Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: This is why people buy a Mirage, according to Mitsubishi

This is why people buy a Mirage, according to Mitsubishi

With the debut of the newly-facelifted 2021 Mirage in Montreal, Mitsubishi has been talking up the car to the Canadian automotive media.

I've learned a few new factoids about Mirage customers:

“It’s quite a unique customer,” said Juyu Jeon, president and CEO of Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada. “Why customers buy Mirage is all obsessing about fuel efficiency. (For) 65 percent (of Mirage buyers), the top reason to buy Mirage was fuel efficiency, which is almost 30 percent higher than the segment average.
    From: https://www.wheels.ca/news/updated-2...agging-rights/

That honestly surprises me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Marklovski (01-21-2020)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote: the top reason to buy Mirage was fuel efficiency, which is almost 30 percent higher than the segment average.

I don't understand.
    Is he saying it uses 30% more fuel than segment average?
    Is he saying the 65% that bought mirage are 30% more folks buying it for that reason, than compared to other buyers in that segment that bought something else?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post

“It’s quite a unique customer,” said Juyu Jeon, president and CEO of Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada. “Why customers buy Mirage is all obsessing about fuel efficiency. (For) 65 percent (of Mirage buyers), the top reason to buy Mirage was fuel efficiency, which is almost 30 percent higher than the segment average.

That honestly surprises me.
    Why does that surprise you? What else would be the top reason for buying a Mirage?

If we had the Micra in the States, I wouldn't even test drive one. The lower mpg would not interest in me. If I am going to drive a small economy car, it better get 40+ mpg year round.

My 1990 Ford Festiva did that 30 years ago, and I would expect any new economy car to be able to match or beat that. My Mirage does better than my former 1990 Ford Festiva even though the Mirage is heavier, more powerful, has 4-doors & A/C.

Affordable, reliable & economical - reduce any of those three items, & I become less interested in a Mirage.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (01-30-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Is he saying the 65% that bought mirage are 30% more folks buying it for that reason, than compared to other buyers in that segment that bought something else?
    ^ That's what he's saying. The car isn't 30% more efficient.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Why does that surprise you? What else would be the top reason for buying a Mirage?
    Warranty? Price? ("We'll finance anyone!")

Sexy, sexy styling?

I'm just surprised that among normies, 65% said fuel economy was their #1 consideration.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (01-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Warranty? Price? ("We'll finance anyone!")

Sexy, sexy styling?

I'm just surprised that among normies, 65% said fuel economy was their #1 consideration.
    Maybe practical people buy Mirages?

Surely people with big egos probably don't!

Just ask car snobs like Doug Demuro!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Warranty? Price?
    I was surprised by that, too. I figure the average US buyer of a new Mirage wants an inexpensive dependable car with a long warranty. I would have thought fuel efficiency would be on the list after price and warranty. Based on the forum's Fuel Economy Log, most people here aren't obsessed with fuel economy.

Once pricing shakes out on the 2021 Mirage, it will likely continue to be more expensive than the Spark’s current $9,998 price point;

the 2020 Mirage will start at $12,298
    Mitsubishi needs to re-think the pricing on these cars. The Mirage could be the most fuel efficient and least expensive vehicle in the US. Nobody pays $13K for a base model Mirage in the US. At least I hope nobody paid that much.

EDIT - I think this article is quoting Canadian pricing? You can't buy a Spark in the US for $9,998.

Name:  price.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  25.8 KB

^^^ C'mon Mitsubishi. Almost $14,000 for a base Mirage? What are they smoking?!?
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 01-21-2020 at 06:29 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    At the end of the day, it really is all about how much it'd cost. Personally, I wouldn't buy a brand new mirage for what they're asking BUT for the options the newest Mirages have now, it's not 'too' bad. And also to factor in, some dealerships will offer discounts which could bring down the prices too.

But I did buy the Mirage bc of gas mileage. Especially for my commute. So, I guess I am part of that 65% lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

I'm sure there are a few that stated they bought the mirage for fuel efficiency cause it sounds better than "it's the only car I could qualify for financing, good fuel economy is just a bonus". Before people get triggered, I said "few" not all
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (01-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    ...Before people get triggered...
    Too late...

Name:  broke.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  31.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

2of9 (01-22-2020),Fummins (01-21-2020),Marklovski (01-21-2020),MetroMPG (01-21-2020)