Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: The Small Car Stereotype: You're poor, have bad credit, or in a bad place

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    They have been talking about the santa Cruz pickup for years now. Seems like a pipe dream considering they have released a bunch of new vehicles during that time.

Edit: just googled it and I guess it's a go for real finally. Made in Alabama for 2021. Wonder if it will retain the concepts extendable bed?
    My comments was based on Hyundai expanding their plant to build a pickup, but it doesn't look like something I would be interested in.

Small pickup market is still open here in my opinion.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (11-22-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    what I wouldn't give to find a rust free Toyota 4x4 extended cab from the 80's in a barn somewhere.

Or even an 80's Ranger diesel with options
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

I have only seen one diesel ranger, in the same small town where a different guy owned the diesel tempo. I just looked on kijij, looks like you're sol for both the tempo and ranger diesels.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    what I wouldn't give to find a rust free Toyota 4x4 extended cab from the 80's in a barn somewhere.

Or even an 80's Ranger diesel with options
    That's a unicorn. I've had two 82's, both were very clean but had some rust. Nothing crazy bad though.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I have only seen one diesel ranger, in the same small town where a different guy owned the diesel tempo. I just looked on kijij, looks like you're sol for both the tempo and ranger diesels.
    what's with both the unicorns in the same town? huh. there was a v6 Tempo available last time I looked.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Just drop out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    This forum represents the creme de la creme of Mirage owners, a small percentage of who actually owns these cars IMO. I would venture the majority of Mirage owners have credit issues, live paycheck to paycheck, working class, newly divorced, etc. etc.
    Years ago I figured how to live comfortable, with out the dept that most of the people I know are buried in.
    But it's a lifestyle that takes years to learn.
    The idea behind owning cars like the Mirage, I think, is to live cheaper, thus enjoying life more. If all you get out of it is more money to dump on other debts, you are missing the point.

In simple terms, the trick is to spend less money than you make. But most people chase the dream of making more money than they spend.

I learned a long time ago that the less I spent, the less I had to work, and I am a very lazy person
    So I've spent most of my life "semi-retired", working a couple days or weeks, then taking weeks or months off.
    And cars like the Mirage are a big part of that now, as I am at that age when crawling under a car to weld up the exhaust, is not fun anymore, and rather painful

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krash For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (11-22-2019),MacClyver (11-22-2019),MetroMPG (11-22-2019),poorman1 (11-22-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krash View Post
    Years ago I figured how to live comfortable, with out the dept that most of the people I know are buried in.
    But it's a lifestyle that takes years to learn.
    The idea behind owning cars like the Mirage, I think, is to live cheaper, thus enjoying life more. If all you get out of it is more money to dump on other debts, you are missing the point.

In simple terms, the trick is to spend less money than you make. But most people chase the dream of making more money than they spend.

I learned a long time ago that the less I spent, the less I had to work, and I am a very lazy person
    So I've spent most of my life "semi-retired", working a couple days or weeks, then taking weeks or months off.
    And cars like the Mirage are a big part of that now, as I am at that age when crawling under a car to weld up the exhaust, is not fun anymore, and rather painful
    I pretty much agree with most of what you wrote, but I worked constantly in jobs where the number of hours were limited. College was 18 hours/week in class, piloting was 90hrs/month. My buddies were putting in 70-80/hr. weeks, their spouses divorced them, their kids don't know who they are. And they were only marginally better off than me because of the insane amount of debt they had.

The major difference is if I crawl under a car to MIG weld something it's because I want to. I certainly don't have to.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Ford Canada blew out extended cab totally loaded 4x4 Rangers for $11,699 in 2011. They had options you've never even heard of. When I landed and got to the dealer, surprise!!, all 50 had been sold that fall day.
    You're right about that. My 2011 XL came with factory A/C. The dealer said he had never seen it before in a Canadian XL model.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pryme View Post
    They have been talking about the santa Cruz pickup for years now. Seems like a pipe dream considering they have released a bunch of new vehicles during that time.

Edit: just googled it and I guess it's a go for real finally. Made in Alabama for 2021. Wonder if it will retain the concepts extendable bed?
    Thanks, I had not heard of that before. The bed is pitifully small though, but still definitely worth a look.
    2014 White SE with CVT

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by krash View Post

I learned a long time ago that the less I spent, the less I had to work

Yea we live in a society boggled down by debt, houses are expensive, everything is expensive. No surprise with everyone debt-ridden..that the teachers in the USA and here in Canada too.. like that they aren't teaching financial common sense 101 much to kids. I'm sure some do, but still. Pretty much paycheque for paycheque for most people, especially when you're younger. I figure the world needs more financial common sense.

Kinda fighting the man with the FIRE movement et al

Also I should have bought a 2011 Ranger

Last edited by dspace9; 11-22-2019 at 08:06 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

MacClyver (11-22-2019)