Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Process for getting a used CVT from a junk yard and having it installed??

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    If a person with no mechanical knowledge feels the need to ask how difficult it is to replace a transmission, then they probably shouldn't try it. It is not a good way to 'get your feet wet' when it comes to automotive repair. I can't say it is difficult, but it is time-consuming and rather tedious without a nice dry garage and an array of tools at your disposal.

Most self-serve yards will not have late model cars. But if you can find one that does, it is VERY instructive to be able to remove the transmission from a wrecked car you don't care about before pulling the transmission out of your own UNwrecked car that you do care about. Best to practice tearing apart someone else's car!

Most full-serve yards that have late model cars either have their own on-staff parts pullers (of varying skill levels) who will pull the transmission after you call, or will have the transmission already pulled out and sitting on the shelf.

Self-serve yards are usually cheaper, full-serve yards are easier and often offer a warranty. All you really need to do is call around, or you can go to car-part.com and use their database to find a CVT near you. Then, just give them a call. I'd peruse Angie's List or the like to find a reputable indy mechanic to do the swap.

I'd expect to spend $500-ish for the trans, and another $500-ish for the swap.
    Thank you Cobra! I love actual advice instead of condension. Ive always appreciated your candor, I mean that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Listen, Im trying to learn here. Ive done the basics like call transmission shops too see if theyre willing or able to put in a CVT I got from a salvage yard and all I got was no after no aftet no. "We only put in brand new transmission." or "We dont do CVT." Or "Your best bet is to go to the dealership, we dont have the tools to do CVTs." Its frustrating. Im simply trying to find links to shops that are willing to do the job. If this is boring you, then feel free to not post on a thread I f@cking started Eggman. Or unfriend me so you dont have to deal with a layman such as myself in your emails. I dont have the option to sell it and buy something else. Im not 60 years old, retired, living on a pension. Im working 3 jobs, living check to check, I am that avg American that is one $1000 emergency from being on the street so how about cutting me some goddamn slack.
    Sounds like you have done a lot research already. If you are just replacing a bad CVT with a used one, I have to believe some local mechanics would do that for you.

Plan B may be buying Fummins a round trip plane ticket to Atlanta, & stock piling your refrigerator with beer!

Speaking for myself - If I were in your position, I would focus on paying off my Mirage asap first. Once it is paid off, I would start putting aside funds for things like a CVT replacement. If those funds aren't needed for that purpose, I would put them toward a future vehicle purchase.

I believe my small town mechanics would replace a bad CVT with a used one. I wouldn't expect them to rebuild a transmission (automatic or CVT), however. If the used transmission they install has issues, that would be on me not them.

Have you contacted these guys?

http://www.allprotransmissionga.com/...ssion-rebuild/

Given how many miles you drive per year, what year would it be if your Mirage's CVT went out @

100,000 miles?
    150,000 miles?
    or
    200,000 miles?

If I was that anxious about something, I would remove it from my life. If that was taken the wrong way, I apologize. I was only speaking for myself. I own a lot of old stuff. I expect it to break down sometimes.

What will give you peace? If buying/storing a used CVT is the answer, I hope you find one soon!

P.S. - Many of us have more than one job. I teach middle school science, coach basketball (girls & boys seasons), & do btw driving lessons on Saturdays (& during the summer months). Plus, I cut/burn some firewood, love to hunt, & do lots of other stuff.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-21-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Sounds like you have done a lot research already. If you are just replacing a bad CVT with a used one, I have to believe some local mechanics would do that for you.

Plan B may be buying Fummins a round trip plane ticket to Atlanta, & stock piling your refrigerator with beer!

Speaking for myself - If I were in your position, I would focus on paying off my Mirage asap first. Once it is paid off, I would start putting aside funds for things like a CVT replacement. If those funds aren't needed for that purpose, I would put them toward a future vehicle purchase.

I believe my small town mechanics would replace a bad CVT with a used one. I wouldn't expect them to rebuild a transmission (automatic or CVT), however. If the used transmission they install has issues, that would be on me not them.

Have you contacted these guys?

http://www.allprotransmissionga.com/...ssion-rebuild/

Given how many miles you drive per year, what year would it be if your Mirage's CVT went out @

100,000 miles?
    150,000 miles?
    or
    200,000 miles?

If I was that anxious about something, I would remove it from my life. If that was taken the wrong way, I apologize. I was only speaking for myself. I own a lot of old stuff. I expect it to break down sometimes.

What will give you peace? If buying/storing a used CVT is the answer, I hope you find one soon!

