Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABS and Traction Control Lights still on after sensor swap (Update: solved!)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

ABS and Traction Control Lights still on after sensor swap (Update: solved!)

Hey Friends
    Last Saturday during low speed braking my ABS and traction control lights lit up. I proceeded to drive 25 miles on the highway and the lights turned off. The throughout the day they came on and off intermittently, and my front right wheel sounded as though the brakes were engaged partially and I was having minor skidding at low speed braking. I took the car to my local trusted mechanic and he was able to scan the codes. The front right ABS wheel speed sensor was the culprit. I inspected it myself and found some of the wiring insulation to be coming off. It looked as though it was a little bit melted. I purchased what I believe to be an OEM sensor from MitsubishiPartsNow.com for 30% dealer cost and today my trustworthy mechanic installed for me as I have a tendency to do more damage than good when doing anything other than oil changes.

The car drives and performs normally now but the ABS light and traction control light will not go off. Does anyone on here have any solutions or know of any means to reset the lights without dealer involvement? Or may there be other issues I'm overlooking in my naivete?

thanks!
    Ben

Just A Mirage!
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In theory the lights should turn off once you've replaced the damaged sensor and the ABS controller is getting a solid reading from it -- If the light is still on there should still be a DTC that can be read by your mechanic.

Something you could try on your own is disconnect the battery to reset everything, then see if the light comes back. If it does, I'd take it back to your mechanic to be re-read again (there is most likely a DTC at this point)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.5 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.0 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phaux For This Useful Post:

Cobrajet (10-29-2019),MetroMPG (10-30-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    The light should reset itself, but, as was mentioned, it may take a few key on/key off cycles for this to happen.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    The light should reset itself, but, as was mentioned, it may take a few key on/key off cycles for this to happen.
    Here's hoping... I have turned it on and off at least 4 times and driven 30 miles since the replacement. Maybe I am just too impatient.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    It is also possible that you may still have another issue?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sure... gotta have the code read again to find out... Mitsu apparently recommends having the wheel hub bearing changed too, but I didn't see that TSB until too late.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bcressy1987 View Post
    Sure... gotta have the code read again to find out... Mitsu apparently recommends having the wheel hub bearing changed too, but I didn't see that TSB until too late.
    from what I can find digging around the web this light needs to be turned off at a dealer

I've usually just used a scan tool to turn of abs lights. Never tried just driving it. It may go out after a few start and stops, but it might not. You may have an entirely different problem too.

Iirc, I've only ran into the wires going to the rear abs sensors brake. It was pretty obvious where, between the trailing axle and floor.

Having a broken abs wire won't make your wheel bearing wear out..

If the light doesn't go out on it's own, find someone or a half competent shop with a scan tool to scan it see what codes are stored and erase the codes. You don't need to go to a dealer to have that done. Most dealers seem to like it dry.
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-29-2019 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Less meany headish

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I've usually just used a scan tool to turn of abs lights. Never tried just driving it. It may go out after a few start and stops, but it might not. You may have an entirely different problem too.

Iirc, I've only ran into the wires going to the rear abs sensors brake. It was pretty obvious where, between the trailing axle and floor.

Having a broken abs wire won't make your wheel bearing wear out..

If the light doesn't go out on it's own, find someone or a half competent shop with a scan tool to scan it see what codes are stored and erase the codes. You don't need to go to a dealer to have that done. Most dealers seem to like it dry.
    All set! My mechanic assumed the code would clear automatically, which it usually does. He just cleared it manually. Car is driving normal again!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcressy1987 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-29-2019),MetroMPG (10-30-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcressy1987 View Post
    All set! My mechanic assumed the code would clear automatically, which it usually does. He just cleared it manually. Car is driving normal again!
    That's good news - thanks for reporting back.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)