Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem: Small Evap Leak!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    AtomicPunk: I have access to a reader, but I did not buy a 10-year warranty Mirage to do any work myself. In theory now, what a joke the Mitsubishi warranty is.

I wasn't getting on you for not providing a code, I was just pointing out there was never one listed so someone (like Fummins) can tell us why the cel is on. I'm on your side!

Last edited by Eggman; 09-12-2020 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Fixed BB Code

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'm sorry, I think things get take out of context, or I am so exhausted I say the wrong thing or overtext people, even on the Mitsubishi Forum. Digital sleepwalking

Eggman: good point. WHo else has had this problem??

Or is this a one in a million fluke that fell on me unfortunately?

Thanks Fummins, I didn't know Kia/Hyundai still has a 10 year powertrain warranty. I might buy a new Rio Sedan with a 6 speed if my Mitsubishi doesn't work out. eh!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's a link with some good info, although we're still believing the dealer and their "secret code". If it was me, I'd ask to see it when the scanner is hooked up.

https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/...ubishi-mirage/

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-13-2019),inuvik (12-13-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Here's a link with some good info, although we're still believing the dealer and their "secret code". If it was me, I'd ask to see it when the scanner is hooked up.

https://www.700r4transmissionhq.com/...ubishi-mirage/
    Thanks AtomicPunk. I've had 2 of the 5 most common evap leak causes fixed. Like that they list on that link there. 1. Fuel cap, replaced w new Mitsu cap, and 2. the loose EVAP system hose, tightened by Mitsubishi.

So maybe my gas tank is leaking? That's the most expensive fix of all the problems.

Has anyone else dealt with this in their Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey, just curious: are you a "stop gas pump when it clicks off" or a "try and squeeze more in" guy? Overfilling will affect the purge cannister. No judgement, just asking for diagnostic purposes.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Hey, just curious: are you a "stop gas pump when it clicks off" or a "try and squeeze more in" guy? Overfilling will affect the purge cannister. No judgement, just asking for diagnostic purposes.
    Every time I pump my own gas, I stop when it goes click. It's 99.5% full at that point, no need to keep going.

Caveat is, the "we serve" guy at my local Shell gas station is a "keep on going" pumper, so maybe he screwed it up.

So I don't know what to do now, what do I do with the purge cannister? Is it toast then?

My fuel filler neck doesn't look brand new, that is for sure, just from looking at it from the fuel cap screwed off.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My understanding is sometimes the canister can eliminate the extra fuel once it evaporates, provided it doesn't keep getting more gas in it. Other times if its happened enough, the charcoal in the canister starts to break down and particles get where they shouldn't be, causing malfunction/trouble codes ( and canister replacement). Maybe stay away from full serve for a month and see what happens. Doesn't cost anything.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-14-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I'll take your advice AtomicPunk, and just do my own fill-ups for a month and see what happens. Free trial.

Fummins I will keep this in mind, however the mechanic I had at Mitsubishi was top-notch, both the mechanics I met there were top-notch. However mistakes happen. You make a good point.
    But I will give the dealer marks for having good mechanics, but I think my car got shafted to another service person, and another priorities list with a taint against my car.

My overall gameplan now is getting my Mirage looked at by my old reuputable mechanic, who I trust, or even my local Ford dealer I go to now for oil changes.

I'm wary of any new car purchase now though; and new car warranties now too.

But getting an oil change at Ford the other day, I sat in a new Escape in the showroom. Attractive car-like SUV. Looks like a small Porsche suv.
    Last edited by dspace9; 12-14-2019 at 01:31 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I'll take your advice AtomicPunk, and just do my own fill-ups for a month and see what happens. Free trial.

Fummins I will keep this in mind, however the mechanic I had at Mitsubishi was top-notch, both the mechanics I met there were top-notch. However mistakes happen. You make a good point.
    But I will give the dealer marks for having good mechanics, but I think my car got shafted to another service person, and another priorities list with a taint against my car.

My overall gameplan now is getting my Mirage looked at by my old reuputable mechanic, who I trust, or even my local Ford dealer I go to now for oil changes.

I'm wary of any new car purchase now though; and new car warranties now too.

But getting an oil change at Ford the other day, I sat in a new Escape in the showroom. Attractive car-like SUV. Looks like a small Porsche suv.
    SUVs and crossovers are evolving into glorified station wagons. Personally, I don't care for the look of the new Escape, but it's the direction these vehicles are taking.

I don't blame you for being frustrated. A good vehicle in my mind is one that never needs to be returned to the dealership for anything, & I have had those. I am not saying that these vehicles didn't service from a local mechanic at times.

My 2011 Subaru Forester has spent over 11 weeks with the dealership in the past 1.5 year. It costs me nothing, and I was given a new loaner each time. Even though I basically have Forester with a new engine (entire short block was replaced) @ 92,000 miles now, I am done with Subaru.

I still like my 2011 Forester 2.5X manual. It does exactly what I need an affordable AWD vehicle to do. I would replace it with something else some day, but I really don't like anything else on the market better. AWD/4WD manuals have become an endangered species. The 30,000+ miles that I have put on my Mirage these past two years are 30,000 miles not put on my Forester. That is sort of how I look at it. I like small cars, too. Especially, when they are cheap, reliable, & economical to drive. In my mind, replacing a worn out Mirage is cheap. I don't feel the same about replacing AWD/4WD vehicles.

I hope you get your problem resolved soon. I sort of harp on people running gas tanks dry and overfilling them, too. It could be something else, however. I hope you figure it out soon!

Thanks for keeping us updated, too!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (12-14-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

I still like my 2011 Forester 2.5X manual. It does exactly what I need an affordable AWD vehicle to do. I would replace it with something else some day, but I really don't like anything else on the market better. AWD/4WD manuals have become an endangered species.
    Thanks for the understanding remarks there Mark. I appreciate it. My experience with my Mirage this year has been frustrating to say the least. What can you do though, it is just a car, and I am trying to keep my mind focused on that.

I am thinking about replacing my Mirage as my daily driver in a year or less. I am leaning towards a new Subaru Impreza wagon AWD with a manual transmission. Rare breed indeed! This seems like a sensible car for my uses. They are somewhat expensive though. I would go with Blue Pearl for my paint for sure, or grey.

I am also looking at the cheapest new cars Kia and Hyundai are offering. I am looking for a few more goodies on my next car than my current bare-bones, 0 option Mirage ES. Like proper arm rests, more leg room, more power, bigger outside dimensions.

My Mirage is loaded with sentimental value, so it will become my summer MG in the future.