Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modify low fuel warning threshold

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Modify low fuel warning threshold

Is there a setting that can be changed to modify the low fuel warning threshold?

Currently I have the whole bar flashing when I'm down to about 10 liters left, which I gather is about 5 liters too early.

It's annoying.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Is there a setting that can be changed to modify the low fuel warning threshold?

Currently I have the whole bar flashing when I'm down to about 10 liters left, which I gather is about 5 liters too early.

It's annoying.
    First off I want to say, Americans should have gone metric 50 years ago. That's another topic, however!

Personally, I really like the gas gauge on the Mirage. The Mirage holds approximately 9.2 gallons of gas. Each solid bar seems to represent approximately one gallon of gas. When the final 8th bar disappears, you have about 1.2 gallons of gas left in the tank. In my opinion, it would be good to know approximately when that last bar disappeared. The flashing of the last solid bar helps make that happen. I don't find it overly annoying while I am driving, because I am driving. My eyes are elsewhere!

I live 12-13 miles from a gas station. If I head home on a low tank of gas, it will take approximately 25-mile round trip to return back to a gas station again. I also have to climb a somewhat steep ridge road to get home. Once the final bar starts to flash, a person surely doesn't have to panic. Maybe for those of you that live in the city & near lots of gas stations that may seem like to much gas left in the tank, but I find it very helpful. When that last bar disappears, I know that I am on my last gallon of gas. For someone like me, it's definitely time to fill up again.

Most of time, I never let the gas level get that low. I buy all my milk, eggs, butter, & bread at the gas station in town. I'm usually stopping for something else besides gas anyways.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-14-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I can't believe, Boeing as an example, uses Imperial when designing and manufacturing aircraft. I know they need their product to comply with maintenance and repair worldwide hence the metric design and documentation. It would also be insane to have documentation, tooling and/or parts that are done using Imperial measure for domestic use.

I'd guess any and all other manufacturers based in the US with worldwide product sales would be any different. Even the big US automakers are probably all metric these days as they sell worldwide. Again, I don't see GM dealing with two systems for exported vs. domestic models.

SO my question is, other than consumer purchases, gas,oil,meat, and so on, construction, and speed limits, what in America is so tightly tied to Imperial that it can't be changed?

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post

Personally, I really like the gas gauge on the Mirage. The Mirage holds approximately 9.2 gallons of gas. Each solid bar seems to represent approximately one gallon of gas. When the final 8th bar disappears, you have about 1.2 gallons of gas left in the tank. .
    I get what you're saying Wally in regards to the US should go to metric. Honestly for home renos, imperial is almost more useful, like the 5/8" inch is easier to picture than cm's, and I live in Canada. Metric loving engineers can't read a tape measure my friend says haha.

I wanted to point out again Mark's 9 gallon Mirage gas tank and 9 squares on the gas gauge. Metric or imperial that is so simple and brilliant.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I wanted to point out again Mark's 9 gallon Mirage gas tank and 9 squares on the gas gauge. Metric or imperial that is so simple and brilliant.
    Except my blooming gauge starts panic flashing when I still have ~2.75US gallons left.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-14-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just to clarify, there are 8 solid bars, not 9. When that 8th solid bar (last one) disappears, I estimate about 1.2 gallons of gas are left. I don't normally drive with my gas tank that low, but last week I had driven some with the last bar flashing. I figured I was about half-way through that last bar mileage-wise. When I filled up, my Mirage took 7.5 gallons of gas. Thus, approximately 1.7 gallons were still left. If I had driven until the final bar disappeared, it would have been closer to 1.2 gallons left.

I don't think this is an exact measurement, but it sure does seem pretty close to this to me. If you want to test this out more, please take a gallon of gas with you. I don't want anyone mad at me!!!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-14-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Haha I had my gas levels low a few times lately because some other expenses have come up, but I never used to push it.

Once the 8th bar starts flashing, it's time for gas or it'll run out in 50 kms.

My old VW didn't even have a working gas gauge, so you can work around it by timing the km's travelled. but it's an imperfect science

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Except my blooming gauge starts panic flashing when I still have ~2.75US gallons left.
    When 7th solid bar disappears, I don't think the final 8th bar starts flashing right away on my Mirage. I can't say I know exactly at what point it does start flashing on my Mirage, but I would guess around 2 gallons (about 7.5 liters) of gas left. If I continue to drive until that final bar disappears, I am getting near 1.2 gallons of gas left. Which for a Mirage will get you a few more miles for sure.

If given the choice, I would rather be warned a little to early than to late. I would expect gas gauges to be a little on the conservative side. I sort of like the Mirage gas gauge over any of the other vehicles I have owned over the years. I've owned pretty basic vehicles, however.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Haha I had my gas levels low a few times lately because some other expenses have come up, but I never used to push it.

Once the 8th bar starts flashing, it's time for gas or it'll run out in 50 kms.

My old VW didn't even have a working gas gauge, so you can work around it by timing the km's travelled. but it's an imperfect science
    Way, WAY back, my road legal dune buggy lacked a gas gauge. I ran out regularly. But riding motorcycles you use your trip odometer to stay out of trouble. That habit carries over driving a car.

There's something definitely odd with my '17. Last summer I did run out very shortly after the whole bar started flashing. I didn't drive much more than 20kms after it all started to flash.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Lol mine is the same way. Panic flashing and I go to fill it up and only 6 gallons go in. I wish I had an old fashion gas gauge.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)