Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hit a massive NJ pothole

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Whats your thoughts on the matter Fummy? Can steelies hold up to more abuse than alloys and still maintain tire integrity or is it the other way around?
    ....Fummy?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I know this was asked of Fummy, but I feel steel & alloy wheels have very different characteristics.

As a bowhunter, it reminds of aluminum arrows vs. carbon arrows.

Put under extreme pressure (guys have used huge hydraulic presses to prove this) -
    Steel wheels bend.
    Alloy wheels shatter.
    You can find stuff like this on youtube.com. Knowing that may indicate that I need more of a life?

Is a bent rim better than a one that shatters? Both may be useless, but the steel rim may get you home better I guess?

Arrrows are very similar -
    An aluminum arrow will bend. After one shot, it's really not as straight as new any more. Accuracy suffers!
    A carbon arrow that isn't broken is straight. I've shot the same carbon arrow through two deer this fall. Since it isn't broken, I know it is still straight. A carbon arrow may shatter if damaged, however. Nasty injures have happened to people shooting damaged carbon arrows. Imagine an arrow shattering as your compound bow releases all that energy just above your left hand!

I don't know if steel wheels vs alloy wheels needs to be a competition or not? It takes quite a blow to damage them. Has anyone lost a factory alloy wheel to pothole damage?
    ....................FUMMY????

lol

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 955 Posts
    Things are getting weird. again. Booze and or drugs maybe? It is Friday!

Like marky pointed out, aluminum doesn’t bend it cracks and breaks. Steel bends and pretty easily. All our work cars have steel and they do bend but can usually be bent back.
    Quote Originally Posted by fred101 View Post
    Pardon me Mr. Fummins

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.2 mpg (US) ... 14.1 km/L ... 7.1 L/100 km ... 39.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    . Steel bends and pretty easily. All our work cars have steel and they do bend but can usually be bent back.
    Thats a good point! I have straightened out bent steel wheels numerous times.
    You need one medium size hammer for hitting, and a second one for putting its wedged section on the lip of the rim. Then you hit hammer one onto hammer two. Carefully tap it beginning from the edges. If it is not too busted, you could probably get it back in shape. Afterwards, I check that it runs properly without buckles.