Thread: Set a new personal best last night

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Set a new personal best last night

I was restless and bored so decided to go for a drive and see if my car could return great mileage. I've never done better than about ~19km/l in normal driving.

Where I live the roads are pretty much deserted after midnight. I didn't choose a route, it was just random, a mix of city street and highway, both 2 land and divided. I got 25.2 km when on roads with 60-70km/h limits, and 24.7 km/l on both 2 and 4 lane highways with limits of 80-100km/h. I drove no faster than 85km/h. My scanguage and factory dash readouts were identical.

I have winter tires on presently and they are ~30psi. I drove with the heater on, A/C off and the trip was about 80kms.

I must say I'm pleased and surprised that my mileage was 70mpg Imp. without Enasaves or any fuel saving driving techniques. I'm curious now as to what mileage could be achieved with Enasaves on. Aren't they good in some cases for 3-4mpg over non OEM tires?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Enasaves are quite good for fuel economy, it's true.

Next time consider airing up your tires with more than 30 psi.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When I removed the original wheels and tires to a larger wheel/tire combo I lost 4mpg off the bat. The original tires are great for fuel economy.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I thought the Enasaves are good. So perhaps next year with them on I could see 75mpg Imp. Good grief, that's better than one of my 400cc Burgmans. (My other 400cc Burgman returned 111mpg once.) With winter coming there's no point in putting them on.

I'm very curious now to see what mileage my '14 will get when I drive the same route the same way. It has Enasaves on it. It also has 239,000 kms.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think there's a learning mode in our computers. As I mentioned, it was a struggle to hit 19km/l often.

Since my two controlled moderate speed trips my car is now almost always 21km/l or better. That's in town with stop and go and the highway almost instantly gets me to 23-24km/l.

I put it down to the computer learning and applying a new algorithm based on my controlled speed trips. I read somewhere other cars are adaptive based on driving style, perhaps they all are. I dunno, but I'm pleased that the 50mpg is a given for me now.