P.S. - Many of us have more than one job. I teach middle school science, coach basketball (girls & boys seasons), & do btw driving lessons on Saturdays (& during the summer months). Plus, I cut/burn some firewood, love to hunt, & do lots of other stuff.
    Thank you for the helpful info Mark! My post came across harsher than I attended. I drive Uber so I testing the limits of the CVT7, everyday. I cant afford a new $5k dollar one. Im just looking for step by step directions and all Im getting is doors slammed in my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Whats the process step by step for finding a used CVT, getting the junkyard to pull it out, and finding a shop to put it in? How does that work if you have no mechanic skills at all?
    There's a few ways.
    But to clear up one post, there are 2 kinds of junk yards. Full service(they pull parts) and pick and pull type/pick your part etc...(where you walk around and pull your own). There's even some that have 2 sections, pick your junk and full service. Depending on the yard you can sometimes dicker the price down. Large chain places like lkq who typically have fixed prices are far less likely to budge on prices though.

You can search on car-part.com for a cvt(transmission) or just google wrecking yards and call around like people used to do. Around here many full service wrecking/junk yards have a mechanic and shop capable of doing most installs.

So you might be able to find a decent wrecker who does installs, have them to source you a cvt(if they don't have one) and install it for you. They might be willing to take a gamble on a late 14+ cvt and see if it will work for you? If not they should be able to find one with the proper production date(if they care to even bother looking into what fits).

The other options are find a relatively competent shop and see if they'll source one and install it for you. Installing a cvt is no different than a regular automatic transmission.

When I was at a wrecker most parts were sold to dealerships and shops, or other wreckers as most were linked together and could see each others inventory
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-21-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know you are worried about the longevity of your CVT but instead of planning for its ultimate demise, what I would suggest is that you focus on extending its life as long as possible. Learn how to do a fluid change and start making it a routine maintenance item. The fluid doesn't seem too expensive... you could do it every 20k if you wanted and surely add some peace to your life. I do agree with Eggman that you worry way too much about it.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-CVT-fluid-oil
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-21-2019),Fummins (10-21-2019)

I like to be prepared for the worst case scenario sometimes too. But you can't predict everything.
    I'd be more worried about being in an accident or running out of weed lol.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (10-21-2019),MetroMPG (10-23-2019)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I like to be prepared for the worst case scenario sometimes too. But you can't predict everything.
    I'd be more worried about being in an accident or running out of weed lol.
    lol Thank you man thanl you! And like you said, Im just trying to be prepared because Im putting on 100 to 150 miles a day, 4 days a week on my 2014. To quote the late great critically acclaimed poet laureate, Nate "Two Hoes" Dogg - "Smoke weed every day."

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    I know you are worried about the longevity of your CVT but instead of planning for its ultimate demise, what I would suggest is that you focus on extending its life as long as possible. Learn how to do a fluid change and start making it a routine maintenance item. The fluid doesn't seem too expensive... you could do it every 20k if you wanted and surely add some peace to your life. I do agree with Eggman that you worry way too much about it.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-CVT-fluid-oil
    Thank you, but its not so much worrying but trying to learn from the experts on here and being prepared. Ive posted alot concerning the CVT for good reason. Go on Nissan Forums and the CVT dominates the threads. But Ive also posted about brakes, center armrest consoles, comedic memes, links about Mirage changes, dealership experiences, the differences or lack thereof between the early hatch and a later model G4, etc etc. 20k mile fluid changes sounds like a good idea. I just checked the fluid, OEM fluid is like a pale greenish color right?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks

4/5 transmission shops refuse to install a used CVT

Fummins, so Ive been just curious shopping around from different transmission shops in regards to putting in a used CVT7 into my car. Out of the 5 Ive called, 4 said flat out they wont do it because they cant warranty the used part, 1 said they'll try it but havent had any success doing the procedure for the most part and Ill just be wasting my money? When you've spoke in the past about the ease of putting in a used CVT7 into a Mirage, did you mean it was easy for you but not necessarily easy to find someone else that can do it? Dude Im racking up the miles fast Ubering and I need advice. Most shops say they wont put one in unless its a brand new CVT7 and that putting in a used one hardly ever works? Im so confused and pissed off! Help break it down for me the proper way to find a shop that can help me please.

I have not had a problem installing a cvt from any of our wrecked Mirage's. The install is the same as any regular automatic. There isn't anything magical to it. Don't go to a transmission shop, I'd just find an independent shop that can install a transmission and see if they can source you a used transmission or how much to install if you supplied one. Labour should be under 8 hrs. I wouldn't bother telling them it's a cvt, it'll probably just scare some away. Maybe you can find a wrecker that installs parts? Sounds like a different world down there lol
    Don't worry about it til you notice a problem, keep an eye on your fluid,keep it clean and just drive it.

Mirage videos:

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-06-2019),poorman1 (12-14-2019)