Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage 1.2 CVT year 2018 or 2019?

Country
    Belgium
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Mirage 1.2 CVT year 2018 or 2019?

Hello
    I am a new member of the Mirage forum. I am from Belgium. I am interested in buying a new Mirage ES (Invite) CVT, 1193 cc ; 59 kw ; 80 ch. I would like to ask a few questions before I make a decision.

1/Are all the Mirage cvt built the same worlwide in term of reliability? I 've read good reviews from American cvt owners. For an identic model, good American cvt mirage will it mean good cvt mirage in Belgium or it really depends on the country?

2/ What do you think it is best to buy: a new Invite 1.2 CVT year 2018 (I get 2 more years warranty with this one ) or a new Invite 1.2 CVT year 2019? Is there any particular problems with one of these models?

3/ I am also concerned about the wheel alignment & the flywheel/ starter defect which seem to be a very common problem. A new rear axle is likely to cure the problem but it's not a guaranteed fix. How can I ask the dealer to check for alignment before buying it because it means he has to bring the new car only to test it for me?
    Are 2018 /2019 cvt mirage also have flywheel/ starter defect?

I would really appreciate if you could share your experience. Thank you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    1) These cars are, I believe, all made in Thailand at the same factory no matter what market they are destined for. I suspect that reliability and build quality are pretty uniform, but you might read some European long-term owner reviews to see if there are any specific problems cropping up on cars sold in your market.

2) Here in the States, the '18 and '19 models are essentially the same car. No major changes were made, save for a couple things becoming standard equipment here instead of options. Standard and package equipment is likely quite different between the US and Europe, so it would mostly be a matter of choosing the car that suits you best.

3) The alignment issue was quite common on early cars ('14-'15), less so on later cars. Be mindful about steering wheel alignment when you are driving these cars, and note if the car tends to drift or pull in one direction or the other. These are symptoms of an alignment issue. The rear axle issue is covered under warranty here in the US, and the same is likely true in Europe. The starter engagement defect with the CVT cars was limited to very early 2014 cars here in the States, and Mitsubishi had it remedied by mid-year. It is not a problem on either the '18 or '19 models.

Please let us know what you decide!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Charlot (10-11-2019),Daox (10-11-2019)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Mine is the cheapest European model with manual transmission and 1.0L engine, made in 2014.
    Price was €7999.-
    I quote "Don't worry, be happy!"
    If you are looking for a good reliable car, and also very economical, you are looking correctly.
    Before you finally decide getting a 1.2L CVT, have a look at the 1.0L MT, you might prefer it at second glance.

It was new to me the warranty differs between 2018 and 2019 models, but doesn't really surprise me.

The importer to Europe (not Mitsubishi!) gave following collection of warrantees:
    In year one and two unlimited milage, as European law mandates.
    In year three (month 25-36) the importers warranty was limited to 100 000km.
    In year four and five a heavily limited "warranty", actually being an insurance policy from a company called "CarGarantie".

After closely reading warranty conditions and coverage, I wondered if there was any real value in that warranty for year four and five.

On the other hand, you will most probably not need any warranty at all. These cars are highly reliable.
    Last edited by foama; 10-11-2019 at 12:56 PM.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Charlot (10-11-2019),Daox (10-11-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Mine is the cheapest European model with manual transmission and 1.0L engine, made in 2014.
    Price was €7999.-
    I quote "Don't worry, be happy!"
    If you are looking for a good reliable car, and also very economical, you are looking correctly.
    Before you finally decide getting a 1.2L CVT, have a look at the 1.0L MT, you might prefer it at second glance.

It was new to me the warranty differs between 2018 and 2019 models, but doesn't really surprise me.

The importer to Europe (not Mitsubishi!) gave following collection of warrantees:
    In year one and two unlimited milage, as European law mandates.
    In year three (month 25-36) the importers warranty was limited to 100 000km.
    In year four and five a heavily limited "warranty", actually being an insurance policy from a company called "CarGarantie".

After closely reading warranty conditions and coverage, I wondered if there was any real value in that warranty for year four and five.

On the other hand, you will most probably not need any warranty at all. These cars are highly reliable.
    Damn, and here I am with a 10yr160.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    They're a good value for the $ definitely. I love how Mitsubishi had the foresight to manufacture an affordable, reliable car that fits an ever growing niche. One good thing to note too, the most talented car experts on here pretty much all drive the 5speed but a consistent message from them says "If they had to drive a JATCO CVT, it would be a Mirage." Due to less stress and low torque." From what I gather high torque is a CVT killer.

Country
    Belgium
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    They're a good value for the $ definitely. I love how Mitsubishi had the foresight to manufacture an affordable, reliable car that fits an ever growing niche. One good thing to note too, the most talented car experts on here pretty much all drive the 5speed but a consistent message from them says "If they had to drive a JATCO CVT, it would be a Mirage." Due to less stress and low torque." From what I gather high torque is a CVT killer.
    Thanks! Other than a Mirage Jatco CVT, which subcompact car has the most reliable automatic transmission out there? I can't drive manual.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You guys get the real Yaris over there still... not the Mazda badge engineered crap we get in the U.S. I'd look into one of those as they're tough little cars that run forever.

It's Toyota's discontinuing of the actual Toyota built Yaris in the United States that pushed me away from them and into the driver's seat of a Mitsubishi. I'll be damned if I'm going to spend Toyota money for a garbage Mazda.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    You guys get the real Yaris over there still... not the Mazda badge engineered crap we get in the U.S. I'd look into one of those as they're tough little cars that run forever.

It's Toyota's discontinuing of the actual Toyota built Yaris in the United States that pushed me away from them and into the driver's seat of a Mitsubishi. I'll be damned if I'm going to spend Toyota money for a garbage Mazda.
    I thought Mazdas are reliable? They are built in Japan, unlike our Mirages.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    How things have changed. Imagine this conversation forty years ago.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I thought Mazdas are reliable? They are built in Japan, unlike our Mirages.
    I've heard from many of the techs and service writers at the local Toyota dealer that the Mazda built car is a turd. After driving one, I agree. Hell, even the Mirage has more passenger room inside of it than that stupid thing. HATE!

And now there's a NEW Yaris that's coming out that's really really nice... and we won't be getting it. Stupid Toyota.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...