Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency oil question

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    See, what we don't know is the connection between the top dot, a full crankcase and the dipstick pipe. What I mean is, if the top dot is indeed the top of the crankcase and anything above that is oil in the dipstick pipe then there is zero to worry about.

However, if that inch or so above the top dot is in crankcase space that could be filled, that might be another liter or more of oil, which could be a problem if it starts to foam. IDK if synthetic is easy to foam or not.

I will try to measure what I remove tomorrow and see how much over that level is.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    I'm going to guess that's a least 1 quart overfilled. 1.5 quarts overfilled would make sense if the tech just grabbed 5 quarts and started pouring. You could always just take it back to them and let them deal with it. It's not an ideal situation but it's not the end of the world, either.

There are YouTube videos showing how to use a large syringe for extracting oil from the dipstick tube without going underneath the car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I'm going to guess that's a least 1 quart overfilled. 1.5 quarts overfilled would make sense if the tech just grabbed 5 quarts and started pouring. You could always just take it back to them and let them deal with it. It's not an ideal situation but it's not the end of the world, either.

There are YouTube videos showing how to use a large syringe for extracting oil from the dipstick tube without going underneath the car.
    Wait a minute. I remember my Chrysler dealer used bulk oil supplied via a hose on a retractable reel with a wand that had a control on the head with various settings to deliver a measured amount of oil. And decently sized dealership will have the same setup.

So, ya, Top Fuel is likely dead on. The tech didn't change the quantity from the last car he did which likely took 5 quarts.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm going to guess that's a least 1 quart overfilled. 1.5 quarts overfilled would make sense if the tech just grabbed 5 quarts and started pouring. You could always just take it back to them and let them deal with it.

I think I will take it back to them and have it documented and have them fix it, and also ask to speak to service manager. Previous owner was using an oil change shop, and even they managed to fill it to the proper level.
    I will post results of this "come back" visit Monday afternoon. Thanks to all who replied.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    I think I will take it back to them and have it documented and have them fix it, and also ask to speak to service manager.
    That's a good plan. Just explain what happened and give them a chance to make it right. Keep your cool and don't run in there with guns blazing. Hammering on the service manager isn't going to help your cause.

Walker has a really good Mitsubishi tech who's been there for over 20 years. That's unheard of in the automotive technician world where turnover is usually high. When I have an issue I can't deal with (or don't have the time) I just take my car in and ask for that guy to work on it. He's the only one besides myself that has touched my wife's '99 Eclipse.

Good luck!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's a good plan. Just explain what happened and give them a chance to make it right. Keep your cool and don't run in there with guns blazing. Hammering on the service manager isn't going to help your cause.

Walker has a really good Mitsubishi tech who's been there for over 20 years. That's unheard of in the automotive technician world where turnover is usually high. When I have an issue I can't deal with (or don't have the time) I just take my car in and ask for that guy to work on it. He's the only one besides myself that has touched my wife's '99 Eclipse.

Good luck!

Yeah, its not "Hammertime", yet. But I trusted the manufacturers authorized service center, and now may have long term consequences d/t their error. We'll see how they respond. This will also cost me 1-2 hours vacation time at work to have them fix it. Not thrilled about that either. Let's see how their customer service is...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Yeah, its not "Hammertime", yet. But I trusted the manufacturers authorized service center, and now may have long term consequences d/t their error. We'll see how they respond. This will also cost me 1-2 hours vacation time at work to have them fix it. Not thrilled about that either. Let's see how their customer service is...
    I'd think that the overfill would have produced either a code of some form or a visual clue if any damage had been done. If there was so much oil that it foamed and/or wasn't being pumped the low oil pressure light would have gone on, and likely a code as well.

I suspect that it's easy to make a mountain out of what I perceive to be a smaller issue. I get your concern, I'd freak out at first too, then having time to reflect and think it through I'd come to realize modern engines have enough reporting facilities that serious, permanent damage without being notified in some fashion is not that likely.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I'd think that the overfill would have produced either a code of some form or a visual clue if any damage had been done. If there was so much oil that it foamed and/or wasn't being pumped the low oil pressure light would have gone on, and likely a code as well.

I suspect that it's easy to make a mountain out of what I perceive to be a smaller issue. I get your concern, I'd freak out at first too, then having time to reflect and think it through I'd come to realize modern engines have enough reporting facilities that serious, permanent damage without being notified in some fashion is not that likely.

This would be a "mountain" to me;

"When a person puts too much oil in their car, they can damage the car by creating a leaking engine. The leaking engine is caused by the additional pressure on the rear main bearing seal.

The additional pressure through the windage in the crankcase and the oil pump can cause the seal to break. Another problem that occurs is that the clutch may become a lubricated clutch due to the excess oil. From here, the front seal can break and then oil will flood throughout the car. This essentially leads to rapid damage throughout the car. The exact amount of damage will vary depending on the amount of excess oil as well as how far the vehicle was driven.

Automotive oil reservoirs are designed to hold a bit of extra oil to compensate for fluid expansion in warm conditions, and to help prevent damage to the engine in case excessive oil is added to the engine. As a result, half a quart may not cause any damage to your engine, but much more than that could lead to engine damage.

When too much oil is poured into the reservoir, the excess oil can be pulled into the crankshaft as it spins. The oil is mixed with air and aerates – also known as ‘foaming’ – like what you might find on your morning latte. The combination of oil and air results in decreased oil pressure as the oil pump is unable to continue pumping the oil effectively.

Can Too Much Oil Damage Your Engine?
    In a word, yes. There are several things that might happen if a significant amount of excess oil is added to your engine. Your engine relies on consistent oil pressure to keep the moving parts running smoothly. Changes in the oil pressure and overall lubrication of the engine can lead to:

Engine damage such as bent rods in the engine or collapsed valve pipes.
    Catastrophic engine failure where the engine sustains enough damage that it cannot be repaired, but must instead be replaced.
    Excess engine wear from inconsistent oil pressure over time.
    Spark plug fouling, resulting in the need to replace spark plugs more frequently.
    Excess oil deposits in the catalytic converter.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (10-21-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's the update: took car back to dealer and showed the "shop forman" the dipstick. Clearly over, but not as high when it was cold, as I had just driven 25 miles highway to get there. Took me back to talk to the tech that did the change, who said "I remember putting 3.5 qt in, which is what these call for"...at the time, he was looking something up on mitsubishi kiosk. Hmmm. I showed my picture of the dipstick cold, and asked what where the consequences or damage potential with it being so overfilled; he says "Would be been more if I didn't put any oil in it". How comforting.

I told him I would have figured that out on the drive home. He made a half-assed remark about maybe it was the bulk dispenser calibration.

I walked over to where the Jr. Flunky was draining my oil into a bucket and asked how much he got out? Jr. Flunky repeats mantra "3.5 quarts, just what we put in". I dejectedly walked back to waiting area, knowing these engines take 3 to 3.2 qt., figured a little over is better than what it was.

They did new oil (and new filter for some reason), and when I had to sign for it, ipaperwork said they put 3.2 quarts in! Heavy sigh and hallelujah! I checked it with the service writer before I left, and it was dead on.

Someone just admit you f$!#%@ up. It would have gone a long way. I'm a former ASE certified Honda tech, I know how to check an oil level, and it was way overfilled.

I won't be going back unless its warranty work, and maybe not even then. There's another Mitsubishi dealership not too much further away.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So all of that and it was only 0.3 quarts overfilled? That doesn't sound like it should cause any problems with that little extra. 5 and you probably would have noticed something was wrong lol.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)