Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New owner first impressions

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New owner first impressions

I’ve had the G4 for a week now and thought I’d do my own amateur review of my initial impressions, good and bad.

Initial good: I got a 2017 car with 27k on the odo and 2 years of the 5 year warranty remaining for $6500.

Exterior: it is a narrow car, especially when sitting in the parking lot among all the suv’s; fairly similar to an older Yaris. I have the ES, and while the thought has crossed my mind to add fog lights, I remember I had them on the Fit and never used them, so I won’t. Still mulling adding the oem rear spoiler, although I don’t want to mess with the mpg’s I’ve been getting. I know oem side runners are available, but I’m not sure I want to add weight to this little gas sipper.

Interior: it’s spartan (had to work that in there), but everything works. It does not feel cramped at all. Base stereo works fine. After reading other reviews, I was initially worried about the available volume, but it’s fine for me. It feels luxurious to me, because I’m coming from a car where, while the radio worked, some of the led’s were burned out and in the daytime I could never read the clock or radio station! The road noise is not that bad; I hear more engine noise than wind noise (but I have the 5 speed). Back seat is fairly spacious. I do see early signs of the seat material kind of loosening up, and I know that is a common complaint. I will likely get a seat cover to help protect that from further deterioration. Factory floor mats do not seem to be holding up that well in the front, so will look toward replacing them with maybe some hexmats. For a subcompact, the trunk is really spacious; I got groceries the other day and they all fit with room to spare. I know it’s a small car, but I feel the heat/ac fan could be a little stronger, for a more forceful airflow. Oh, and when I drive with one hand at 12, I can’t see the speedometer (minor gripe, I know).

Engine compartment: everything is layed out nicely. Lots of room to check what you need to check (oil dipstick, coolant, wiper fluid, air filter-after Dirk’s story I made sure one was in there). Oil filter location is good, not great, but I love the little trough to help direct the residual oil when you remove it. Thoughtful design.

Drivability: Have you ever seen an old World War 2 movie when they start the airplanes? That’s kind of the feel I get when I turn the key. I keep waiting for someone to yell “contact”, lol. It’s a little louder starter than I’m used to, but I’m chalking that up to less sound insulation. It immediately quiets right down into that little 3 cylinder idle we all know and love. For the first few days I babied the car, getting to know how it reacts to different situations. The last couple of days I’ve gotten more aggressive (within legal limits, of course), and it’s here that the smiles kick in. That snarl of the engine when you down shift to get on the highway or make a passing maneuver is awesome. I’ve driven the CVT before and you just don’t get this; of course the CVT provides a lower RPM at highway speeds and a quieter ride, so there is that tradeoff. This car is NOT underpowered by any stretch of the imagination. Even cruising in 5th gear at 70 mph, there is more than enough there to make a pass. I do have a little age and experience to judge this by; if you’ve ever driven an older 4 cylinder SOHC without variable valve timing or fuel injection, you know how truly slow a small car can be. This is not one of them. I’m thinking back not-so-fondly to you, 1974 Mustang ll…

Handling: Here’s where things get dicey. Way too much body roll on not very aggressive maneuvers. I’m talking a cloverleaf on ramp, where I’m having to get on it to get up to speed and I find myself leaning against the door. Going over average bumps in the road and having all four corners wallow one at a time absorbing them. Even small bumps in the road, I get the feeling the back end is moving around for no reason. With the steering, I initially thought I had the rear axle alignment issue (as I was constantly correcting the wheel), but I think it is really just a lack of road feel. The steering works, it just feels oddly removed from the tire contact to the road. Now, I’m coming from a 2007 Honda Fit, which was like driving a kart, so maybe not a fair comparison. But it is one thing that is standing out to me, right or wrong. Does a Daox sway bar help with this any? I think I could tolerate the floaty suspension if I could just feel the road a little better.

Efficiency: Saved the best for last. This car is meeting and exceeding my fuel mileage exectations. My daily commute goes as follows: a 2 mile city drive to the freeway, 16 miles at 70mph, 5 miles at 65mph, 5 miles at 55mph and the last 6 miles at 50mph. If I drive these posted speed limits (or 1-2 miles under), I’m routinely getting 46-50mpg! Even at highway speeds with the 5 speed, at 70mph with the eco light on, I’m in the 40’s. This is what this car is made for: it’s light, adequate power to weight ratio and aerodynamic. And this is where it excels.

