Thread: Off topic: my 2001 Daewoo Nubira with 15,560 original miles

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Off topic: my 2001 Daewoo Nubira with 15,560 original miles

Well, Daewoo forums don't exist in the USA anymore LOL. There are some Czech and Russian forums but the language barrier is a major problem. I propably have the last running/ driving Daewoo Nubira in the country. I bought it last year from the son of the original owner (his mom passed away). She bought it new in 2001 and only put 12,000 miles on it before I got it.

Strange car....built in Korea using an Australian GM Holden 2.0 liter 16-valve twin-cam engine that puts out 135 HP, and a GM 4TE four-speed Hydromatic transmission with lock-up torque converter. I just replaced the lower control arm bushings with high performance polyurethane units special ordered from Australia.

Also getting the engine compartment ready for a power wash and de-greasing.

The car sat in a garage for 17 years, on four new flat tires. Resurrecting a 19 year old car from the grave is a pain in the a$$, but it's not impossible.

I'll post more pics once she's back together. It's funny how many people walk up to me and ask me what the hell a Nubira is 😃

Cheers, 3banger
    Name:  20191016_170511_HDR.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  99.2 KB
    Name:  20191016_170609_HDR.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  90.1 KB
    Name:  20191016_170539.jpg
Views: 456
Size:  96.9 KB
    Last edited by 3banger; 10-17-2019 at 05:51 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Can one of the mods please rotate my pics for me. I uploaded from my phone and I have no idea how to fix it.

3banger

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3banger View Post
    ...It's funny how many people walk up to me and ask me what the hell a Nubira is...
    That's what I was thinking when I opened this thread...

Here's your pics...

Name:  nubira1.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  85.7 KB

Name:  nubira2.jpg
Views: 318
Size:  85.1 KB

Name:  nubira3.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  59.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    ANCIENT white car, not a speck of rust that I can see. Wow. Makes me hate our winters and salt covered roads.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I live in Las Vegas Nevada where it is very, very dry. No rust out here. Our paint out here does not last. The sun kills it.
    You need to cover your car or park in a garage. Tires and batteries don't last either. Very hot in summer and very cold in winter.

3banger

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Holy hell, a Nubira?! I haven't seen one besides in junkyards in a long long time. That's crazy! Can you find parts for it?
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Around 2000-2001, my buddy was looking for a new car. We were at the local auto mall near closing time. It was after dark, and in the dead of winter. We rolled onto the Daewoo lot as a couple of the sales guys were starting a new one up to move it or something.

The engine sounded like a paint can that had been filled with ball bearings and put on a paint mixer. The two sales guys had a hard time hearing each other over the racket!

We sneaked quietly off the lot before they spotted us. Daewoo was gone a year or two later.

That said, I absolutely love old cars that are completely stock and absolutely spotless. I'd have bought that one, too! Please post up some more pics!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A lot of people think Daewoo died in 2002 when they stopped selling in the USA, but in fact GM owns 58% of Daewoo, even to this day.
    Daewoo was rebadged for Suzuki and Chevrolet.
    The Suzuki Reno, Forenza, and Verona are all made by Daewoo.
    Also the Cheverolet Spark and Chevrolet Cruze are also made by Daewoo.

So you can still buy a Daewoo....it's just been rebadged into a Chevy or other GM product. If you go look at a new GM car look at the final assembly point. If you see "Korea" on the ID plate.....it's a Daewoo.

3banger

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I knew the Spark was a Daewoo, but not the Cruze. (I happen to like the one I rented, it was comfortable and not bad on gas)
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't know what's wring with the mobile version of this site. I tried to edit my previous post but it automatically deleted it instead.

You can still buy a Daewoo. They were first rebadged for Suzuki (Reno, Verona, Forenza), then they were rebadged for Chevy (Spark and Cruze). There are other Daewoo's hiding under other badges......just look at where it was assembled. If you see Korea as the final assembly point, and it's a GM product, it is most likely a Daewoo.

3banger