Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency oil question

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Emergency oil question

So, when I had the dealer check my alignment last Monday, I went ahead and had them change the oil. Drove it all week, checked the oil today. Idiot dealer tech has at least 1 quart, maybe more too much oil in the engine. Draining it out tomorrow morning, but what damage has occurred, of any?? I noticed no performance issues the past six days, but I'm madder than hell. Incompetents. Would appreciate some factual answers vs. the requisite " this is why I change my own oil"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    No noticeable change in operation? Sounds pretty good to me. Hopefully there's no cause for worry.

Thank goodness it wasn't your CVT.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    So, when I had the dealer check my alignment last Monday, I went ahead and had them change the oil. Drove it all week, checked the oil today. Idiot dealer tech has at least 1 quart, maybe more too much oil in the engine. Draining it out tomorrow morning, but what damage has occurred, of any?? I noticed no performance issues the past six days, but I'm madder than hell. Incompetents. Would appreciate some factual answers vs. the requisite " this is why I change my own oil"
    If you want factual insight, I would google this topic. I could copy & paste stuff, but this is a good short article on the topic -

http://www.t3atlanta.com/blog/car-ti...fill-auto-oil/

I hate it when people tell others to change their own oil, too! It's not for everyone. My dad will split a tractor in half to replace a clutch. Yet, he doesn't change the oil in his car.

A point can be learned from all this, however. Checking your engine oil level frequently is important, & that includes just after service has been done. Had you done that with your car it would have rolled right back into their shop, & the issue would have been corrected immediately. I trust my local mechanic. I wouldn't trust someone I don't know well. I don't care what their job title is.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    No noticeable change in operation? Sounds pretty good to me. Hopefully there's no cause for worry.

Thank goodness it wasn't your CVT.

That's Dirk. I have the 5 speed.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    That's Dirk. I have the 5 speed.
    Dirk owns a CVT????? Who would have known that?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Pryme (10-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You don't need to do everything yourself but I would watch anyone working on my car to make sure they do things right! Years of experience with my Jeep dealer has taught me they will take every shortcut possible and forget to screw everything back in. I even found a wrench and a rag left under the hood from the dealer.

As for the damage if you haven't noticed anything you are probably okay if it isn't too full. I think they build in a little extra.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    This is a Mitsubishi dealer?

You are probably OK. This likely happens more often than any of us know. The guys doing oil changes are often the least experienced techs in a shop. If you've been tossing 5 quarts in Outlanders all day, you may forget a Mirage only holds 3.5 quarts.

If you can...take a pic of the level on your dipstick before you drain any out so we can see how high the level is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Unfortunately this isn’t the first report of dealers overfilling. This is the primary reason I provide the 3 quarts and filter to the shop and tell them I’ll top it off myself. That way I know the the bonobo’s won’t overfill it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    This is a Mitsubishi dealer?

You are probably OK. This likely happens more often than any of us know. The guys doing oil changes are often the least experienced techs in a shop. If you've been tossing 5 quarts in Outlanders all day, you may forget a Mirage only holds 3.5 quarts.

If you can...take a pic of the level on your dipstick before you drain any out so we can see how high the level is.

Here it is. Just measured it at an INCH over the full dot. Car engine is cold and parked on slight incline driveway, but don't think that would affect it this much. Good grief. And yeah, it was changed at Walker Toyota/Mitsubishi, who will be getting a call from me Monday.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-20-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    See, what we don't know is the connection between the top dot, a full crankcase and the dipstick pipe. What I mean is, if the top dot is indeed the top of the crankcase and anything above that is oil in the dipstick pipe then there is zero to worry about.

However, if that inch or so above the top dot is in crankcase space that could be filled, that might be another liter or more of oil, which could be a problem if it starts to foam. IDK if synthetic is easy to foam or not.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)