Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CVT @ 7000 miles (review / impressions / thoughts)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Ford’s DCT’s have been an absolute disaster. Lawsuits, recalls and Ford knew from engineering reports well before they were installed across their vehicle range that the DCT’s were not reliable enough to use. No thanks.
    Ford's transmission is a dual-clutch automated manual. Toyota's is a CVT with a torque-converted first gear (like a traditional automatic)--it bears no relation to a DCT.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
    Ford's transmission is a dual-clutch automated manual. Toyota's is a CVT with a torque-converted first gear (like a traditional automatic)--it bears no relation to a DCT.
    Which Toyota CVT? I think the iQ used its own special one, which seemed to have a gear-change effect, but I don't think it was a hybrid of another transmission type.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mainertodd View Post
    I think we were using the Ford as a textbook example of how not to make a transmission and how to royally p*ss off your customers.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Clarification: the new Toyota CVT uses a fixed first gear ratio for taking off from a stop, so it feels like and has the same responsiveness of a conventional automatic, in first.

Then it switches to the belt & pulleys/CV mode.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

PS: Go4th , thanks for the CVT review!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Go4th (11-06-2019)