Thread: AST Suspension lowering springs from Carid.com

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

AST Suspension lowering springs from Carid.com

Installed these today. Everything went great. The drop was supposed it be 1.2" front and rear but I'm measuring 1.75" front and rear after driving it around the block a few times. And that's fine with me. I wanted it lower.

They feel great! Big time reduction in body roll. Little stiffer but not in a bad way. The car will of course be a bit stiffer over bumps. Took about 2 months for me to get these as they have to be made and shipped from the supplier. Very happy with this purchase. $275 shipped to me. Its day 1 with them installed. If I have any issues with them I will report back.

Also installed 2017 and up front brakes. New rotors and pads. With some junkyard caliper brackets. Didnt really take a picture of that.

https://www.carid.com/ast-suspension...6&url=15583410

Name:  20191012_175646.jpg
Views: 3468
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:  20191012_141939.jpg
Views: 1389
Size:  97.3 KB

Name:  20191012_142141.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  88.6 KB

Name:  20191012_175819.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  91.0 KB

Name:  20191012_172608.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  97.2 KB
    Last edited by flotownj; 10-13-2019 at 12:28 PM.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flotownj For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-13-2019),inuvik (10-13-2019),Top_Fuel (10-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flotownj View Post
    Installed these today. Everything went great. The drop was supposed it be 1.2" front and rear but I'm measuring 1.75" front and rear after driving it around the block a few times. And that's fine with me. I wanted it lower.

They feel great! Big time reduction in body roll. Little stiffer but not in a bad way. The car will of course be a bit stiffer over bumps. Took about 2 months for me to get these as they have to be made and shipped from the supplier. Very happy with this purchase. $275 shipped to me. Its day 1 with them installed. If I have any issues with them I will report back.

Also installed 2017 and up front brakes. New rotors and pads. With some junkyard caliper brackets. Didnt really take a picture of that.
    Hey flotownj, nice work. Thanks for sharing it here.

Would you be opposed to uploading your photos to the forum? Photo bucket doesn't allow hosting for forums, and the pictures aren't displaying properly.

Also, a link to the items would be nice. I'm sure there will be others who will want to do this too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can you see the pictures now?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flotownj View Post
    Can you see the pictures now?
    Yes, thanks. You must have uploaded them?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Three things.
    1.Those look like a great product.
    2.Your car looks lean and mean with the drop. Glad it handles well.
    3.North Carolina? What I wouldn't give to have your weather during my winter.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I recently put Eibach springs on my car and I have a rattle in the back. I think it sounds like a loose(ish) shock absorber/damper, but I haven't been able to verify that. One person I've spoken to says that the shocks may be too long and the spring is loose. I don't think so because it is clearly compressed from when the tire is off the ground...but I also can't say he's wrong...

Anyone have experience with this? This is my first lowered car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    I recently put Eibach springs on my car and I have a rattle in the back. I think it sounds like a loose(ish) shock absorber/damper, but I haven't been able to verify that. One person I've spoken to says that the shocks may be too long and the spring is loose. I don't think so because it is clearly compressed from when the tire is off the ground...but I also can't say he's wrong...

Anyone have experience with this? This is my first lowered car.
    Put a couple folks in the back seat and go for a ride and see if it goes away. Its completely possible. Unlikely, but possible. More than one of us have seen how easily the rear springs can be manipulated and even removed simply by jacking the car up and letting the axle drop.

The real probability is that the rubber spring seat thing got left out or ripped or rotated and you are just getting some metal on metal contact.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Put a couple folks in the back seat and go for a ride and see if it goes away.
    I carried some weight, but not person sized weight and it didn't seem to help. It rattles even at 5mph. It also didn't seem to matter if I was accelerating around a clover-leaf on-ramp (I think the rattle is only on the driver's side, but I can't be certain).

Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    The real probability is that the rubber spring seat thing got left out or ripped or rotated and you are just getting some metal on metal contact.
    I took it out and made sure the seat thing was in correctly (I think it had twisted a little before, possibly even making a small hole in the rubber from a weeks worth of driving). It immediately had the same sound...if not worse. Might a little Plasti-dip paint help, or would that just rub off immediately? Would some silicone fish tank hose help or would that be too soft and rip through just like I imagine the Plasti-dip paint would?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magenta View Post
    I took it out and made sure the seat thing was in correctly (I think it had twisted a little before, possibly even making a small hole in the rubber from a weeks worth of driving). It immediately had the same sound...if not worse. Might a little Plasti-dip paint help, or would that just rub off immediately? Would some silicone fish tank hose help or would that be too soft and rip through just like I imagine the Plasti-dip paint would?
    What does the end of your spring coil look like?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  20191014_150453.jpg
Views: 1152
Size:  96.0 KBName:  20191014_150504.jpg
Views: 1118
Size:  94.9 KB First two are driver's side where I *think* the rattle is coming from. Last one is passenger side.Name:  20191014_150526.jpg
Views: 1190
Size:  97.3 KB
    The rubber guides on the top are thicker, sturdier, and I am more confident in them.
    Last edited by Dark Magenta; 10-14-2019 at 08:45 PM.