Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My dry-rotted tires? (pictures)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

My dry-rotted tires? (pictures)

I only have 19,000 miles on my stock tires (4 years old) but do you think this amount of dry-rot is dangerous enough for me to replace them yet?

Seems like such a waste of dollars to replace them with so much tread still left on the suckers

2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Wait for one to pop?

Edit: Hey Basic - you know these things. What can be done about this?
    Last edited by Eggman; 10-26-2019 at 07:15 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I wouldn't worry about it. If you have 19,000 miles on Enasaves, then they are probably 50% worn by now anyway so it's not like you're going to be driving on them for another 3 years.

Tires don't like direct sunlight and constant exposure to UV rays. Based on where you live, your tires are getting hammered every day by the sun.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

fc321 (10-26-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I am going to start protecting the tires by using 303 aerospace UV protection. I wish I had been doing that all along and they would have never dry-rotted in the first place. Just apply the spray every 30 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD8WFiDGx4Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfZVFSnw1_U
    Last edited by fc321; 10-26-2019 at 11:07 PM.
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fc321 View Post
    I am going to start protecting the tires by using 303 aerospace UV protection. I wish I had been doing that all along and they would have never dry-rotted in the first place. Just apply the spray every 30 days.
    Wow - according to Amazon reviews, it looks like the real deal.

303 (30382) UV Protectant for vinyl, rubber, plastic, tires and finished leather, 16 fl. Oz

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    If you have 19,000 miles on Enasaves, then they are probably 50% worn by now anyway so it's not like you're going to be driving on them for another 3 years.
    If he only has 19,000 miles on them after 4 years, he could be driving on them for another 3 years (if they last).

Personally, I would use them up until I had an issue (worn out, flat, or whatever) with them. Then again, I have a pair of snow tires sitting the garage. If I lost a tire, I can use them until I get a pair of replacements. In most cases, that would be 2-3 days. I also have a second vehicle.

I am still using a pair of factory Dunlop tires, & I don't trust them. If I am driving a long distance, I throw a mounted snow tire in the car. I wouldn't want to drive a long distance home on a small donut spare.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You can't bring them back once they've dried out like that. The damage is done. If the sidewalls are showing signs of cracking, that's where things get really dangerous. The cracks in the tread will just chunk out if you were to really push the tires hard.

We go through the same thing with my wife's car. She doesn't put enough miles on it to wear out tires. We generally replace them every 3-4 years when she starts complaining about wet performance falling off. (usually about the first time she sees the traction control like come on in the rain) They'll be at about half-tread by then. I don't even bother rotating her tires any more. She just plain doesn't wear them out.
    Simplify and add lightness.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (10-27-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Don't worry! Looks perfectly fine.

My first Metro came with some 20 y/o oem tires, one of which had good tread and still held air. Being young and ignorant I ran it for nearly 10K miles. Still held air up until I got a new tire mounted on the rim this July.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-30-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Aerospace 303 is a great product. It's the only protectant type product I use any more. This stuff protects and leaves a more natural finish once applied. It's not greasy like Armor All. It's popular with boaters and other applications that are constantly dealing with the sun. I keep my headlight lenses wiped with this stuff so they won't deteriorate so quickly.

Tip: A gallon of this stuff is about $40. That may seem like a lot, but not when a bottle of Armor All is $7.99. I've been using the same gallon of 303 for about 6 years now.

Ummm...I'm at a loss of words for MacClyver's tires...

Name:  cracks.jpg
Views: 6869
Size:  92.3 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Aerospace 303 is a great product. It's the only protectant type product I use any more. This stuff protects and leaves a more natural finish once applied. It's not greasy like Armor All. It's popular with boaters and other applications that are constantly dealing with the sun. I keep my headlight lenses wiped with this stuff so they won't deteriorate so quickly.

Tip: A gallon of this stuff is about $40. That may seem like a lot, but not when a bottle of Armor All is $7.99. I've been using the same gallon of 303 for about 6 years now.
    Armor All. Ugh. I don't know what's in that crap. I used it long before MSDS were widely available and I'd get weird rashes, breathing irregularities and other wonderful things. I clued in it was the problem after using it for several years. I'm sure any horrible chemicals have long been removed, but who knows? There's no way it will ever be used by me again.

This Aerospace 303 looks worth a try. It's $120/US gallon up here vs. $52/gallon on Amazon US.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)