Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Know a good, cheap shrink?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Know a good, cheap shrink?

I don't have a "fun" car. Yes, the Mirages are a blast but dare I say practical as well? Blasphemy. While perusing Kijiji I stumbled upon a 3 cyl, 5MT, with about 260,000 or so Kms. Price $850. No, it's not a cheap Mirage.

It's a '92 convertible Geo. Why not? It's practically free. I can fit it into my garage for the winter. There must be turbos, headers, superchargers, hot cams and whatnot available for this little motor. I hope. This will be my triple cyl. hot rod!

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Those little cars are a hoot. I have never owned one, but a friend did. He bought it used with about 20k on it, and proceeded to put another 200k on it. The last time I rode in it that car was rickety as hell!

One thing to be careful of with these cars is rust, particularly in the rockers and frame horns. That said, convertible Metros are often 'garage queens' and only driven in the summer, so rust is less of an issue with them. Also, be wary of burned exhaust valves...a common problem on the Suzuki G10

There aren't too many hot rod parts for this engine, but don't let that stop you. They are a lot of fun even with 55 horsepower!

I was in the same boat as you a couple years ago. The Pacific Northwest may be famous for rain, but I decided I needed a cheap convertible for the GORGEOUS spring and summer weather we get around here. After a month or two of looking, I settled on a 2004 Saab 9-3 convertible.

Whether you get the Metro or something else, you should definitely scratch that 'fun car' itch!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I definitely agree that a convertible is really the only way to enjoy the sunny summer days we get. I think it's spent a good part of life avoiding winter but it has been winter driven the last two years by the owners daughter to commute to uni and back. From the photos it looks really good, no streaking or visible rust. It might only have the last two winters on it.

I'm not overly worried about hopping it up. I imagine it's a little peppier than the Mirage seeing it's almost 400lbs. lighter, even thought the hp is down quite a bit.

I'm just so spoiled now driving cars with 50+ mpg I don't know if I could ever bring myself to drive anything with less mileage, unless it's a McLaren. I've decided the mileage is immaterial if I ever get my hands on one. And besides, I burn up 600lbs. of Jet A an hour when flying my airplane, so, it's all relative I guess.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (11-01-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I definitely agree that a convertible is really the only way to enjoy the sunny summer days we get.
    Get a Jeep and go off-roading. Metros are generally limited in that regard.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Business Up Front Johnny Mullet's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Get a Jeep and go off-roading. Metros are generally limited in that regard.
    The Geo Metro in it's stock form is quite capable off road. I built EcoMudder which was modified to play with the big boys......

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny Mullet For This Useful Post:

Loren (10-30-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
    I built EcoMudder which was modified to play with the big boys......
    No doubt! Yours being the sole exception. You are the reason why I included the qualifying statement 'generally' haha!

So, how does EcoMudder do on hill climbs and rocky terrain? My point being there's nothing like a good Jeep, even in stock form as an all-purpose vehicle. They have their limitations but they can tow, take you to work, the shopping mall, rock crawling, etc. Not to take anything away from your work on your Metro.
    Last edited by Eggman; 10-30-2019 at 11:49 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Johnny! That thing is way, way out there! And I mean it in a good way. What an amazing little mud scoot. But my potential 'lil convertible is wayyyy to nice to start cutting up for a mud bogger. There's plenty of cheapazz iron from other companies iffn I want to play swamp thing.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Johnny is officially the coolest person on this forum.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    No doubt! Yours being the sole exception. You are the reason why I included the qualifying statement 'generally' haha!

So, how does EcoMudder do on hill climbs and rocky terrain? My point being there's nothing like a good Jeep, even in stock form as an all-purpose vehicle. They have their limitations but they can tow, take you to work, the shopping mall, rock crawling, etc. Not to take anything away from your work on your Metro.
    I've had bad experiences with Jeeps over the years. I'm giving more than a passing thought to a Series Land Rover redone from the frame up. I had one years ago and regret ever parting with it. It was the diesel with an overdrive.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    You think Kenny Powers would rock a Mirage?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-30-2019)