Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 CVT failing at 87,000 miles .... UPDATE: false alarm

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    First thing, check the fluid. Is it black? Drop the oil pan, if there are pieces that look like this Attachment 15787 you're gonna have a bad time.
    Am I right in my assumption that it probably the CVT?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.8 mpg (Imp)

Does it kinda feel like it want's to stall when stopped? Like a standard does when stopping while in gear without pressing the clutch? Kinda jerky?

Could be cvt, but check the fluid first. Could be anything really, fuel pump, ign coil, bad fuel.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Very jerky when you get going.... not when stopped though. Give it gas and it's like no power and it delayed before it starts kicking in. Then its jerky until you start getting up to speed around 50 mph then smooths out drives farely normal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cretbo View Post
    Bought it with 21k on it from mits dealer. warranty is up at 60k..... I'm sick about this as I have kept the maintenance up... has newer brakes,tires and battery.....
    Still under warranty? Don't do anything, leave it at the dealer, make them fix it. Hopefully you're back on the road before you know it! I feel bad, that's terrible stress you're dealing with.

Whatever it is, it's powertrain.

You bought a Mitsu for a long warranty

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

I haven't driven one with a bad cvt more than 30mph, the latest one we had would shake when coming to a stop.
    The other ones probably had some symptoms but I wasn't made aware of any problems until the car quit moving altogether.

Still, just check your fluid, if it's black that's not usually a good sign. Especially for being replaced relatively recently.

If it is the cvt, you may be able to remove it, tear it open and replace a shaft/bearing assembly and be good to go. But that's if it's caught early enough. Most seem to be driven to the point til metal contaminates the oil so bad that it'll take out bearings, valve body and the baby unicorns.

Hope for the best but expect the worst.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Still under warranty? Don't do anything, leave it at the dealer, make them fix it. Hopefully you're back on the road before you know it! I feel bad, that's terrible stress you're dealing with.

Whatever it is, it's powertrain.

You bought a Mitsu for a long warranty
    Unfortunately Minnesota isn't in Canada. I don't think the full 100000 mile warranty is transferable in the US.
    Mirage videos:

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Unfortunately Minnesota isn't in Canada. I don't think the full 100000 mile warranty is transferable in the US.
    To quote Cretbo at the beginning of this thread, "bought it with 21k on it from mits dealer. warranty is up at 60k....."

Hopefully our new friend is at 59k or <

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    To quote Cretbo at the beginning of this thread, "bought it with 21k on it from mits dealer. warranty is up at 60k....."

Hopefully our new friend is at 59k or <
    Have almost 86,500 miles on it ... warranty was up at 60k as I was 2nd owner as bought with 21k miles in 2016

It say's 87k right in the title lol. That's ok I usually find reading hard.

Well, there's not much sense speculating much more til you actually do some looking. It could be out of fluid for all we know. Can't fix cars via keyboard, well.... not these ones.
    Hopefully it isn't the cvt but don't be too surprised if it is.
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-29-2019 at 05:15 PM.
    Mirage videos:

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Pryme (10-30-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It say's 87k right in the title lol. That's ok I usually find reading hard.

Well, there's not much sense speculating much more til you actually do some looking. It could be out of fluid for all we know. Can't fix cars via keyboard, well.... not these ones.
    Hopefully it isn't the cvt but don't be too surprised if it is.
    Will check fluid tonight ....