Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mobil 1, other synths on sale at Walmart

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Mobil 1, other synths on sale at Walmart

My Walmart has Mobil 1, advanced economy blend, 0w-20w for ~$28/4.73l jug. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum[ for ~$27/5l jug, Castrol Edge for ~$26/5l jug.

I haven't changed my oil manually myself for awhile but for Canada, these prices don't seem too bad. I'm sure you can find other deals for a couple of bucks less but if you need it now or want to put some away for future changes.

Last edited by Wallythacker; 10-19-2019 at 05:32 PM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

craigq (10-19-2019),Daox (10-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...arts/254038905
    $14 and works well for me. It's the same stuff as the Amazon basics oil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I do my own oil changes, & I have been using Mobil 1 0W-20. Once I use up my last jug of Mobil 1, I am switching to something else. These are the 7 reasons why below -

Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20
    Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20
    Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage Formula Motor Oil 0W-20
    Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20
    Mobil 1 Annual Protection Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20
    Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 0W-20
    Mobil 1™ ESP X2 0W-20

I have become a little put off by the marketing of Mobil 1 products. I am going to switch to a brand that offers one or two 0W-20 options & then stick with it. I see myself going with SuperTech 0W-20 in the near future, too!

Personally, I don't know of a bad 0W-20 oil. Pretty much all 0W-20 oils are going to be a synthetic product. I think it's more important to do frequent oil changes and use a quality oil filter.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Super-Tec...arts/254038905
    $14 and works well for me. It's the same stuff as the Amazon basics oil.
    Interesting. What makes you conclude that they are the same?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,786 Times in 2,105 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I do my own oil changes, & I have been using Mobil 1 0W-20. Once I use up my last jug of Mobil 1, I am switching to something else. These are the 7 reasons why below -

Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20
    Mobil 1 Extended Performance Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20
    Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage Formula Motor Oil 0W-20
    Mobil 1 High Mileage Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20
    Mobil 1 Annual Protection Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20
    Mobil 1 Truck & SUV 0W-20
    Mobil 1™ ESP X2 0W-20

I have become a little put off by the marketing of Mobil 1 products. I am going to switch to a brand that offers one or two 0W-20 options & then stick with it. I see myself going with SuperTech 0W-20 in the near future, too!

Personally, I don't know of a bad 0W-20 oil. Pretty much all 0W-20 oils are going to be a synthetic product. I think it's more important to do frequent oil changes and use a quality oil filter.
    Mark, the seven different versions you list are all for different purposes. Choose the one that suits your needs. I'm impressed that Mobil offers so many different versions of their products.

In the end it doesn't really matter that much so long as the oil is changed on a regular basis according to the manufacturer's instructions, as you have said.
    That and make sure the lubricant meets the recommended criteria i.e. ILSAC.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Mark, the seven different versions you list are all for different purposes. Choose the one that suits your needs. I'm impressed that Mobil offers so many different versions of their products.

In the end it doesn't really matter that much so long as the oil is changed on a regular basis according to the manufacturer's instructions, as you have said.
    That and make sure the lubricant meets the recommended criteria i.e. ILSAC.
    I don't mean to totally knock Mobil 1, but they have made buying oil seem like buying Frito-Lay potato chips. I was only listing their 0W-20 products, too. There's more choices out there! I'm sure Mobil 1 is a very good product. It may be the best! Which one is best for my Mirage? Asked them & you get a huge list of choices.

This has been a bit of a process for me. For years, I used conventional oils. I basically used 5W-30 or 10W-30 SuperTech oil for most everything (my list of things goes beyond cars). Synthetic oil sort of entered my world when I purchased my used 2011 Forester in 2013. I didn't find SuperTech 0W-20 on the shelf. My local Walmart still doesn't carry it today. I checked! Other nearby Walmart stores do. I alway change my own oil, & at first Mobil 1 0W-20 was the most obvious choice on the shelf @ Walmart & other stores. Thus for the past 5-6 years I have been using Mobil 1 in my Forester & Mirage. 0W-20 has gone from being somewhat rare to being the one the most popular oils on the market. Thus, more products exist, or they can be found on store shelves at least now.

Steve's "cheap plastic car" (Mirage with 270,000+ miles) has done extremely well on 5W-30 conventional oil changed every 5,000 miles. Likewise, my local mechanic recommends 5,000 mile synthetic oil changes for our driver's education cars. Most mechanics I respect also feel the changing your oil frequently and using a quality oil filter is the most important thing you can do for your car. I sense this is a genuine belief, & not just someone trying to sell you on service.

