Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Car Rant

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    You aren't taking everything into consideration. If you have $40k laying around and buy a 10k car you can put 30k in the stock market or any other investment. Average return is 10% APY and now seems to be a nice low point to stick it in. 10% on 30k is 3k a year you would gain and it compounds. Not only does it cover the gas the mirage uses but you would be making money. Never mind the thousands a year lower on insurance not getting full coverage and the car being cheaper.

Oil Changes on this are every 7500 miles and this car uses very little oil. Between costco and Walmart it's only around $12 for an oil change. This works out to $320 or so over 200k miles.

Anything beyond 20 minutes of charging is much longer than a gas station period. Even if you have to fill up twice. In my town there are only two electric chargers within 5 miles of dense city. One is literally at the Nissan dealer.
    Everything is going electric. So I have been thinking a lot about how my next car from my current 2014 Mirage will be electric. I won't buy an eHummer, or a Rivian, I don't need a truck like that, or a Tesla electric ever because I hear they have bad quality.

I wonder just like what Dirk was saying - how is the reliability on the Nissan Leaf? The Prius is the more practical option at this point. My small town has had an electric charging station in the hockey arena parking lot for about 3 years now. I think you just drive up and plug in your ePorsche or Tesla etc.

Also how have the electric cars of the past 5 years fared in Canadian winters? I don't want a rusted out Tesla.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    With the new US infrastructure bill, charging stations are going to multiply. I expect a comprehensive app will be developed to map all the charging stations that one will need in their gps for long distance trips and estimated charging length of time added to trip time length. I tried mapping a roadtrip on google maps with ev charging stations along the way and it wasn't easy at all. Often open times for charging stations weren't even posted, which sucks because half of them were at dealerships so no 24hr charging available much of the time. If you do a lot of roadtrips like me, this is a big turn off on EVs for me. I wish the Leaf was a hybrid really.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    With the new US infrastructure bill, charging stations are going to multiply. I expect a comprehensive app will be developed to map all the charging stations that one will need in their gps for long distance trips and estimated charging length of time added to trip time length. I tried mapping a roadtrip on google maps with ev charging stations along the way and it wasn't easy at all. Often open times for charging stations weren't even posted, which sucks because half of them were at dealerships so no 24hr charging available much of the time. If you do a lot of roadtrips like me, this is a big turn off on EVs for me. I wish the Leaf was a hybrid really.
    Imagine waiting in line to charge your car during a long trip some day. No thanks!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

daleWV (04-18-2021),Mirageman38 (04-19-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Imagine waiting in line to charge your car during a long trip some day. No thanks!
    I imagine charging stations are going to be massive though instead of the paltry 4 units per station area I see in my town. I think making cheaper hybrids available would be ideal too though. I'm also concerned EVs will price out working class people from being able to afford a new model too with a warranty.

The Mirage EV of China! (Cheap, small battery pack.)

EVs will price out working class people from being able to afford a new model too with a warranty
    The priciest component in an EV is the battery. Ongoing R&D and economies of scale are still driving down the price per kWh:

Name:  li-ion-battery-price-2-640x480.png
Views: 852
Size:  64.2 KB

(From article: The story of cheaper batteries, from smartphones to Teslas)

The other thing that affects battery pricing is pack size. Small car, small pack, small range = small price.

The world's best-selling EV starts at $4,162 USD and has a ~170 km = 110 mile range and ~100 km/h = 62 MPH top speed:

Name:  Wuling-Hong-Guang-Mini-EV-800x431.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  66.7 KB

It's the "Chinese Mirage of EV's!" And it comes with AC, power windows, ABS, TPS, parking sensors, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuling_Hongguang_Mini_EV

No doubt a "cheap", small EV can be built that meets US safety regs with similar range and a higher top speed.

The big question is how much profit margin is there in a cheap, penalty box EV for the poors? And would people buy a 100 mile car just to get that new car warranty?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-17-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The priciest component in an EV is the battery. Ongoing R&D and economies of scale are still driving down the price per kWh:

Name:  li-ion-battery-price-2-640x480.png
Views: 852
Size:  64.2 KB

(From article: The story of cheaper batteries, from smartphones to Teslas)

The other thing that affects battery pricing is pack size. Small car, small pack, small range = small price.