Honestly, right now, I like it but I want to love it. If I can fix the steering feel (or get used to it), it would go a long way. And reduce the body roll a bit. Don’t misunderstand, I’m not some wannabe street racer, I just like a little more connection to the road. Otherwise, she’s doing everything I want her to.

Last edited by AtomicPunk; 10-11-2019 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Stupid error.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-11-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    I’ve had the G4 for a week now and thought I’d do my own amateur review of my initial impressions, good and bad.

Initial good: I got a 2017 car with 27k on the odo and 2 years of the 5 year warranty remaining for $6500.

Exterior: it is a narrow car, especially when sitting in the parking lot among all the suv’s; fairly similar to an older Yaris. I have the ES, and while the thought has crossed my mind to add fog lights, I remember I had them on the Fit and never used them, so I won’t. Still mulling adding the oem rear spoiler, although I don’t want to mess with the mpg’s I’ve been getting. I know oem side runners are available, but I’m not sure I want to add weight to this little gas sipper.

Do you have a 5 speed manual, or a CVT? I would personally add the extra body cladding on my Mirage. I have seen some G4's with the whole bit with the fancy sideskirts etc. And it really finishes the car.

I don't think that will add much weight to the car. I know manual to automatic is like 150 lbs more weight, so that's where you weight adds up in the Mirage.

Why my 2014 ES is just bare bones stock, lightest possible Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice review!

With nearly 30k miles on it, odds are really good that your rear shocks are weak. That will make the car feel "floppy". The Mirage has a lot of roll, anyway. You need good shocks to keep it under control. Adding a rear swaybar will help, too. But, before you go modifying a suspension, priority 1 should be to return it to 100% of what it was designed to be in the first place.

And don't drive with one hand at 12:00.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    I was a bit skeptical of a rear sway bar, but it made a vast improvement on my 2107 ES manual. I could feel a difference immediately. Before I left my driveway, I was thinking "wow"! I was a bit surprised by this.

It helps stabilize the car when on the highway with a strong crosswind, too. I would start with a rear sway bar. Easy to install or remove (4 bolts).

Good honest review. I feel the electric steering is over done. I preferred the manual steering of small economy cars of the past, but the sway bar made a difference for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Nice review!

And don't drive with one hand at 12:00.
    Agreed, driving like a gangster is terrific way to break a wrist or forearm when the airbags blows off. Wife learned that one the hard way lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Nice review. As you said, this car is NOT underpowered. Considering the Mirage beats an MGB, Triumph (most eras), quite a few BMW's in the 0-60 race, really says it all.

Like you, I'm now at the point of altering my ride, I need stiffer springs because of a trailer, but will be installing a sway bar too. I'm OK with stock Enasave tires and I like the factory alloys but some people here have amazing wheels. I don't have deep enough pockets for that.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Do you have a 5 speed manual, or a CVT? I would personally add the extra body cladding on my Mirage. I have seen some G4's with the whole bit with the fancy sideskirts etc. And it really finishes the car.

I don't think that will add much weight to the car. I know manual to automatic is like 150 lbs more weight, so that's where you weight adds up in the Mirage.

Why my 2014 ES is just bare bones stock, lightest possible Mirage.

I have the 5 speed. And I agree, the side sill skirts do look nice.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-11-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The shocks only last to 30,000 miles? I will have them checked. Probably not a warranty item, eh?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Gangster-style, lol. Yep, you found me out. Honestly, I'm trying to find a hand position where I can kind of feel the road. Appreciate the safety tips, though!
    Last edited by AtomicPunk; 10-11-2019 at 04:42 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I was a bit skeptical of a rear sway bar, but it made a vast improvement on my 2107 ES manual. I could feel a difference immediately. Before I left my driveway, I was thinking "wow"! I was a bit surprised by this.

It helps stabilize the car when on the highway with a strong crosswind, too. I would start with a rear sway bar. Easy to install or remove (4 bolts).

Good honest review. I feel the electric steering is over done. I preferred the manual steering of small economy cars of the past, but the sway bar made a difference for me.
    Yeah, I think they took too much feel out with the electric steering. Looks like I may have to try the sway bar.