Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Know a good, cheap shrink?

Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I stumbled upon a 3 cyl, 5MT, with about 260,000 or so Kms. Price $850.

It's a '92 convertible Geo. Why not? It's practically free. I can fit it into my garage for the winter.
    Come get mine! I've got a '91 with only 110k kms on it and I'll sell it for the same price! Needs the floors welded, though.

Name:  member-metrompg-albums-1991+pontiac+firefly+(geo+metro)+convertible+-+before-picture2190-pass-to.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  52.0 KB

The probem with these cars (or any convertible?) was if the top leaked at all, the floors rotted out. Same thing happened to the '90 Miata that I have now - never winter driven, yet the floors were swiss cheese when I got it.

Seriously, check for underbody rust/rust repairs on that one if you're going to look at it.

There must be turbos, headers, superchargers, hot cams and whatnot available for this little motor. I hope. This will be my triple cyl. hot rod!
    Yes, there are. Or you can source a Swift GT twincam 1.3L drivetrain and it bolts right in for 100 hp instead of 55. (Rats - I already parted out my Swift GT!)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-01-2019)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Come get mine! I've got a '91 with only 110k kms on it and I'll sell it for the same price! Needs the floors welded, though.

Name:  member-metrompg-albums-1991+pontiac+firefly+(geo+metro)+convertible+-+before-picture2190-pass-to.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  52.0 KB
    Yes, there are. Or you can source a Swift GT twincam 1.3L drivetrain and it bolts right in for 100 hp instead of 55. (Rats - I already parted out my Swift GT!)
    So will the 134hp Vitara engine (1.5l) drop in? Holy h@ll. That would fly. I also read there's a 1.0l turbo with about 80hp. That would be wicked fast. It appears there's a multitude of engine choice for a Geo. The beauty is, all are non interference, save for the hipo twincam.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I don't have a "fun" car. Yes, the Mirages are a blast but dare I say practical as well? Blasphemy. While perusing Kijiji I stumbled upon a 3 cyl, 5MT, with about 260,000 or so Kms. Price $850. No, it's not a cheap Mirage.

It's a '92 convertible Geo. Why not? It's practically free. I can fit it into my garage for the winter. There must be turbos, headers, superchargers, hot cams and whatnot available for this little motor. I hope. This will be my triple cyl. hot rod!
    I had a 1985 VW cabrio and that is a fun convertible. Another cool convertible I have seen recently on kijiji is a Dodge Shadow convertible. I would not be surprised if the car is still for sale. In the London area if I recall, but possibly not. The colour was blue, and the car was pretty decent shape? I didn't see it in real life.

I owned my VW for like 8 years, and was almost all fixed up, and then I had to sell the car. You're right about convertibles being the best way to enjoy Canada's always short-lived summers!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I had my heart set on a convertible Monza Corvair. I keep missing them even though I have alerts set. They seem to be pricing themselves out of affordability and fast. Same with the 5.0 MT convertible Mustangs. At one time you could tow them away for free. Not any more.....

My biggest ever car goof? Turning down a FREE 1968 Shelby GT500 convertible.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)