Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Small Car Stereotype: You're poor, have bad credit, or in a bad place

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I saw at the dealer today a 2 tone painted blue/black Mirage. Sharp!
    Where are the pictures of this two-tone Mirage??

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-19-2019)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    a used Mirage is the only car they could get financing which such terrible credit.
    <snip>
    they're hoping to pay it down then "trade it in" on a fullsize truck for some reason...
    That attitude is the reason they got that terrible credit in the first place, I guess?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-19-2019),Fummins (10-21-2019),poorman1 (10-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    The Ace of Base:2019 Mitsubishi Mirage story on TheTruthAboutCars.com inspired me to write this piece: Cheap, small cars so often have this stigma behind them.
    The article on TTAC was complimentary of the Mirage, kind of a nice change of pace. I enjoyed your article and thought it was well thought-out and written.

I dunno - I just don't really feel any burning desire to defend my decision to purchase a Mirage. It's just a car, and it's the right car for me. No need to go braying on some other website against critics.
    Last edited by Eggman; 10-19-2019 at 10:32 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Where are the pictures of this two-tone Mirage??
    I will take pictures of the two-tone Mirage when I'm back at the dealer next week.

It's a "Limited Edition" so you get a black spoiler and roof, and then inside there is red stitching on the steering wheel, the gear shift etc. Plus sweet 15'' rims that are black as well.

I have spent many hours at the dealer the past few weeks. My Mirage has a small leak around the gas cap (or gas filler), and the dealer accidentally forgot to order a new gas cap. So back to the dealer again next week.
    Last edited by dspace9; 10-19-2019 at 10:47 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (10-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I have long believed that most 'car guys' simply can't wrap their minds around the idea that there are people in this world who just don't care very much about cars.

I know lots of these people. All they want a car to do is not cost too much, get decent mileage, and not break down.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-21-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I have spent many hours at the dealer the past few weeks. My Mirage has a small leak around the gas cap (or gas filler), and the dealer accidentally forgot to order a new gas cap. So back to the dealer again next week.
    I'm thinking your problem lies somewhere other than the gas cap. Looking forward to seeing what fixes it.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm thinking your problem lies somewhere other than the gas cap. Looking forward to seeing what fixes it.
    I think there is a chance it's the fuel filler itself. I don't get why the dealer doesn't just replace the whole shebang. They replace 1 thing at a time, in order of cheapness.

3 visits to the dealer for 1 fuel cap? Aren't those universal? we're talking about like 3-4 + hours of driving, and waiting, each Friday. I told the dealer that Mitsubishi Mirage ownership is like a part-time job!
    Last edited by dspace9; 10-19-2019 at 11:07 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    That's hilarious. My brother-in-law asked my wife once what kind of car I drive. When she told him he said "that's a pretty small car". She shrugged and said "he's got nothing to prove".

Just this afternoon I was treating the G4 to a tank of ethanol-free gas when the next pump over a brand new Maserati pulled up. I admired it for a minute, then fired up the 3 cylinder and drove off smiling. Life is a suicide mission, my friends. Nobody makes it out alive, and its waaay to short to be concerned about what others think about what car you drive.
    lololol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I have long believed that most 'car guys' simply can't wrap their minds around the idea that there are people in this world who just don't care very much about cars.

I know lots of these people. All they want a car to do is not cost too much, get decent mileage, and not break down.
    I'm a 'car guy', and have been my whole life. Test driving has been a hobby since I was 15, I've worked at car dealerships, and I valeted cars for two years. I've driven it all, and last year I realized something. I'm actually not a car guy, rather, I just love to drive. And when I got my G4, the two test drives where enough to convince me. At this point, I too wanted something that didn't cost much, good MPG, and reliable. Now with a couple months and 6000 miles past, I've had as much fun driving this as I used to with my Abarth. And I now get that the 'not caring about cars'. It's honestly exhausting sometimes..."Oh I want this new Miata! Oh look, the new Wrangler! Oh hey, look this car...." and so on. At the end of the day, it's about getting from point A to point B.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Go4th For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-20-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have 'bad credit'. I pretty much live paycheck to paycheck. I've struggled with money and credit my entire life. Living in Seattle for almost 10 years didn't help financially either. In part of FINALLY getting my crap together, one way of doing that was buying a sensible car. I wanted to get other, maybe more fun cars that either weren't reliable, economical, or practical. But since that is what I had done with my FIAT, and narrowly missed $$$$$ repair bills, I wasn't going to do that again. I had narrowed down to a used or CPO Yaris IA, Accent or Rio (sedans). The G4 came into my radar as a fluke. I sort of knew Mitsubishi has a reputation as a 'bad credit car' but I didn't care. But these days, it seems there are almost limitless options for people with credit challenges and low/no downpayment, which doesn't necessarily lock a person into a Mitsubishi like it may have in the past. When I first got my G4, I had a little underlying feeling of self consciousness about having my car and it being a 'bad credit/poor person's' car. Then I realized two things. 1-This is a legitimately amazing car, regardless of anything to do with a person's credit or financial standing. 2-I no longer car about what people think about me and/or my car. In fact, I now feel pretty damn great about making such a sensible purchase, one that can help me to a more positive financial place.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Go4th For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-20-2019),Dirk Diggler (10-21-2019),Subcompact Culture (10-21-2019)