Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Not cracked up to what I expected (Rockauto)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I sort of do the same. I will use Rock Auto to shop for options and get part numbers. Then I will look for the best deal elsewhere. Sometimes Rock Auto is still the best deal, but most times not.
    I just did a quick comparison of my most recent RA order between my typical shopping places: RA, Summit, and Amazon.
    Car and motorcycle spark plugs, air filters, belt, headlight bulbs, wiper blades.

RA's - $162 total - including taxes and shipping.
    Summit Racing - $262 total - including taxes and shipping.
    Amazon Prime - $301 total - including taxes.

That's quite competitive from RA.

On the other hand, RA's return policies/process pale in comparison to Amazon and Summit Racing.
    The fact that RA does not have a customer service department that you can talk to in-person, is alone a reason to spend $100 more with Summit.
    I understand that's how RA keeps their overhead to a minimum, but getting a wrong part, or needing help with your order and not being able to call a person just makes you feel helpless.

ivan

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dung Beetle View Post
    ...RA does not have a customer service department that you can talk to in-person...
    Interesting. I didn't know that.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not knowing means you haven't needed it - which is good.

"RockAuto is a completely online company. We do not have a customer service phone number to provide assistance over the phone. All of our customer service resources are available 24/7 online! Online self-service ensures consistent quality and keeps our prices low for you!"

If not the customer service, than just prepaid return labels and longer return window would make RA so much more competitive.
    ivan

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've used a fair bit of my inventory and thought it might be a good time to start looking around to replenish things.

I don't need a tremendous amount but I like to keep the essential items on hand. I need wiper blades, all 3 sizes, I should have a couple each of all the filters, cabin, air, oil. I still have 3 cabin, 2 actually when I replace my 2014. RA has a nice deal on AC Delco
    filters for $4/ea. by the case, but then again Amazon will send me a 10K mile Fram for $4.50 every 4 months.

I found a receipt from RA indicating I did buy plugs, 2 sets. Somewhere I have a mystery box with 203mm drums, shoes, plugs, a Fumoto and other goodies. It will turn up when I organize. Maybe I'll keep my ordering to a minimum.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)