Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: economical tire consensus?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post

That's double what they cost in the US.

I had perfect OEM alloys (off of my '15) and 700 mile Enasaves that I couldn't sell on this forum. Everyone here is...well...too cheap (no offense intended) I ultimately sold them on eBay for $450.

Unfortunately, everything is more expensive up there.
    Yes, I do need to find sales or rebates, watch for clear outs, seriously consider buying from America and taking a 35% exchange hit (which might work should I find a great sale in the US) or abandoning the upgrade.

My approach to sell the Mits alloys/Enasaves is to compile a list of cars and target those buyers. If for example, a Honda Fit (pretty sure they fit), $500 up here for mint alloys with gas saving new tires is a good deal.

I just can't get the amazing looks of the Konigs in bronze out of my head. Add 185's, VW springs, a sway bar and the Mirage will ride and handle as good or better than I could ask for. And I'll be happiest to have both Mirages configured the same.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Vee Rubber are crap. I got a new set for $100. They are 8/32 new and awful radial runout. I had mine Road force balanced and the issue cannot be fixed. The vibration between 35 and 45 is brutal and my fuel economy dropped worse than it was with my snow tires. Mid 30s MAX at 55 MPH.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcressy1987 View Post
    Vee Rubber are crap. I got a new set for $100. They are 8/32 new and awful radial runout. I had mine Road force balanced and the issue cannot be fixed.
    Exactly what happened with mine. I junked them and put on Goodyears.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    Exactly what happened with mine. I junked them and put on Goodyears.
    Okay sounds like the Federals are the cheapest possible without being a POS and for the right size. Good to keep in mind. Seems like the price is going back upwards on Walmart. Last I checked now $48.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    Okay sounds like the Federals are the cheapest possible without being a POS and for the right size. Good to keep in mind. Seems like the price is going back upwards on Walmart. Last I checked now $48.
    $44.97 @ simpletire.com with free-shipping tonight. I've said this before, but Walmart's prices go up and down on tires. I've seen this tire as low as $38 and as high as $150 on the Walmart site. Some days they aren't listed at all, but the Federal SS657 tires always come back eventually. If you aren't in a hurry & know what you want, I wouldn't hesitate to buy them when they are in the low $40 price range.

If you are willing to shop beyond Walmart, I wouldn't rule out the Nexen NPriz AH5 165/65R14 79S BSW Tires @ tires-easy.com. They are $52.36 with free-shipping, too. These tires have 65 reviews and the overall rating is 4.9/5. I don't put to much stock in reviews like this, but it's a South Korean tire company that's been around for 71 years. South Korean has a known automotive presence (KIA & Hyundai) in the U.S.

It's nice to have a couple good, affordable 165/65r14 options. I've bought Federal SS657 tires from simple-tires.com & Nokian Nordman 7 from tires-easy.com for my Mirage. In both cases, I received the tires with free-shipping in about 2-3 days.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And what type of MPG are we getting with these federals? Is 1-2MPG loss common or more? According to their website they are Europe "F" grade and only get "C" grade for wet grip.

https://www.federaltire.com/spec/spe...ur&model=SS657

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    I lost between 1-2 mpg

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)