Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ABS and Traction Control Lights still on after sensor swap (Update: solved!)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's good news - thanks for reporting back.
    Lights came back on 15 min after I posted. I'll continue to monitor the issue and work to identify the cause and will report back. I am getting a wheel shimmy that I was sure were these new City Star tires but now I am considering it may be the hub bearing. Going elsewhere than the mechanic who changed the sensor.

That sucks. Can you post what codes you had/have?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    That sucks. Can you post what codes you had/have?
    I shall later today!

I feel like a total Rookie, I just replaced the sensor because of the symptoms and the error code on my mechanic's machine. But he is more of a "you bring me parts I will install them type guy" and he did not do a full troubleshooting, neither did I, and I feel like I shot myself in the foot here throwing money at a problem without a full diagnosis. Lesson learned.

I wouldn't worry about that, that's the cheapest and easiest part to change. I likely woulda done the same thing. The wheel bearings are a bit of a pain to replace in these, and they aren't cheap. Rock auto lists them at $105 merican for the front.

One other thought, do you have aftermarket brake light bulbs or anything plugged into the obdII port while driving by change? Some have reported random electrical problems with some led bulbs and certain obdII dongles/gps/wifi things.

And another problem I ran into was the brake lights would come on randomly and stay dimly lit while the car was on. Dealer changed the brake switch and kicked it out the door. I eventually found a corroded connector behind the kick panel that was the problem all along. This doesn't sound like your issue though but something to keep in mind down the road as it causes a lot of random problems from airbag,abs, engine lights and driveability problems and was a huge pita to track down.
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-30-2019 at 02:08 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My '17 will activate both the traction control and ABS lights at random. It's because I have a Veepeak BT OBDII adapter plugged into a splitter with my Scangauge. Something goes wonky every 4-6 weeks. The cure for me is to stop, turn off the car, throw the switches on the spliiter (each line has a switch) start the car and drive away. The lights are cured, every time. But....when this first happened I drove around for two weeks with the lights on. THey would not reset until I clued in and threw the switches.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    this happened to me before during a heavy rain for like a week..i think the abs sensors became grounded or are too sensitive which is really weird...the lights didnt turned off after a day or two...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flip096 View Post
    this happened to me before during a heavy rain for like a week..i think the abs sensors became grounded or are too sensitive which is really weird...the lights didnt turned off after a day or two...
    It's at the dealer. Getting a new wheel bearing under powertrain warranty. 85k on car.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to bcressy1987 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-31-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Issue resolved

Dealer found the wheel bearing to be worn. Changed out under powertrain warranty. Car is back to normal! They also determined my local tire shop did not rotate my worst Vee Rubber crap tire to the rear as I had been told, so they did it, and the wheel shimmy is basically gone!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bcressy1987 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (11-05-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcressy1987 View Post
    Dealer found the wheel bearing to be worn. Changed out under powertrain warranty. Car is back to normal! They also determined my local tire shop did not rotate my worst Vee Rubber crap tire to the rear as I had been told, so they did it, and the wheel shimmy is basically gone!
    Again, that's good news.

Thanks for letting us know.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)