Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem: Small Evap Leak!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Thanks for the understanding remarks there Mark. I appreciate it. My experience with my Mirage this year has been frustrating to say the least. What can you do though, it is just a car, and I am trying to keep my mind focused on that.

I am thinking about replacing my Mirage as my daily driver in a year or less. I am leaning towards a new Subaru Impreza wagon AWD with a manual transmission. Rare breed indeed! This seems like a sensible car for my uses. They are somewhat expensive though. I would go with Blue Pearl for my paint for sure, or grey.

I am also looking at the cheapest new cars Kia and Hyundai are offering. I am looking for a few more goodies on my next car than my current bare-bones, 0 option Mirage ES. Like proper arm rests, more leg room, more power, bigger outside dimensions.

My Mirage is loaded with sentimental value, so it will become my summer MG in the future.
    Boxer engines are unique, but they are also hard to work on. A blown head gasket is a financial nightmare!

My 2011 Subaru Forester 2.5X manual replaced a 2000 Honda CR-V LX AWD manual. The Forester has more power, more features, nicer ride, better AWD system, & better towing capacity than my old CR-V. Yet, I would pick the 1st and 2nd generation Honda CR-V over any Forester. My old CR-V wasn't a ticking time bomb. My 2000 CR-V was rear ended by a Chevy Tahoe in 2013 & both vehicles were totaled. I had 154,000 miles on my CR-V, & it still had its original brakes. I kept asking my local mechanic about them, and he kept saying "nope they're good". The CR-V did everything I expected of it, without a lot of flash. In a way, the Mirage is the same. It does what it is designed to do quite well.

I am not going to say Subaru are horrible vehicles. Some people love them, and they have a cult-like following. I just like in-line 4-cylinder, AWD, manual vehicles better. Easier to work on. I must admit that the new Subaru vehicles do make changing oil easy (oil filter location). Since Subaru went to CVT, their towing capacity dropped even for their manuals. That's another turn off for me. My old Forester still has a 2,500 pounds towing capacity, and the newer ones are 1,500 pounds. Recently, the manual option has been dropped, too. I lose interest when that happens, and it's a common trend in the automotive world.

If I had to replaced my Forester today, I would be looking for a low mileage 1st/2nd generation Honda CR-V, Honda Element, or an older RAV4 with a manual transmission. Nothing else really inspires me, & I am counting on my Mirage to greatly extend the life of my current Forester for now. Not liking much else is cheaper, too!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Honda reliability sounds better than Subaru's, from your experience Mark. I guess both brands are touted to be bulletproof reliable.

I like that you can still get a brand-new Civic or Impreza with a manual transmission. On the downside, I find Honda's have gone way strange in their interior design, same with new Toyota's. Not in a good way.

My big thing is that I find my commute could definitely benefit having an AWD, and bigger vehicle. Mostly for in the winter. So I see you have a great setup for that, Subaru Forrester AND Mirage. I would like to have my Mirage all paid off before she becomes a second car.
    Last edited by dspace9; 12-14-2019 at 11:59 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Honda reliability sounds better than Subaru's, from your experience Mark. I guess both brands are touted to be bulletproof reliable.

I like that you can still get a brand-new Civic or Impreza with a manual transmission. On the downside, I find Honda's have gone way strange in their interior design, same with new Toyota's. Not in a good way.

My big thing is that I find my commute could definitely benefit having an AWD, and bigger vehicle. Mostly for in the winter. So I see you have a great setup for that, Subaru Forrester AND Mirage. I would like to have my Mirage all paid off before she becomes a second car.
    My Forester was easily burning a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. That's 6-7 quarts of expensive synthetic oil needing to be added between oil changes. I bought my Forester used @ 15,000 miles, & I did Mobil 1 oil changes every 6,000 miles. Due to a class action lawsuit against Subaru, they replaced my engine. When I picked up my Forester, 7 others were in line to have their engines replaced at this particular dealership.

At 154,000 miles (point where my Honda was totaled), my Honda never burned any oil. Things seem fine with my new Subaru engine, but I have only put a couple thousand miles on it since. The bulk of my mileage now goes on my Mirage, and that is why I have it.

