Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
If a person with no mechanical knowledge feels the need to ask how difficult it is to replace a transmission, then they probably shouldn't try it. It is not a good way to 'get your feet wet' when it comes to automotive repair. I can't say it is difficult, but it is time-consuming and rather tedious without a nice dry garage and an array of tools at your disposal.

Most self-serve yards will not have late model cars. But if you can find one that does, it is VERY instructive to be able to remove the transmission from a wrecked car you don't care about before pulling the transmission out of your own UNwrecked car that you do care about. Best to practice tearing apart someone else's car!

Most full-serve yards that have late model cars either have their own on-staff parts pullers (of varying skill levels) who will pull the transmission after you call, or will have the transmission already pulled out and sitting on the shelf.

Self-serve yards are usually cheaper, full-serve yards are easier and often offer a warranty. All you really need to do is call around, or you can go to car-part.com and use their database to find a CVT near you. Then, just give them a call. I'd peruse Angie's List or the like to find a reputable indy mechanic to do the swap.

I'd expect to spend $500-ish for the trans, and another $500-ish for the swap.
Thank you Cobra! I love actual advice instead of condension. Ive always appreciated your candor, I mean that.