Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Micra cancelled in Canada - 2019 is last year.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I guess an optimist would say who knows of course, but the writing does seem like it's on the wall for Nissan.

Chrysler was at that point before too in the 80s, and they rebounded. I like Nissan's cars. But they don't have the reputation of a Toyota or Honda. Some of that golden reputation is inflated anyways I'm sure. You can get a lemon with any brand. Even any model, if you have bad luck.

For Nissan though, things don't look good when there are scandals on the front page of the business section.
    In my opinion -

Renault has done very little to improve the image of Nissan. My money would go elsewhere.

Fiat has done very little for Chrysler's image, too. I don't think Chrysler has rebounded. If people weren't going gaga over full size pickup trucks and Jeep owner's weren't so loyal, I think Chrysler would become history. You couldn't even get me to look at a Chrysler product these days.

I had more respect for Mitsubishi prior to the merger with Renault/Nissan.

I am not overly impressed with any automotive company these days. I would no longer buy any vehicle with a new (unproven) engine or transmission these days, and that includes Toyota & Honda.

I do admire Suzuki somewhat. I sort of like their line up of small vehicles, including their new Jimny. Sadly, we have to admire them from a distance.

Assembling the Mitsubishi Triton in the States & selling them here, would probably help Mitsubishi more than anything. I don't sense Mitsubishi has their act together as company either.

I really like my Mirage, but I would dread having to visit my local Mitsubishi dealership. I've never been so turned off by a dealership before. Even their local radio ads are horrible & painful to listen to.

As far as the Micra goes, any small subcompact that gets less than 40 mpg would be a deal breaker for me. A small car has to be affordable, reliable, and very economical to drive for me to own one. That's why i have a Mirage parked in my driveway.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I've never been so turned off by a dealership before. Even their local radio ads are horrible & painful to listen to.

As far as the Micra goes, any small subcompact that gets less than 40 mpg would be a deal breaker for me. A small car has to be affordable, reliable, and very economical to drive for me to own one. That's why i have a Mirage parked in my driveway.
    I don't like my local Mitsu dealer either.

In the past month, I have been to the dealer 4 Friday afternoons in a row, over a leaking fuel filler. I should have had it fixed in 1 hour, and it became a real joke. Terrible service. Then, icing on the cake, the one sales guy implied the complimentary coffee is for the staff only.

I keep my cool, but I am not spending $1 when my Mirage has a 10 year warranty. The only redeeming factor at my dealer is the lady at the front desk is friendly, but not even that much. She probably wonders why I am there for like 13 hours over the course of a month.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Man aint no way in hell Nissan is pulling out of the US market. Their cars are everywhere. Even with the bad press, Ghosn, questionable CVTs, job cuts, the US is the main market of the world, hands down. They pull out of here and a huge chunk of Japan's exports aka their economy goes down the ****ter. No way their government would let that happen. We didnt with GM and Chrysler. Nissan will be fine in a couple of years, theyre simply too huge.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-27-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Man aint no way in hell Nissan is pulling out of the US market. Their cars are everywhere. Even with the bad press, Ghosn, questionable CVTs, job cuts, the US is the main market of the world, hands down. They pull out of here and a huge chunk of Japan's exports aka their economy goes down the ****ter. No way their government would let that happen. We didnt with GM and Chrysler. Nissan will be fine in a couple of years, theyre simply too huge.
    Yea Dirk you got a point there. The USA market is huge. And I went to Mexico when I was about 22 years old, and there were like millions and millions of Sentra's.

Then again, I would never say never, or too big to fail.

Hudson's Bay Company practically ruled all of Canada at one point, and they're not really doing that great nowadays. They even leased 1/3 of Alaska.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Make it 3 that have no use for their Mitsubishi dealer. The people I bought from are great, but 6 hours away. The closest bunch is just 45 minutes but both times I was in there everyone was busy doing something so important that a potential customer was left standing around for 10 minutes. Any place that treats customers like a nuisance doesn't deserve a deal.

As for brands, Ford was my go to for cars & Chrysler for vans. I'd still likely go with Chrysler if a van was essential to me but Ford is no longer a car choice for me. There was never a time any GM product interested me. For Asian cars, it's Mits for me, and as I have two Burgman scooters with legendary reliability Suzuki might get my business if they ever sell cars in NA again.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My nearest Mitsubishi dealer uses the Nissan service department located next door. I haven't had to bring my car it, so I'm remaining optimistic. I looked at the Kicks when it first came out. I used to have a bit of a hatch/wagon thing that has since waned. I never drove one as I thought from the get go it was more that I wanted to (or could for that matter) pay for what it was. It seems the cheapest, smallest cars are slowly but surely getting bigger and more expensive. And the big reason I see right now is the addition of seemingly industry wide 'safety suites' standard...lane assist, pedestrian warning, rear cross traffic, etc etc. I think that stuff is great, but I don't want any of it. One little fender bender and suddenly you are replacing sensors and cameras. I like the limited but useful (traction control, EBD, back up camera, ABS, good number of airbags) amount of safety equipment on my G4.

