Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Process for getting a used CVT from a junk yard and having it installed??

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I have not had a problem installing a cvt from any of our wrecked Mirage's. The install is the same as any regular automatic. There isn't anything magical to it. Don't go to a transmission shop, I'd just find an independent shop that can install a transmission and see if they can source you a used transmission or how much to install if you supplied one. Labour should be under 8 hrs. I wouldn't bother telling them it's a cvt, it'll probably just scare some away. Maybe you can find a wrecker that installs parts? Sounds like a different world down there lol
    Don't worry about it til you notice a problem, keep an eye on your fluid,keep it clean and just drive it.
    After 20 calls finally found a place with confidence in performing a swap out and even said they'd do the homework of finding me a used one under 40k miles made before the dreaded 04/01/14 production switch for a total of $1300 labor plus the used part. Since you too have a pre 04/01/14 CVT7 have you given any thought to why in the world Mitsu would do such a thing. The trans tech I talked to was astounded they would even switch designs mid year. I thank you immensely for your guidance!

No I haven't looked very close. They may interchange? I think the cvt coolers have a different part number too? It'd suck to find out the hard way that they don't though interchagne. I would try it on my own or experiment on someones car for next to nothing just to find out.
    I've installed transmissions in gm's that had different part numbers and gm said they were different but they interchanged with other years just fine. If I get a chance I'll check out the plugs and try to see the wiring colors to see if they both match up on mine to the 15's. I wonder who at mitsubishi would know what changed? I'm sure nobody at any dealership would have the faintest idea.

If mine blows I'll likely order up a used 15' and give it a go. I wouldn't pay someone to try it thought.
    And $1300 labour? Seems a little steep but better than renting a shop with a hoist, buying tools and learning how to do it yourself taking up to a week.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    No I haven't looked very close. They may interchange? I think the cvt coolers have a different part number too? It'd suck to find out the hard way that they don't though interchagne. I would try it on my own or experiment on someones car for next to nothing just to find out.
    I've installed transmissions in gm's that had different part numbers and gm said they were different but they interchanged with other years just fine. If I get a chance I'll check out the plugs and try to see the wiring colors to see if they both match up on mine to the 15's. I wonder who at mitsubishi would know what changed? I'm sure nobody at any dealership would have the faintest idea.

If mine blows I'll likely order up a used 15' and give it a go. I wouldn't pay someone to try it thought.
    And $1300 labour? Seems a little steep but better than renting a shop with a hoist, buying tools and learning how to do it yourself taking up to a week.
    Man Id drop it from the hoist onto my face lol. My speciality is with humans not machines. I apprecite ya bro. Do whatever you can, when you can. Godspeed!

Well, then you wouldn't have to worry so much about the cvt anymore?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (12-06-2019)