Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wipers

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Wipers

Now call me old fashioned if you care but I like to see out the windshield with a high degree of silence. When I bought the Mirage, like all cars, I change the wipers as a matter of course. I purchased a pair of Bosch wipers, apparently the "best" available, not so. They screech across the windshield in both upward & downward strokes.
    I've been investigating and came across these blades which I had on my Passat, VW up! and others.
    I have never suffered any noise with these wipers so I bought a 22" and 13" for my car for less than £19 (about $24)
    I'm awaiting receipt after which I'll post more.

Bosch AR22U Wiper Blades & Bosch AR13U Wiper Blade
    Google 'em and see what you think.

Last edited by itschad; 10-13-2019 at 10:48 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Now call me old fashioned if you care but I like to see out the windshield with a high degree of silence.
    Interesting concept. I'll have to look into this...

From your supplier, I found the entry for the Mirage: WiperBlades.co.uk - Mitsubishi Mirage Hatchback - 2012 Onwards

I'm not sure the Bosch Aerotwin is sold here stateside, but they do offer some other blade type models. Using Rock Auto as a reference:

Bosch Clear Advantage
    Bosch Evolution
    Bosch Snow Driver; Beam Style
    Bosch Insight

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

itschad (10-13-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Good functioning wipers are pretty important here, as it rains 2/3rds of the year.

I gave up on 'premium' wiper blades years ago after I had an expensive Bosch blade literally fall apart and come off during a rainstorm while I was on the freeway. The damage done by the blade-less wiper arm to my windshield ensured that it would be the last set of Bosch blades I would ever buy. These blades were only a couple of weeks old, and I was really pissed off that they had cost so much and performed so badly.

Wiper blades have gotten sillier, more gimmicky, more 'high tech', and much more expensive in the ensuing years, but I haven't bitten on any of them. I buy standard Michelin blades that cost about $6.00 each. When they start streaking or making noise, I clean them with an alcohol pad. When that doesn't restore their performance anymore, it's time for new $6.00 wiper blades.
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 10-13-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Interesting factoid.

A company called Trico makes nearly all the blades for the North American OEM market. At one time they were the only manufacturers in North America. I trained all their engineers and draftspeople how to use Autocad back in the 80's. Once that was complete, and the North America Free Trade Act signed shortly after, they closed shop in Burlington Ontario and moved all production to Mexico. I wouldn't be surprised if Trico still dominated the NA market and outfits like Bosch contracted with them.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Interesting factoid.

A company called Trico makes nearly all the blades for the North American OEM market. At one time they were the only manufacturers in North America. I trained all their engineers and draftspeople how to use Autocad back in the 80's. Once that was complete, and the North America Free Trade Act signed shortly after, they closed shop in Burlington Ontario and moved all production to Mexico. I wouldn't be surprised if Trico still dominated the NA market and outfits like Bosch contracted with them.
    Funny you should mention that. I was just reading up on the corporate histories for both Trico and ANCO. When General Motors decided to use Trico instead of ANCO for their OEM equipment, it pretty much ended operations for ANCO in Indiana, owned as a business unit of Federal-Mogul. They still make stuff, as mentioned.

I saw a post somewhere that Goodyear is still making wipers in North America, if that means anything to anyone.

Myself, I was interested in the beam wiper style that itschad originally posted. Anybody else using beam wipers? What are your thoughts on the design?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Good functioning wipers are pretty important here, as it rains 2/3rds of the year.

I gave up on 'premium' wiper blades years ago after I had an expensive Bosch blade literally fall apart and come off during a rainstorm while I was on the freeway. The damage done by the blade-less wiper arm to my windshield ensured that it would be the last set of Bosch blades I would ever buy. These blades were only a couple of weeks old, and I was really pissed off that they had cost so much and performed so badly.

Wiper blades have gotten sillier, more gimmicky, more 'high tech', and much more expensive in the ensuing years, but I haven't bitten on any of them. I buy standard Michelin blades that cost about $6.00 each. When they start streaking or making noise, I clean them with an alcohol pad. When that doesn't restore their performance anymore, it's time for new $6.00 wiper blades.
    I've had good luck with cheap Michelin wiper blades from Walmart, too. Silicone wiper blades should last the longest, but they tend to be 3 to 4 times more expensive. I've never tried them, but PIAA silicone wiper blades are considered to be some of the best one available.

The article below lists some of the benefits of using silicone wiper blades -
    https://www.thedrive.com/reviews/282...e-wiper-blades

Scotty Kilmer is an advocate of silicone wiper blades, too. He actually has PIAA blades in his hand as he is talking about silicone wiper blades. He gives a fairly detailed history (going back to 1903) of wiper blades. The Best Wiper Blades in the World and Why -
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpdgahDp2Wg

Personally, I've been happy with the cheap Michelin wiper blades from Walmart. They are made by Pylon.

"Located in Deerfield Beach, Florida, Pylon is an ISO 9001-certified division of the Qualitor, Inc. family of automotive companies. Pylon is the exclusive licensee responsible for the manufacture and marketing of the MICHELIN® line of premium wiper blades and other automotive innovations." Oct 30, 2017

Just sharing information for anyone that is interested in this topic. Personally, I have zero experience with expensive or fancy wiper blades.
    Last edited by Mark; 10-13-2019 at 07:46 PM.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

From your supplier, I found the entry for the Mirage: WiperBlades.co.uk - Mitsubishi Mirage Hatchback - 2012 Onwards

I'm not sure the Bosch Aerotwin is sold here stateside, but they do offer some other blade type models. Using Rock Auto as a reference:

Bosch Clear Advantage
    Bosch Evolution
    Bosch Snow Driver; Beam Style
    Bosch Insight
    In over 42 years of driving I've been very particular when it comes to wiper blades. Firstly I used Champion which were pretty good on my Mk2 Cortina, then Bosch were everywhere and just couldn't buy anything but Bosch, I've tried Valeo & Denso, not impressed.
    About 10 years ago I bought a VW Bora that had the AeroTwin blades and have been hooked (excuse the pun) on them since.
    Had them on several cars since and they just cannot be faulted.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Now call me old fashioned if you care but I like to see out the windshield with a high degree of silence. When I bought the Mirage, like all cars, I change the wipers as a matter of course. I purchased a pair of Bosch wipers, apparently the "best" available, not so. They screech across the windshield in both upward & downward strokes.
    I've been investigating and came across these blades which I had on my Passat, VW up! and others.
    I have never suffered any noise with these wipers so I bought a 22" and 13" for my car for less than £19 (about $24)
    I'm awaiting receipt after which I'll post more.

Bosch AR22U Wiper Blades & Bosch AR13U Wiper Blade
    Google 'em and see what you think.
    Weirdly, my Bosch wipers have lasted 5 years. The original right front one went first, (a tear on the rubber for me is worn out) and I have only replaced the OEM original crap one once, and with a Bosch, and 100,000 km's later - the bosch is still on the car. Streaky but work.

My left driver's wiper same deal, replaced after less than a year from my new car purchase.

My back wiper has been replaced 3 times anyways, now I just don't use it, or just use the back wiper sparingly, knowing full well what Mitsu charges for a replacement.

On the topic of wipers, my passenger's side wiper washer nozzle stopped working. The other month the left one didn't work. I dunno

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post

If i need wiper blades a go here as they are based up the road from me and are a good price
    WiperBlades.co.uk own brand blades are good
    Last edited by Eggman; 11-13-2019 at 07:29 PM. Reason: Fixed BB Code quotation.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Now I'm curious what modern airliners are using. You'd think they would be very durable and effective.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)