I grew up in a MOPAR family, so have always had a place in my heart for them. But after being severely screwed over by their engines (Plymouth Acclaim and a Breeze) they are dead to me. However, I see Pacifica's EVERYWHERE. And they seem to be pretty well received by reviews. And SOMEHOW the 300 rolls on. But, to it's defense, I think it still looks great. Had one as rental years ago, felt like I was in a bank vault.

I don't think Nissan will disappear either. I think they are starting to find some footing (like their cars are looking pretty decent again). Scandals these days are but a drop in society's short attention spanned wind. But at the end of the day, as other's have said or alluded to, no brand is 100% reliable, nor is any of their models. At the end of the day, I wade through the reviews written by actual owners to learn what I need to about the car I'm researching. Which helped push me into my G4. And this is the car I'm going to drive for a goal of 200k-300k miles. I like how my G4 looks, drives, the MPG, how it's optioned (not too much, not too little). I like how the interior looks-this is a huge thing for me. It's why the Fiesta (ST or otherwise) was never on my list. I couldn't handle the interior. And it's what you see the most....so immediate no. Before I bought my FIAT I had driven a Versa hatch with a manual. It was an amazing deal of a car, but it was just bleh to drive. To be fair I'd JUST come from driving turbocharged Abarths.....so there's that. But that put the Versa (and Note) off my list even after redesigns. But I love what Nissan has done with it!

I think that if Mitsubishi got it together and made a solid effort, they could see a good resurgence in NA. The fact alone that they have held on this long (I honestly thought they'd pull out of the US about 5 years ago-pre Mirage basically when the Galant and Endeavor were rounded things) speaks something to the brand. I'm also curious to see how the Outlander PHEV will continue to sell. My local dealer has like 60 of them in stock right now (I think there's a lease special). That's probably the only other vehicle I would consider if I need to upgrade for more space for whatever reason. I've wanted an electric vehicle for sometime, but a fully electric doesn't make sense for me at the moment. People seem to love the Outlander PHEV's too. Yeah, if Mitsubishi got some catchy ads out there, maybe a mild dealership makeover (both the physical locations and the employees) they could really shine, especially with little cars disappearing!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Go4th For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-27-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    A gently used Outlander PHEV seems like a good deal, once the big drop in value from depreciation happens. I don't know about Mitsubishi, with my car being oiled yearly by Krown, and still the fuel filler and/or cap busting; and the dealership taking 4 weeks in a row to fix a gas cap, then forget to order the part, I dont know.

Terrible service haha almost to sitcom-levels of absurdity. Do you know if Chrysler dealers do 4 tires for the price of 3 for ANY automobile?

Versa sedan returning to Canada to fill Micra slot

Nissan blinked.

When the Micra was re-introduced here in 2014, the explanation was Canadians "don't like" little sedans. So the Versa sedan was cancelled.

But with the cancellation of the Micra, they realized they have to put something in the entry level slot here. (The cheapest Kicks starts at over $20k with mandatory delivery fee.)

So the Versa sedan is making a comeback as a 2021 model:

Name:  2020-Nissan-Versa-Sedan-_o.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  92.1 KB

Ironically, the new Versa sedan shares a platform with the newest Micra hatchback (K14), which is not currently available in the western hemisphere.

Pricing of the Versa hasn't been announced yet, but you can bet there will not be a base S version starting at $9998. Price-wise, this car won't compete directly against the Mirage.

More info from Nissan Canada:

• 1.6-litre 4-cylinder engine @ 122 horsepower and 114 lb-ft of torque (same as the Kicks?)
    • Transmissions: CVT Xtronic transmission or a 5-speed manual.
    • Launch will be in late-summer of 2020 as 2021 model.
    • Available safety features not usually found in the segment: Nissan Safety Shield 360 = front, side and rear safety monitoring and intervention
    • Standard safety features include: Intelligent Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Detection, Rear Intelligent Emergency Braking, Lane Departure Warning and High Beam Assist.
    • Available features: Blind Spot Warning and Rear Cross traffic Alert.
    • Will be produced in the same Mexican factory that produced our K13 Micra

From: https://canada.nissannews.com/en-CA/...but-in-toronto

Canadian fuel economy hasn't been revealed yet, but it'll almost certainly be the same as the US model:

2020 Nissan Versa fuel economy:

5-speed Manual
    (MPG US ... L / 100 km)
    CVT automatic
    (MPG US ... L / 100 km)
    City 27 = 8.7 32 = 7.4
    Highway
    35 = 6.7 40 = 5.9
    Combined 30 = 7.8 35 = 6.7

Compare that to the 2019 Micra:

• 8.7 city / 6.8 highway (manual transmission)
    • 8.9 city / 6.8 highway (automatic)

Compare that to the Kicks (CVT only):

• 7.7 city / 6.6 highway

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Wow, what’s left in the subcompact offerings in Canada after this? Mirage might be last subcompact standing at this rate.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

It'll be the same as the US: Spark & Mirage alone in their segment.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)