The world's best-selling EV starts at $4,162 USD and has a ~170 km = 110 mile range and ~100 km/h = 62 MPH top speed:

Name:  Wuling-Hong-Guang-Mini-EV-800x431.jpg
Views: 644
Size:  66.7 KB

It's the "Chinese Mirage of EV's!" And it comes with AC, power windows, ABS, TPS, parking sensors, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuling_Hongguang_Mini_EV

No doubt a "cheap", small EV can be built that meets US safety regs with similar range and a higher top speed.

The big question is how much profit margin is there in a cheap, penalty box EV for the poors? And would people buy a 100 mile car just to get that new car warranty?
    Good info. But the "poors" as you elegantly put it, probably wouldn't even be able to afford a car to begin with. I was thinking of regular working class families with combined incomes in the $70 to 80k USD range. I hope manufacturers keep this demographic in mind as they constitute a significant % of the American population.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Those tires look smaller than my Mirage's, same 4 bolt pattern.

Kind of a cliche, but cars (and houses) are getting way too expensive. The cheapest manual new car I can buy is probably the Chevy Spark, but honestly you can also get a $17,000 manual tranny 2021 Hyundai Elantra, and that's almost a mid-size car and you would still get 40 miles a gallon I bet.

But the styling of the new Elantra is arguably chintzy, and I wonder if it'll date super quick. But over $17 grand or thereabouts for a basic new car. That's like $300 bucks a month in car payments. Not exactly affordable transportation for the average Joe or Jane.

And most people opt for a way more expensive vehicle. I did some searching on certified used toyota hybrids, and they're all expensive. The Prius C is about 11" longer than the Mirage hatch. But Toyota wants over $14 grand for a 5 year old car. 6 month warranty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Why do you guys want electric cars? For the environment?
    Nah, they're pretty fun to drive around. 100% torque from almost stopped is an amazing feeling. Of course, you have to learn to exercise some restraint (assuming the computer doesn't exercise it for you). lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nobu For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-18-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Those tires look smaller than my Mirage's, same 4 bolt pattern.

Kind of a cliche, but cars (and houses) are getting way too expensive. The cheapest manual new car I can buy is probably the Chevy Spark, but honestly you can also get a $17,000 manual tranny 2021 Hyundai Elantra, and that's almost a mid-size car and you would still get 40 miles a gallon I bet.

But the styling of the new Elantra is arguably chintzy, and I wonder if it'll date super quick. But over $17 grand or thereabouts for a basic new car. That's like $300 bucks a month in car payments. Not exactly affordable transportation for the average Joe or Jane.

And most people opt for a way more expensive vehicle. I did some searching on certified used toyota hybrids, and they're all expensive. The Prius C is about 11" longer than the Mirage hatch. But Toyota wants over $14 grand for a 5 year old car. 6 month warranty.
    Vehicles have become more expensive. At the same time, more older vehicles are still on the road.

In the States, the average vehicle age is 11.9 years old, & 25% of the vehicles on the road are 16+ years old. Taken from -

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/28/25pe...cord-high.html

By that standard, your 7-year old Mirage hasn't even reached average age yet.

The Toyota Prius c is a nice economy car. Reliability on them has been excellent (one of the best). A low mileage Prius c holds its value pretty well.

I have no doubt the Prius c is nicer than a Mirage in most every aspect, except price. The ability to buy a brand new 2017 Mirage for $9,000-9,500 (without added rebates) and as low as $7,500 with all rebates added was hard to overlook for me. I could easily buy two Mirages for the price of one Prius c at the time. I can't say I shopped hard for a Prius c at the time, because I have zero interest in non-manual small cars.

I think the same holds true today. It would be pretty easy to buy two used Mirages for the price of one Prius c.

Just searching my area. Here are two examples -

2015 Prius c Two with under 22,000 miles is $14,300.
    2015 Mirage DE CVT with under 6,000 miles is $5,900.

You can't really say a Mirage depreciates much more than a Prius c, unless you paid full MSRP for it.

I can still find used 2017 Mirage ES manuals priced higher than what I paid for a brand new almost 4 years later.
    Last edited by Mark; 04-17-2021 at 05:37 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post

Toyota sort of did in their Prius c themselves. For a little more money (MSRP), you can get Corolla Hybrid that's larger & much more fuel efficient.

Prius c (99 hp) = 48 city/ 43 highway mpg

Corolla Hybrid (121 hp) = 53 city/52 highway mpg