Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My dry-rotted tires? (pictures)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Thanks for the helpful insight, Basic.

One more quick question - can this Ozone Cracking be slowed or stopped by using treatments? I've heard that treatments are ineffective, but then some manufacturers can come up with very compelling product marketing that makes it look like I can't live without buying their stuff.
    It's a fantastic question Eggman. It actually struck me as odd, thinking about it as in my almost 20 years in the tire industry, I have never heard anyone mention "protectants" of any sort. I worked on a research team specifically looking at Ozone Cracking and not once was a protectant like this even discussed. I have to believe that the answer is ultimately no, or that it may help marginally but not measurably?

I will be at SEMA next week and will ask some questions and see what I can find out.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-30-2019),inuvik (10-30-2019),Loren (10-30-2019),MetroMPG (10-30-2019)

Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    the wax and oils in the rubber compound (mostly the wax) leach out of the rubber due to many factors (temperature swings, sunlight exposure, etc) but the most common reason as Loren and Darin mentioned is LACK OF EXERCISE. Tires are very much living creatures and need to move!
    You read it here first, folks: keep your tires in the fridge, and walk them once a day!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Basic (10-30-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    It's a fantastic question Eggman. It actually struck me as odd, thinking about it as in my almost 20 years in the tire industry, I have never heard anyone mention "protectants" of any sort. I worked on a research team specifically looking at Ozone Cracking and not once was a protectant like this even discussed. I have to believe that the answer is ultimately no, or that it may help marginally but not measurably?

I will be at SEMA next week and will ask some questions and see what I can find out.
    Thank you for the great explanation. It's awesome having people with such diverse skills here. Me? I can more or less tell you how to fly a 767 straight and level. Hardly a useful in demand skill, I know.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)