Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire rub from back passengers with 175 65 r14?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Yeah I went to the Walmart tire center and the clerk there said no Walmart will put 175s on my car, only stock size tires. Unbelievable!
    I believe Steve buys his 175/65r14 tires from Walmart and has them mount/balance for him. They even install new sensors for him, but he had to go to a Discount tire to get them working (which they did for free). He done 3 or more sets of tires this way. He never expressed a problem.

I bought my last pair of tires from simpletire.com, because they were the cheapest. My local mechanic mounted/balanced them for $20. He didn't even make up a slip.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah I went to the Walmart tire center and the clerk there said no Walmart will put 175s on my car, only stock size tires. Unbelievable!
    I had one Walmart refuse to rotate my tires because they weren’t OEM size. The kid who turned me down probably didn’t know the difference between a brake pad or brake shoe either. I’ve never been back to that place.

I’ve been to half a dozen other Walmart tire centers since then and have never had a problem.

Order your tires from Walmart.com instead of ordering them in store. It’s cheaper that way. Also, call around asking different Walmart tire centers what they charge for installing their tires. Believe it or not, the install prices can be different depending on what Walmart you visit. The Walmart closest to me wanted $12 per tire plus another $4 for each valve. I didn’t need valves from them because I was providing new TPMS sensors with stems! Even when I told them that, they still wanted an extra $4 per tire!

The Walmart I ended up going to only charged me $12 per tire including lifetime balance and rotation. That same Walmart installed two other sets of tires for me at just $12 per tire and either reused my valves or gave me new ones without ever charging me $4 extra.

Walmart.com shouldn’t be cheaper than in store but it is. Different Walmart tire centers shouldn’t be able to charge different prices for tire installs but they do. What’s funny is, you still get nationwide tire balance and rotations no matter where the install was originally done. I got my last rotation done at the Walmart that tried to charge me an extra $4 per tire for valve stems.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-07-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    I had one Walmart refuse to rotate my tires because they weren’t OEM size. The kid who turned me down probably didn’t know the difference between a brake pad or brake shoe either. I’ve never been back to that place.

I’ve been to half a dozen other Walmart tire centers since then and have never had a problem.

Order your tires from Walmart.com instead of ordering them in store. It’s cheaper that way. Also, call around asking different Walmart tire centers what they charge for installing their tires. Believe it or not, the install prices can be different depending on what Walmart you visit. The Walmart closest to me wanted $12 per tire plus another $4 for each valve. I didn’t need valves from them because I was providing new TPMS sensors with stems! Even when I told them that, they still wanted an extra $4 per tire!

The Walmart I ended up going to only charged me $12 per tire including lifetime balance and rotation. That same Walmart installed two other sets of tires for me at just $12 per tire and either reused my valves or gave me new ones without ever charging me $4 extra.

Walmart.com shouldn’t be cheaper than in store but it is. Different Walmart tire centers shouldn’t be able to charge different prices for tire installs but they do. What’s funny is, you still get nationwide tire balance and rotations no matter where the install was originally done. I got my last rotation done at the Walmart that tried to charge me an extra $4 per tire for valve stems.
    Good advice! Shop around! Last few times I bought tires Walmart wasn't the cheapest. I never rule out Walmart, but I also shop around.

I never rule out local tire shops either. Purchased, mounted, & balanced, local tire shops can have the best deal sometimes.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-07-2019)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am running a 15x7 wheel and tire combo on my Mirage and was unhappy with tire choices for 195/50r15 tires until I found and recently installed a set of Falken Ziex 950 tires and I am loving them so far.

Just pull the wheels off in the parking lot and roll them in one at a time. Tell them they're for an offroad trailer or make something up til they install them lol.

I once got tires from a small town dump, lady who worked there said they can't knowingly let people take tires and use them on a vehicle, only for landscape other non road uses. So I had to tell her I was using them for flower planters.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-08-2019),fc321 (10-24-2019),mohammad (12-03-2021)