Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modify low fuel warning threshold

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Lol mine is the same way. Panic flashing and I go to fill it up and only 6 gallons go in. I wish I had an old fashion gas gauge.
    Any car I've own in the last 20-25 years with old fashioned gas gauge, had a low fuel warning dash light come on. I really don't see how that is much different?

Last edited by Mark; 10-14-2019 at 04:03 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Way, WAY back, my road legal dune buggy lacked a gas gauge. I ran out regularly. But riding motorcycles you use your trip odometer to stay out of trouble. That habit carries over driving a car.

There's something definitely odd with my '17. Last summer I did run out very shortly after the whole bar started flashing. I didn't drive much more than 20kms after it all started to flash.
    My last cycle (Kawasaki Versys) had a gas gauge that was very similar to the Mirage. It was pretty accurate, too. Odometers were definitely used on older bikes, & the reserve tank on a cycle was a good indicator of where things were at.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Maybe instead of recalibrating the low fuel indication, there is something wrong with the fuel sending unit that needs service?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Maybe instead of recalibrating the low fuel indication, there is something wrong with the fuel sending unit that needs service?
    Exactly what I was thinking. I had to replace mine, but for the opposite reason. The gauge would read one or two bars...as the engine was running dry and sputtering to a halt.

My was defective because it read too high. Wallythacker's may be defective because it reads too low.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Gauge is different because they seem to be a better reflection of what is in the tank. Plus I like the low warning dash light compared to the blinking bar.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Exactly what I was thinking. I had to replace mine, but for the opposite reason. The gauge would read one or two bars...as the engine was running dry and sputtering to a halt.

My was defective because it read too high. Wallythacker's may be defective because it reads too low.
    Since there some evidence the senders can be off, either high or low, I'll add it to the list of items for the dealer to check the next time my car is in.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Gauge is different because they seem to be a better reflection of what is in the tank. Plus I like the low warning dash light compared to the blinking bar.
    I find this to be quite the opposite. When a solid bar disappears, I know that I have used about 1 gallon gas. When the final 8th bar disappears, I am down to about 1 gallon of gas. I never knew things that accurately looking at a more conventional gas gauge.

If my gauge wasn't accurate, I would be less impressed I guess. Not sure why anyone would have dealer check this, unless you knew you had a problem? Just pay attention to it. If I am down to two bars, I may be adding about 6 gallons of gas. It's just a ballpark figure.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When my fuel gauge starts blinking, I'm estimating that I have roughly 1.25 to 1.5 gallons (4.7 liters to 5.6 liters) of gasoline left. Since I've owned mine, I've never had to fuel to gallons, ever. Which is a good thing I guess. I haven't really tested it to see how much it can go until the tank is empty but I'm sure the Mirage can touch 400 miles on a single tank if all the planets align correctly and if ALL the conditions were working for me, haha! But really, the first few months of owning it, I was sort of surprised that it only too 7 gallons to fill it up...then I remembered "duh, its a warning" and its actually a 9 gallon tank, not a 7 gallon tank. lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.4 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 2of9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 2of9 View Post
    When my fuel gauge starts blinking, I'm estimating that I have roughly 1.25 to 1.5 gallons (4.7 liters to 5.6 liters) of gasoline left. Since I've owned mine, I've never had to fuel to gallons, ever. Which is a good thing I guess. I haven't really tested it to see how much it can go until the tank is empty but I'm sure the Mirage can touch 400 miles on a single tank if all the planets align correctly and if ALL the conditions were working for me, haha! But really, the first few months of owning it, I was sort of surprised that it only too 7 gallons to fill it up...then I remembered "duh, its a warning" and its actually a 9 gallon tank, not a 7 gallon tank. lol
    That's why I sort of like the 8 bars represent 8 gallons approximately. It is a small gas tank. Low on a Mirage may mean a gallon of gas left. For a larger vehicle, low may be a few gallons left.

The joy is one gallon of gas in a Mirage may take you just as far!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

2of9 (10-16-2019)