Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Electric Car Rant

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 7milesout View Post
    My understanding was that in a manual transmission, when in gear and coasting speed down, the computer is injecting 0 fuel when above idle speed (no accelerator). But according to the data I saw, this doesn't seem to be true.
    Check out this related thread: DFCO explained measured and how to utilize it

Some OBDII devices don't seem to report this correctly...giving the impression that DFCO is not happening.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

7milesout (04-19-2021),MetroMPG (04-19-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,009 Posts
    Good read, thanks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Check out this related thread: DFCO explained measured and how to utilize it

Some OBDII devices don't seem to report this correctly...giving the impression that DFCO is not happening.
    I've been on this forum consistently over the past 4 years. I haven't seen anyone share anything that would make me have CVT envy, especially when it comes to mpg.

I can see why some prefer having an automatic/CVT, however. Especially if your Mirage is used by multiple drivers.

The CVT makes for a much more relaxed (lower RPM) and quieter (lower RPM) driving experience if driven gently to moderately.

Unless of course you have transmission anxiety. Then maybe not so relaxing.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Mirageman, have you driven any? Genuinely curious.
    Yes, I test drove a Nissan Leaf. I was impressed with the acceleration and it handled well. The high MSRP for the base model and low range turned me off. At the price it takes to get better range you could get a base model Tesla....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The CVT makes for a much more relaxed (lower RPM) and quieter (lower RPM) driving experience if driven gently to moderately.

I am trying to make a case for manuals not fading away into oblivion forever, & you are not helping!

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MirageRally View Post
    When electric cars can go 500-600 miles on a single charge l'll buy one.
    How about the Aptera? A 1000 miles on a single charge, and 40 miles a day for free, on a sunny day.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Space Wolf For This Useful Post:

MirageRally (04-20-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Wolf View Post
    How about the Aptera? A 1000 miles on a single charge, and 40 miles a day for free, on a sunny day.
    Oh boy an electric Elio I can't wait

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,009 Posts
    I was all jazzed up about an Elio. But wasn't willing to put a deposit down.

As for 500 - 600 miles on a single charge. Sounds nice, but is probably balanced out with a nice 10 hour charging time!

I have an electric golf cart. I converted it to 48V. I went 8 batteries, 6 Volts each; versus 6 batteries at 8 Volts each. Why? Because mo' battree volume, mo range. But also, mo' battrees, mo' chargin' time. And yes, it (electric power) was NOT convenient on a golf cart either. So I'd be concerned about that kind of issue with a car too. Mo' range, mo' charging time. I know will likely eventually be overcome, we shall see.

But. My 3 sons all used the electric cart we have. They wore the crap out of it, and I was repairing it weekly. But it's an ole crusty '96 model. That's what we call it now, 'Ole Crusty.' And it is for sale. When I finally got tired of repairing it (myself) I decided to get a new golf cart ... guess what! I bought a gas golf cart!

With the electric one, even with it's extended range, it's max range was about 16 miles, taking it real easy. And barely making it home (with the low battery lights flashing). And the sucker was DONE for the next 12 hours or so.

But the gas one we have now ... fill it up with (I think it's about 6.5 gallons of gas) and the son of a gun will run all the way up to Chattanooga and halfway back. I think it has over 200 mile range.

My sons ALWAYS had to be mindful to ALWAYS keep the electric cart on the charger when at home. ALWAYS. Or it wasn't going to be used. Even if it were one bar down, you had to charge it to be able to use it for a couple hours. But now, even if it is low on gas, flashing, it will make it to the gas station, and 5 minutes later you can drive the sucker FOR DAYS.

The range anxiety out on the golf cart is now GONE. The infrastructure is just not there yet. Yes, there are caveats with the golf cart. The technology is low, and it must charge on a 115V outlet. But I daresay the driving similarities as it relates to range anxiety are probably very similar with that of an electric vehicle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 7milesout For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (04-21-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Hybrids is the way to go. The Outlander PHEV looks very cool. I bet its the most reliable vehicle in Mitsu's lineup.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-20-2021)