Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: 2014 CVT failing at 87,000 miles .... UPDATE: false alarm

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    He hasnt posted yet though! There's still hope!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Cretbo, good news I hope? Please inform us of your experience so far.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Ok.... they changed the CVT fluid, and It also had a loose spark plug. After 1 week of driving. Everything appears back to normal!! When it is cold, I baby it for first couple of miles .... 70 mile round trip work commute. 11F this morning in Minnesota. When its warmed up ... seems to have way better power and very responsive. I'm extremely happy that this car appears to be back!!! 87k on car

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cretbo For This Useful Post:

Eggman (11-11-2019),Fummins (11-12-2019),MetroMPG (11-11-2019),Top_Fuel (11-11-2019)

Good to hear! Updating the thread title...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Awsome! Good to get examples on here of a CVT surviving a close call. I was under the impression that if just one little thing goes wrong, the whole CVT has to be replaced. I guess the flashing "D" really does give you a fighting chance to repair your transmission versus just letting you know your f#cked.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Awsome! Good to get examples on here of a CVT surviving a close call. I was under the impression that if just one little thing goes wrong, the whole CVT has to be replaced. I guess the flashing "D" really does give you a fighting chance to repair your transmission versus just letting you know your f#cked.
    Still going to baby this thing.... will give another update in a month.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 44.8 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    With the high mile CVTs Fummins has in his fleet, many thrashed within an inch of their lives and the total failure count, is what, 2? I wouldn't lose 5 minutes sleep worrying about my CVT going out.

Mitsubishi has done everything right with our little cars, except for gearing 5th in the MT way too high, oh, and the goofball 165/65/14 tires, to have screwed up putting a failure prone CVT in place.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    With the high mile CVTs Fummins has in his fleet, many thrashed within an inch of their lives and the total failure count, is what, 2? I wouldn't lose 5 minutes sleep worrying about my CVT going out.

Mitsubishi has done everything right with our little cars, except for gearing 5th in the MT way too high, oh, and the goofball 165/65/14 tires, to have screwed up putting a failure prone CVT in place.
    I think we had 4 replaced in total. 1 at around 300k kms, 1 around 270?k, another one just made noise and the dealer replaced it under warranty, and a 3rd one was from another city and poorly maintained(no cvt fluid changes)had around 120-140k?-dealer denied warranty so I replaced it with a used one.

So far our longest lasting cvt has 315k km/195k miles. I don't think I've replaced anything on it other than brakes, spark plugs, and a cat.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I think we had 4 replaced in total. 1 at around 300k kms, 1 around 270?k, another one just made noise and the dealer replaced it under warranty, and a 3rd one was from another city and poorly maintained(no cvt fluid changes)had around 120-140k?-dealer denied warranty so I replaced it with a used one.

So far our longest lasting cvt has 315k km/195k miles. I don't think I've replaced anything on it other than brakes, spark plugs, and a cat.
    Fleet cars. Surviving so well. Amazing little things.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

Is that expensive replacing the cat converter? It was $3k on my old Subaru.