shop nearby, I wouldn't rule out what they suggest or could do for you, too.

You seemed to be swayed to 175/65r14 tires, & there is nothing wrong with that. That tire size gives you a lot options that will fit nicely on your current rims. 110 results came up for 175/65r14 tires @ just Walmart alone verses 9 results (most I've ever seen for them) for the 165/65r14.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    ...consider a slightly pricier tire
    ...like the Cooper Evolution Tour for $53.99 (65,000 mile warranty)
    ...or the Falken Sincera SN250 A/S for $55.40 (80,000 mile warranty).
    +1

A $40 tire that only lasts 40,000 miles isn't really a bargain when $55 will get you a tire that lasts twice as long.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-06-2019),Marklovski (10-06-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    +1

A $40 tire that only lasts 40,000 miles isn't really a bargain when $55 will get you a tire that lasts twice as long.
    A $44 Federal SS657 tire is a bargain when compared to $118.99 Dunlop Enasave that probably wouldn't last any longer. I have both of these tires on my car at the moment (Federal up front & Dunlop on back). I would buy the Federal over the Dunlop even if they were the same price.

There are some pretty good tire options out there that are under half the price of the Dunlop Enasave tires. If you are willing to explore other options like 175/65r14 tires, this is especially true. I wouldn't buy a tire based on price alone.

I don't totally endorse the Federal tires, but I have been happy with the pair I have so far (about 14,000 miles on them). I do feel confident recommending the Cooper & Falken tires. They make good mid-priced tires.

I have never used Falken tires, but I would surely consider them for their price/value.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    A $44 Federal SS657 tire is a bargain when compared to $118.99 Dunlop Enasave that probably wouldn't last any longer. I have both of these tires on my car at the moment (Federal up front & Dunlop on back). I would buy the Federal over the Dunlop even if they were the same price.

There are some pretty good tire options out there that are under half the price of the Dunlop Enasave tires. If you are willing to explore other options like 175/65r14 tires, this is especially true. I wouldn't buy a tire based on price alone.

I don't totally endorse the Federal tires, but I have been happy with the pair I have so far (about 14,000 miles on them). I do feel confident recommending the Cooper & Falken tires. They make good mid-priced tires.

I have never used Falken tires, but I would surely consider them for their price/value.
    Thanks Mark! I always appreciate your input. So you think even with the soft suspension, adults and luggage in the back Ill be allright? I just thought the 175s would fill the tire well and it could be a possibility? I feel alot better about it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks Mark! I always appreciate your input. So you think even with the soft suspension, adults and luggage in the back Ill be allright? I just thought the 175s would fill the tire well and it could be a possibility? I feel alot better about it.
    I got almost 90k miles out of my Falken SN211 tires in that size and I was doing Uber back then. My FalkenSN250 tires got nearly 80k miles.

I'm a huge fan of Falken tires, they just weren't available when I made my last tire purchase from Walmart.

Here is an interesting bit of information. The last set of tires I ordered from Walmart.com was a 70k mile Hancook tire for $30 something dollars a tire. Even though I ordered the tires from Walmart.com, they were shipped by Simple Tire.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I respect Steve's opinion of his Falken tires. No one that I know of has driven more miles in a Mirage than he has. Dirk - you may be happier with the 175/65r14 tires.

I use my Mirage for myself mostly. I seldom have a passenger. I prefer skinny tires for snow, but that's not an issue for you. I think Falken tires for $50-60 are a great value. I think Steve may have even got them lower than that originally. Tire prices fluctuate a lot.

Back to your original question - I haven't heard anyone having any issues with 175/65r14 tires rubbing. If it was huge load, the factory size tire would probably rub, too. I wouldn't let that stop you from buying this size. It's still a good choice for 14" X 4.5" factory steel rims.

My main point - don't just go to the 175/65r14 tire size to cheap out on tires. Use that size to pick a good tire for the money like Steve does with his cheap plastic car. He also lives more in the south like you, too!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Do you have the airlift 1000 kit? Great for hauling weight in the back.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I got almost 90k miles out of my Falken SN211 tires in that size and I was doing Uber back then. My FalkenSN250 tires got nearly 80k miles.

I'm a huge fan of Falken tires, they just weren't available when I made my last tire purchase from Walmart.

Here is an interesting bit of information. The last set of tires I ordered from Walmart.com was a 70k mile Hancook tire for $30 something dollars a tire. Even though I ordered the tires from Walmart.com, they were shipped by Simple Tire.
    Yeah I went to the Walmart tire center and the clerk there said no Walmart will put 175s on my car, only stock size tires. Unbelievable!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    ...I went to the Walmart tire center and the clerk there said no Walmart will put 175s on my car, only stock size tires.
    Some larger corporate places do that...although this is the first I've heard of a Wal-Mart doing it. It's a liability thing. Costco is well-known for the same policy. If a specific size tire didn't come on your car (or the speed rating is not adequate for the car) they won't sell the tire to you. I would try another Walmart. If that doesn't work and you really want tires from Walmart, then you'll have to carry your wheels in (without the car). At that point they won't care because they aren't the ones mounting the wheels on the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-07-2019)