Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Here's what 2018 Mirages are selling for at auction (USA)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    Where in the world do you have to pay sales tax based on the MSRP? That is crazy. I'm inclined to think maybe the dealer conned you on that. Here in WV sales tax is based on the price paid for the car minus any trade in.
    No I did not pay sales tax at dealer but MVC to avoid the documentation fee. NJ sales tax is 6.625%. All states that I have seen so far according to my google-fu must pay sales tax on the sales price and rebates. It is the price of the car minus trade in. They count the price including rebates. Trust me I told them what I thought about this... maybe NJ does it different.

https://budgeting.thenest.com/taxes-...-car-4018.html
    https://smallbusiness.chron.com/sale...-in-62364.html

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I think, if I understand this right, many jurisdictions look at the total vehicle price and apply their sales tax to that amount. Now, if you have coupons or qualify for any specials, like loyalty, first responders, etc., you still must pay sales tax on those discounts. Those discounts are applied after the total amount plus sales taxes is calculated. I've just repeated what Mirageman said in a slightly different way.

I know, it isn't right, you're paying tax on money (the discounts) that you never handed over to the dealer.

This is why it can appear that a person is paying tax on the msrp.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I think, if I understand this right, many jurisdictions look at the total vehicle price and apply their sales tax to that amount. Now, if you have coupons or qualify for any specials, like loyalty, first responders, etc., you still must pay sales tax on those discounts. Those discounts are applied after the total amount plus sales taxes is calculated. I've just repeated what Mirageman said in a slightly different way.

I know, it isn't right, you're paying tax on money (the discounts) that you never handed over to the dealer.

This is why it can appear that a person is paying tax on the msrp.
    Yea that is what I am talking about. Well the way they did it at my place is everything under the MSRP was a "rebate" so I was effectively taxed on the MSRP. In any case of how a rebate is used it makes no sense because this is not money anyone makes in the process. I am not sure if you can make the dealer write it up as the final price or what. They must have some incentive or reason to make you pay extra tax....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Where in the world do you have to pay sales tax based on the MSRP? That is crazy. I'm inclined to think maybe the dealer conned you on that. Here in WV sales tax is based on the price paid for the car minus any trade in.
    A few provinces charge tax on KBB value. Simple because for a decade before that, every used car registered somehow had a blown engine and was purchased for $100.

Hell, I paid "$100" for my first half dozen cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    A few provinces charge tax on KBB value. Simple because for a decade before that, every used car registered somehow had a blown engine and was purchased for $100.

Hell, I paid "$100" for my first half dozen cars.
    Ontario is one that does that. I get trying to end the $100 sale of a 3 year old car with a "trashed" engine but a car is heavily taxed when first sold, then taxed every sale thereafter. Who's the greedy party now?
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Hmmm...I'd rather pay $10K for a new Mirage (with a 10 year warranty intact) than to save a couple of grand on a lease turn-in. And I'm sure most/all of those are CVTs.Attachment 15762
    I had narrowed my car search to CPO's (Kia Rio sedan and Toyota/Scion Ia). I don't care about driving a new car for the novelty of saying "hey I have a brand new car." The warranty is nice, but I had a warranty on my FIAT and used it once, at the end just to use it. The reason I bought new, besides the deal I got, is that I like the idea of knowing my car's entire life story and how it was driven and cared for. I bought my FIAT new, so when something went wrong, I knew it, because I knew that car inside and out from the start. When I bought my interim 1996 Corolla with 196k miles, when something was 'different' in the driving experience, I didn't have any history to draw on (and I'm not a mechanically inclined guy, but I do know when things don't feel/sound/smell right).

So I got my new (well still new 2018) with 30 miles and warranty for $11k out the door/financed. I have figured out, even with what I could wind up paying for interest, I'm still getting a great deal (in my opinion). Being able to know my car's entire life history will always trump a 'reliable used' option or CPO for me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Go4th For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This.

FYI, in Ontario for private sales, you pay sales tax on the greater of the actual sale price or the black book WHOLESALE value of the car.

As a result, naturally the actual sale price is never higher than the wholesale value.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2015/2016 anecdotal prices

From another TTAC commenter in the junkyard Mirage thread who is apparently a used car dealer:

It’s slow. Its unattractive. But it gets the job done. I’ve been buying these 15-16 MY Mirages with middling miles in the 50s/60s for $3500-4500 and selling them for $5995-6995. How can you really go wrong when its still under warranty?
    Thread: Junkyard Find: 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage - Murilee Martin TTAC

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-18-2020)