Thread: Confirmed: G4 discontinued/cancelled in Canada - hatchback to continue

Confirmed: G4 discontinued/cancelled in Canada - hatchback to continue

(2017 G4 - from thread: Darin's test drive review notes: 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage G4 sedan CVT &nbsp

In a report attributed to new president and CEO of Mitsubishi Motors of Canada, Juyu Jeon, Quebec-based auto site GuideAutoWeb.com says the Mirage G4 is finished in Canada, but the hatch will continue:

2019 will be the final model year for the Mirage G4, but what about the Mirage hatchback? This one will continue on for 2020.
    They attribute the decision to poor sales of the sedan compared to the hatchback:

For the record, 2,351 Mitsubishi Mirages were sold in Canada last year, with the sedan accounting for less than 20 percent of that total. Some units found their way into rental fleets, so very few people actually bought one.
    Source: https://amp.guideautoweb.com/en/arti...-won-t-return/

I always thought it was strange that the G4 came to Canada in the first place. As the article points out, the Canadian market generally prefers its small cars to be hatchbacks, not sedans.

It's generally opposite to the U.S. situation, eg: The Nissan Micra came to Canada and completely replaced the Versa sedan. Meanwhile in the States, the Versa is available as a seda only from 2020 on. The U.S. Hyundai Accent is sedan only; here it's hatchback only. There are more examples I can't think of right now....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I agree with Canada preferring 5 drs. I suspect the poor sales of the G4 were also because it carried a premium price, I've seen them priced @$21,000 + shipping, fees & taxes. That equates to $26,000 OTD. I don't think so. Mitsubishi shot themselves in the foot if they thought they could push the G4 as the luxury version of the Mirage.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-23-2019)

I agree. Can't fault them for trying, but clearly it didn't catch on.

I wonder what the hatch/sedan sales split is in the U.S.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

PS: I contacted Mitsu Canada to ask for confirmation/clarification of the story.

Mitsu Canada confirmation

My email:

I wonder if you could comment on a report from a Quebec auto news outlet that the G4 is being discontinued for Canada (2019 being its last model year). Can you clarify whether the hatchback will appear as a 2020 model?

Also, the report implies plans to offer the hatchback beyond 2020 are in doubt.
    Mitu's reply:

The last year for Mirage G4 is Model Year 2019. Mirage Hatchback is a key part of our vehicle lineup offering a great value to Canadians looking for a fuel-efficient entry-level vehicle backed by the world's best warranty.
    That's from Michelle Lee-Gracey, PR Manager, Mitsubishi Motor Sales of Canada, Inc.

I can't blame Ms Lee-Gracey for not answering the question about beyond 2020. It's par for the course re. "future product plans". Didn't hurt to ask.

I think I've only seen 1 G4 on the road over the past few years. I see random Mirage's(not including our fleet) fairly often and all over the province. When I went quading last month I saw 4-5 on a 3 hr drive to bf nowhere Nordegg.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

This puts Canada in good company with Australia... they also dropped the sedan after just 2 years on the market (but 2 years earlier than here)...

https://www.goauto.com.au/amp/mitsub...-08/23481.html

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I wonder what the hatch/sedan sales split is in the U.S.
    I have wondered that, too. The Mirage effectively became 2 models when the G4 was introduced...but Mirage sales didn't exactly double when that happened.

It's purely anecdotal on my part...but my impression is that G4s don't sell that well in the US, either. I rarely see one. My local dealer always has them available..and they don't seem to move them quickly. I've also noticed that G4 rebates have been more attractive than hatchback rebates.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I have wondered that, too. The Mirage effectively became 2 models when the G4 was introduced...but Mirage sales didn't exactly double when that happened.

It's purely anecdotal on my part...but my impression is that G4s don't sell that well in the US, either. I rarely see one. My local dealer always has them available..and they don't seem to move them quickly. I've also noticed that G4 rebates have been more attractive than hatchback rebates.
    Saaaaame

I never understood why they did it in the first place.
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I rarely see one.
    I see them. They tend to blend in and can be hard to spot.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)