Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random stalling won't restart right away

Random stalling won't restart right away

I had a driver call complaining about a 15' Mirage that stalled and wouldn't restart. I couldn't get a straight answer whether it was cranking/turning over so suggested they just hold the throttle to the floor and try starting it. They got it going and all was good for most of the day. Then it stalled pulling up to an intersection and wouldn't restart immediately. Eventually they got it running and pulled onto a side road.

I didn't want it to crap out at another inspection so went to grab it with a trailer. Of course it runs good when I get there. The only trouble codes stored was one for the lf air bag sensor which would have been triggered the first time they had a problem and another u0100 in the power steering module which was triggered the second time it died.

I checked the go to kick panel connector and it looked good and was relocated up high already. Tested the battery, 140cca not sure how it even started. Replaced it and the spark plugs as well as they were a little over due and showing wear at 232k kms.
    Put the driver back in the car this morning and so far so good. Will post back if/when car acts up again. I won't be surprised if the starter dies soon, running it with a dead battery will cook them quicker than normal.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-16-2019),Top_Fuel (10-16-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What happens to the starter when you have a bad battery? I know they typically won't engage the flywheel. Anything else that happens?

I'm terrible at teachings so I found this

"Typically what happens is the excess current created as a result of the low voltage causes the contact within the solenoid to weld together or even burn through. Welded contacts can cause the starter to stay engaged with the engines ring-gear and should the engine actually start the high revolutions will cause the starter to blow apart inside."

And this https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...damage-starter
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (10-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey, I learned something new! Thanks!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Fummins, whats the count on how many Mirages in your fleet? Top 5 with the highest km?

39 on the road right now. I thought there was more than that? Have a few parts cars left, and one rollover and one waiting to go to the body shop.
    According to the tracking program
    1: 423602km/263214miles(repaced cvt)
    2: 319699km/198651miles (replaced cvt)
    3: 308654km/191788miles original cvt
    4: 232751km/144624miles original cvt
    5: 231942km/144122miles original cvt
    Mirage videos:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-17-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    That's quite a fleet! Is there a driver for each car or are the cars shared out?

I'm not going to ask the company name, but can you give us a hint what the cars are for? Delivery I think, right?

Deliver what? Car parts? Hookers? Drugs?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Each driver is assigned a vehicle. I assume it's so everything isn't trashed and blamed on the infamous it wasn't me guy. Vehicles are used for parts delivery. I might have to count again, there's got to be over 40 Mirage's by now. Counting is hard though.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Don't I know it. Past 2 things get fuzzy for me.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-17-2019)

Well, this one is back. I had to go tow it. Car was stalling again. Of course when I get there it seems fine and drove right onto the trailer. I parked it outside and let it idle for 10 mins came back and it died. Restarted then stalled within seconds then wouldn't restart. While attempting to start it felt/sounded like the starter was having the power to the solenoid cut off briefly making the starter grind for half a second. I can hear a light thump at the rear of the car at the same time this happens, like the evap vent is opening or closing. Just for sharts I swapped a bunch of relays around under the hood and it ran for longer then died and wouldn't restart until I remove and re install the relays.
    This will be a fun one.

Mirage videos: