Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Micra cancelled in Canada - 2019 is last year.

Micra cancelled in Canada - 2019 is last year.

Bombshell: Nissan Canada confirmed yesterday that the Micra is cancelled. The last model year is 2019.

Source: https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatur...come-to-canada

Why? Because they say the next gen Micra (which has already been available for several years overseas) will be too expensive to compete in the entry level segment. Also, Nissan has the Kicks cute-ute, which is built on the same platform as the Micra and uses a slightly modified version of the Micra's engine.

Production of the Canada-spec car will end in December (produced in Mexico), but they figure they'll have enough left in stock to carry sales well into 2020.

The Micra dominated the fight against the Spark & Mirage in Canada's $10k cheap car fight since day one. I literally didn't see a single negative review of the car here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Daox (10-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    More Mirage competition dropping...
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    nissan-micra-will-be-discontinued-for-2020-new-micra-wont-come-to-canada[/url]

The Micra dominated the fight against the Spark & Mirage in Canada's $10k cheap car fight since day one. I didn't see a single negative review of the car here.
    Also they're self competing (or cannibalizing) having the subcompact Versa Note AND the Micra for sale.

Kinda kills their bottom line, and their dealer network's; and I hear Nissan sales and profits are way, way down the past 2 years. Car sales generally are pretty flat right now.

The Cummins Titan is cancelled this year too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Also they're self competing (or cannibalizing) having the subcompact Versa Note AND the Micra for sale.
    Cancellation of the Versa Note was already announced earlier this year. In both Canada and the U.S.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

I'm less confident about the future of the Mirage in Canada & the U.S. after this news.

If the next gen. Mirage is going to be based on the new Micra platform, and Nissan has decided it's not worth it to sell here, it raises the same question about the Mirage.

The potential saving grace for the Mirage being: there's no similarly sized/priced cute-ute that can replace the Mirage in its lineup... yet. The Nissan Kicks is actually based on the current Micra platform and engine.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-26-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I'm less confident about the future of the Mirage in Canada & the U.S. after this news.

If the next gen. Mirage is going to be based on the new Micra platform, and Nissan has decided it's not worth it to sell here, it raises the same question about the Mirage.

The potential saving grace for the Mirage being: there's no similarly sized/priced cute-ute that can replace the Mirage in its lineup... yet. The Nissan Kicks is actually based on the current Micra platform and engine.
    Interesting, I did not know the Kicks is based on the Micra platform. Bam it's overpriced then to me right away. I wouldn't want an automatic transmission-only Micra, or pay 17 grand or way more for a "car" cute-ute that was selling for $9999 new with a different body.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post

Kinda kills their bottom line, and their dealer network's; and I hear Nissan sales and profits are way, way down the past 2 years. Car sales generally are pretty flat right now.

The Cummins Titan is cancelled this year too.
    I had a Nissan sales guy calling me quarterly for two years after I took a Micra test drive in late 2016. I admire his tenacity but to be chasing someone over their cheapest car speaks volumes. The saving grace for the Mirage is the Nissan alliance. Cancelling the Micra and Versa effectively left Mits as the only Asian brand subcompact. The new Micra is viewed as a Renault as it's produced in France by Renault. That explains why it won't be shipped here. It's seen as a European car, not a world car.

Never mind who makes the Spark, it's seen as a GM. Forget the Accent, it's priced itself out of reality. Ford has killed the Fiesta. This also helps to explain the G4 cancellation. This new thing from Nissan, Kicks? or whatever it's called, is about the G4 price point, is it not? Now there is no competition for it from Mitsubishi, as there is now no Mirage competition from Nissan.

It all makes sense if you ask me. If/when Mits announces the Mirage is dead in Europe than it's time to panic. That's the first step to try to push the French Micra onto the world.

On another positive note, used Micras just lost anywhere from 15-30% of their value as cancelled autos have far less resale appeal than current models. It might be time to snag a low mileage SV Micra 5mt for Mirage type money.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (10-26-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    It all makes sense if you ask me. If/when Mits announces the Mirage is dead in Europe than it's time to panic. That's the first step to try to push the French Micra onto the world.

On another positive note, used Micras just lost anywhere from 15-30% of their value as cancelled autos have far less resale appeal than current models. It might be time to snag a low mileage SV Micra 5mt for Mirage type money.
    I think I will cross Nissan off my list of potential cars to replace my current car. My 2014 Mirage ES 5mt. If Nissan is on shaky financial ground, your sales story there Wallythacker, red flag.

Nissan could close shop and its stores in North America in a flash. You could end up out of luck for warranty work. Then all the depreciation in your cars value, like you said.

So my next car maybe go Kia, or Subaru. And the pickings for "cheap" new base 5 speed manuals is slimmer each year.
    I have Rio and I have Impreza as options. Both come in hatchback forms, and both are bigger than my Mirage.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I never thought I'd see one of the Asian "Big-3", Toyota, Honda or Nissan get into trouble. I suspect Nissan's troubles go far, far deeper than the recent CEO and stock scandals. It wouldn't surprise me to learn their books are cooked going back to 2000, or earlier. The part purchase of Mits and the alliance with Renault all screams desperation. What does Nissan bring to the party that Honda or Toyota doesn't do better or cheaper?

Mits, Mazda, Subaru have always been niche Japanese brands.

ETA: Wiki paints a rosy picture for Nissan. Total sales have increased every year in the last 20. I now have no opinion regarding the health of Nissan.
    Last edited by Wallythacker; 10-27-2019 at 12:32 AM.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I never thought I'd see one of the Asian "Big-3", Toyota, Honda or Nissan get into trouble.
    I guess an optimist would say who knows of course, but the writing does seem like it's on the wall for Nissan.

Chrysler was at that point before too in the 80s, and they rebounded. I like Nissan's cars. But they don't have the reputation of a Toyota or Honda. Some of that golden reputation is inflated anyways I'm sure. You can get a lemon with any brand. Even any model, if you have bad luck.

For Nissan though, things don't look good when there are scandals on the front page of the business section.