I've been doing 3,000 mile oil changes with conventional oils for decades. Mobil 1 claiming some of their oils can go 20,000 miles doesn't overly impress me, but I'll be the first to admit that I am not totally sold on all the hype of synthetic oil either. The Mirage only holds 3 quarts of oil, & I don't find changing it every 5,000 miles to be a big deal.

I realize some countries go with longer oil change intervals, and Mirages in Canada have a shorter one. A person has to do what they feel is best for their car. I've always liked SuperTech oil and it's affordable like a Mirage!

Overall, I feel changing your oil more frequently & using a good oil filter is the most important part of a car's maintenance. What type of 0W-20 oil a person uses has become a little irrelevant to me. I see some value in sticking with one product that falls within the recommendations of your vehicle.

By the way - I'm super glad Frito-Lay makes a variety of potato chips. I just don't feel the same way about 0W-20 oil.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Interesting. What makes you conclude that they are the same?
    They are both made by Warren. Some bottles literally say warren others you can tell by the bottle shape. As has been reported on other forums pretty much all generic store oil brands are made by Warren including Autozone. There has been extensive testing on youtube videos and Warren performs just as well as Mobile 1 or any of the other wizz-bang oils. It meets the exact same SAE standards. I myself am not going to pay double for the exact same oil because it says a brand name. Combine this with a decent quality Fram filter guaranteed to go at least 7,500 and removes 99% of dirt vs the 95% and I think you are good.

I plan to do Fram Tough guard or ultra synthetic and will do it every 7500 miles as per manufacturer recommendation or twice per year. There is no reason to do it more than this unless you do some seriously straining conditions PERIOD. If you look up oil tests many synths will make it past 15k or 20k and some are guaranteed to 25k like amsoil. I bet even this Warren oil would do 15k no problem I just want to keep my warranty. After the warranty I might switch to once per year and 15,000 miles (If so I will share the results but don't expect this for a few years LOL). I see no reason to run conventional. I don't want to have to change my oil as much and the difference in price is $1 so the synthetic is guaranteed to be better for your engine and need to be changed 50% less for only $1 more (supertech $13 vs 14). That said as long as you change the conventional enough you will be fine with that too. The important thing is getting a filter that will last as long as the oil.

Many people way overchange the oil and get attached to certain brands. You end up throwing a LOT of money away over 200k+ miles. If you are doing synthetic mobile one every 3k you are literally throwing away thousands of dollars.
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 10-20-2019 at 01:25 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The Mobil offerings may be extreme to say the least....but....I wanted to try the annual protection 20,000 mile stuff on my '14. Walmart didn't have any. I picked up several of the advanced economy and at the till it rang up @$22.97/jug. That's only $3 more than other brand mentioned so I don't feel like I'm throwing money away. I'll change my '17 2x/year, using a mid-grade filter and not lose any sleep over things.

I'm undecided how I plan to service my high mile car.

Oil obviously must have miraculous properties, maybe not all oil, but I'm thinking of the oil that lubricates the roller bearings of the 70,000rpm compressor blades on a Rolls Trent or CFM56. That's serious stress and oil performance. If any of that science makes it into our car engine oil, some must, then we really do have the best of all worlds.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Many people way overchange the oil and get attached to certain brands. You end up throwing a LOT of money away over 200k+ miles. If you are doing synthetic mobile one every 3k you are literally throwing away thousands of dollars.
    Personally, I have never heard of anyone changing synthetic oil every 3,000 mile or even advocating for that? If a person wants to do 3,000 mile oil changes, they may as well use conventional oil.

Using 0W-20 oil dictates using a synthetic oil of some type. There are two maintenance schedules for the Mirage that indicate 3,750 mile or 7,500 mile oil/filter change intervals. A person should do what they feel is best for their car.

I wouldn't make a blanket statement about more frequent oil changes is throwing a lot of money away. If a person's engine lasts much longer with fewer issues, it may be money well spent.

I see 5,000 mile oil changes as a happy medium for synthetic oil. It's only 3 quarts of oil, & SuperTech 0W-20 isn't that much more expensive than most conventional oils anyways.

If a person is really sold on Mobil 1, they run some good rebates in the States at different times of year.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Here's a good read from Edmunds: http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop...-your-oil.html

and a decent read from Time: http://business.time.com/2011/06/14/...ry-3000-miles/

From my driving history twice yearly oil changes works out to about every 7,500 miles or 12,500kms. I'll be happy with that schedule knowing my oil and filter are likely as good as anything out there. I think any more frequent is overkill and anything less might be allowing undesired wear.