My 2017 Mirage does not climb the winter ridge roads as well as my 2011 Forester, nor will it pull my trailer loaded with my compact 4WD diesel tractor with rototiller on back (probably my largest load that I haul at times). I have a need for AWD & some towing capacity for where I live & what I do. I live in the middle of the driftless part of the Midwest. We were never leveled by the glaciers. Thus, the landscape is bit more rugged. When my oldest daughter was very young, she asked her grandmother what it was like when the glaciers came through her area. My mom isn't that old, but we had a good laugh over that one!

Both vehicles are paid for. My oldest daughter & son-in-law live in Finland now. When they visit the States, I have a vehicle they can borrow. I used that excuse for for owning two vehicles, too.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I live in the middle of the driftless part of the Midwest. We were never leveled by the glaciers. Thus, the landscape is bit more rugged. )
    Yea eh Mark, no wonder there ended up a class-action lawsuit over that one with Subaru.

I've heard about the more rugged geography in your area of the midwest, my friend drove through there. Myself I have gone as far as to the UP Michigan many times.
    Last edited by dspace9; 12-14-2019 at 01:48 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Subaru "bulletproof" reliability for me meant reliable after dumping thousands into replacing multiple sensors, exspensive labor costs, major oil leakage, and the old auto trans slowly dying on me, AC going out, etc. I must of had the bad unicorn model.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-16-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Subaru "bulletproof" reliability for me meant reliable after dumping thousands into replacing multiple sensors, exspensive labor costs, major oil leakage, and the old auto trans slowly dying on me, AC going out, etc. I must of had the bad unicorn model.
    Ya eh Dirk, I was looking at the new Subaru's at the Detroit Auto Show back in 2016, and I was impressed. Imprezzaed?

I am listening to what you say about Subaru's. Stay clear of any late model Subaru. And listening to you and others on the Forum with bad expensive storys from issues with their own Subaru's. I will think twice now.

Subaru really advertises to be the be-all and end-all for quality and reliability.

My own Mirage seems to be the 1 in a million unicorn model you're talking about. More annoying dealer cheaping out of the 10 year warranty. I can see how the Mirage could be bulletproof, but I think the 10 year warranty is a bunch of half truths in the fine print as far as I am concerned.

For me with the flywheel and starter issue periodically stranding me a few times over the first 4 years, and now the evap leak, the whole thing could have been worse if Mitsubishi didn't cover most of that stuff. They fixed the issue, the Mirage Forum helped me with the recall document Mitsubishi never showed me.

I will give them that, they fixed some expensive stuff. But it took many hours of, to me, needless effort. So now I live with my evap leak. I am done with the struggle with my dealer.

Driving my car, you wouldn't know anything is wrong anyways. New car smell still/ No gas smell. I will drive it with the engine light on. And stay away from We-Serve gas stations.

I will keep everyone updated if I get my car fixed! Or turn off the engine light myself
    Last edited by dspace9; 12-16-2019 at 04:43 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-16-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I've owned a lot of Subarus a few years back. 90-96 EJ22's were great engines. After that though, garbage. My 03 WRX was the last straw. It was ALWAYS broken and was built like trash. I was done after I had that horrible unpleasant to service turd. Had a 03 Forester for a little while... had new head gaskets by the dealer right before I bought it and a few months after I sold it (had it for 4 months I think?) they blew AGAIN. No thanks.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-16-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I feel you. I'd at least have a trusted real mechanic give you an estimate for the repair. Otherwise put 200k miles on it and give it to charity as a tax write off, Ive done that, or give it to a friend in need and explain the car runs perfectly fine with a small glitch that barely effects anything.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    I've owned a lot of Subarus a few years back. 90-96 EJ22's were great engines. After that though, garbage. My 03 WRX was the last straw. It was ALWAYS broken and was built like trash. I was done after I had that horrible unpleasant to service turd. Had a 03 Forester for a little while... had new head gaskets by the dealer right before I bought it and a few months after I sold it (had it for 4 months I think?) they blew AGAIN. No thanks.
    Yeah I call Subaru, the Japanese Volvo, very safe, expensive, comfortable, but only reliable if you got the money for expensive parts and expensive labor charges. The flat 6 boxer enginevI had was a nightmare for mechs to work on!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but has anyone checked the fuel tank pressure sensor? I see there are two currently listed on Rock Auto so there must be a demand for them, right?

Rock Auto: Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)