Thread: Briefly wouldn't start - Acted like the battery was weak.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Briefly wouldn't start - Acted like the battery was weak.

I've got a 2014 Mirage with 105K miles. With no warning it acted like the battery was weak and wouldn't start. I popped open the hood, checked the cables and tried it again and it started right up. I recently had the battery replaced but I'm wondering if I should replace the battery cables. After searching on amazon and rockauto I don't even see any cables for sale.

So I have 3 questions.

1. What could have caused the failure to start?

2. Would it be a good idea to replace the cables? Is it difficult? Obviously the ground is easy but the positive sure looks a lot more complicated than I remember. Is there a way to replace only the part that goes to the battery without getting into that mess of wires?

3. If so where do I get them (cables)?

Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    ...With no warning it acted like the battery was weak and wouldn't start...
    What do you mean?

The engine wouldn't turn over at all?
    The starter just made a clicking sound when you turned the key and nothing else happened?
    The starter would turn slowly but the engine wouldn't fire?

It's waay too early to start throwing parts at this. One of the first things I would do is go get your battery LOAD tested to make sure it's OK. Just because a battery is new doesn't mean it's good.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-15-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Ha! There's nothing to add to that advice. What will the rest of us carry on about?

BTW good to see you around Madison320. It's always good to hear from the forum's early members.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    The first thing I tell people to do in this situation is try their headlights, as the headlights will draw an amount of power similar to the power draw of the starter. This will allow you to get an instant visual approximation of the condition of the battery. If the headlights are as bright as they normally should be, then the starting problem is likely, well...a problem with the starter.

If the headlights are dim and it seems like the starter might not be getting the amps it needs to turn the car over, then it is time to do further diagnostics on the wiring, grounds, alternator, etc. At 105k miles, wiring damage, alternator output, and the condition of the starter are all viable explanations.

Is it possible that you just left the dome light on for a few hours or something? Has it done this before?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-15-2019)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    the headlights will draw an amount of power similar to the power draw of the starter.
    Unless 'starter' means something different than I think, this is not true. The headlights draw about 10A together, the starter can draw 100A.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (10-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    Unless 'starter' means something different than I think, this is not true. The headlights draw about 10A together, the starter can draw 100A.
    You are correct!

Check battery cables, test battery, have starter tested. If it just started getting cold where you are and now it's cranking slower the battery is probably weak. You can run all year with a weak battery then when cold hits in the fall that's when you'll notice it's down on power.
    Or starter could be on it's way out and fast. I've replaced a few that had worn brushes but they get started more often than most peoples cars.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The first thing I tell people to do in this situation is try their headlights, as the headlights will draw an amount of power similar to the power draw of the starter. This will allow you to get an instant visual approximation of the condition of the battery. If the headlights are as bright as they normally should be, then the starting problem is likely, well...a problem with the starter.

If the headlights are dim and it seems like the starter might not be getting the amps it needs to turn the car over, then it is time to do further diagnostics on the wiring, grounds, alternator, etc. At 105k miles, wiring damage, alternator output, and the condition of the starter are all viable explanations.

Is it possible that you just left the dome light on for a few hours or something? Has it done this before?
    No it hasn't done this before. I was thinking the same thing so I went and checked but the light was off. Maybe something else was on?

It was turning over normally, not the clicking sound, but it was slow and weak.

I didn't think about the starter. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it for now.

Thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.7 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.6 mpg (Imp)