Thread: Car washing during the winter in harsh climates

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Car washing during the winter in harsh climates

I do prefer to wash my stuff by hand in the nice weather but that option disappears come the fall and winter.

After hunting around google found a full service automatic car wash close enough to me, with assorted daily wash monthly plans. I chose the $20/month plan that became only $15/month with my CAA (AAA) membership. That's taxes in. I got the Plus as it does an underside rinse. https://washmycar.ca/st-catharines/exterior-car-wash/

Even if I wash my car weekly it's about $4 a shot. I can't even come close to hand washing my car in the coin bays for that small amount of money. I think the coin bays want $3-4 just to start, then look out, they demand more coins every couple of minutes it seems.

How do you take care of your car's exterior in the winter?

Coin bays? Automatic washes? You have your own facility in your garage? You do nothing and close your eyes to the mess your car becomes?

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Full automatic Thunder Falls. East siders know what I'm talking about.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I do prefer to wash my stuff by hand in the nice weather but that option disappears come the fall and winter.

After hunting around google found a full service automatic car wash close enough to me, with assorted daily wash monthly plans. I chose the $20/month plan that became only $15/month with my CAA (AAA) membership. That's taxes in. I got the Plus as it does an underside rinse. https://washmycar.ca/st-catharines/exterior-car-wash/

Even if I wash my car weekly it's about $4 a shot. I can't even come close to hand washing my car in the coin bays for that small amount of money. I think the coin bays want $3-4 just to start, then look out, they demand more coins every couple of minutes it seems.

How do you take care of your car's exterior in the winter?

Coin bays? Automatic washes? You have your own facility in your garage? You do nothing and close your eyes to the mess your car becomes?
    Just go to one of those fancy car wash places that has free vaccums. Then pay $10 bucks, get on the track and go thru. Theyve come a long way drive thru automatic car washes. Includes tire scrub, rain x treatment, etc.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Just go to one of those fancy car wash places that has free vaccums. Then pay $10 bucks, get on the track and go thru. Theyve come a long way drive thru automatic car washes. Includes tire scrub, rain x treatment, etc.
    I do the $10/free vacuum place here. It does the job. I've never like washing my own cars (although my FIAT was pretty easy and quick to wash). I wash my car about once a month. Doing delivery daily my car gets dusty and dirty quick. I don't care visually if my car is dirty or not, but figure it's good to keep clean anyhow. I like to spend some time on the interior at home.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

I'm horrible about washing my junk. On the rare occasion I do wash something, it's at a coin wash for the truck since it doesn't fit in most automatic car washes It usually looks like crap after since the ones I go to are dimly lit.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    12 bucks a month, free vacuums, and I can go once a day every single day if I want. No brainer for me... one of the best subscriptions I have ever bought...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm horrible about washing my junk.
    I feel bad for your wife...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-22-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    This thread is reminding me that it's time for my annual Krown application...

Name:  Krown1.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  79.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    This thread is reminding me that it's time for my annual Krown application...

Name:  Krown1.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  79.3 KB
    Me too. Tho' not at the Niagara Falls franchise, they are far too cheap with the mixture, I had to argue with them to spray the engine bay. They said it's not part of the warranty therefor not needed to be sprayed. I don't do business with franchises that make up rules to fatten their pocketbooks, I'll head to St. Catharines for treatment.

BTW, what is the cost in your area? It's $119 here less 15% for CAA (AAA) members.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a $15 month 10 wash subscription and I use it. "Noodles"my new Mirage has yet to be thru it, but my dear, late G4 was a regular all year long.