Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hit a massive NJ pothole

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Hit a massive NJ pothole

Last edited by Mirageman38; 06-22-2020 at 09:44 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Check out this thread...

Bent my steel wheel and lost a hubcap

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,683 Times in 2,102 Posts
    I paid $50 each with free shipping for brand new steel rims, but that was 2 years ago.

I only use dealers for recalls or warranty work.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Bill the town for the max you can claim. the worst that will happen is they will deny liability.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Bill the town, find a replacement at a junkyard. It will probably even come with an Enasave. Take it to a tire shop and have the TPMS sensor either swapped or reprogrammed. Keep the old tire as a spare, junk the bent wheel.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    What do you guys think?
    Sorry about your lousy luck.

Some observations.

1. You are lucky the Enasave didn't fail. It may develop a sidewall blister, as other forum members have reported.
    2. Now might be a good time to change out all your rims, maybe for some flashy alloys. Just a thought.
    3. Consider uploading your pictures to the forum, as image hosting websites often quit working for us.
    4. Don't forget to have your alignment checked.
    5. If the trooper told you to send the bill to the state, why send it to the local municipality?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    So the other day I was changing lanes in fairly heavy traffic and my tire got jammed into a massive pothole. My hubcap went rolling down the street at 50MPH hit the curb, and in the side mirror I witnessed it fly through the air and land on the median. Meanwhile my wheel got bent

I pulled over and found the hubcap luckily it was all in one piece and barely damaged. A cop pulled over behind me to ask why I was taking pics and told me to send the bill to the state!(It wasn't a state road)

I took pictures to send the bill to the town but I doubt they will refund me. The dealer quoted me $150 for a new wheel What do you guys think?

Man thats nothing for a steel wheel. I took the G4 in for the exact same issue to discount tire. They looked at it and said thats barely bent and that the advantage of steelies over alloys is that they can take much more of a beating. Discount Tires didnt charge me a dime. Your fine. You take your car into a reputable tire store and not a rip off place and Ill bet my left nut they'll tell you the same thing.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    And the G4 wheel was bent in 2 places and deeper than that too. All the above advice is solid as usual, but those steelies are tough.

I'd try to bend it back with a bfh not a girls claw hammer. If the tire is holding air great. The wife hit one so hard in her optima a few winters ago the tire went flat instantly. I managed to hammer it back straight and surprisingly remained balanced.

I wouldn't spend extra money changing to aluminum wheels thinking that's going to prevent this from happening. Aluminum doesn't bend it cracks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just curious: what was the tire psi when you hit that crevasse?