Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket steering wheel

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Aftermarket steering wheel

Anyone has a guide on how to install aftermarket steering wheel like Momo, Nardi etc? Ive searched anywhere but I cant find any vid or guide for our little Mirage. I really want to DIY it. Just want to make sure I don't mess it up. I know I can take it to a shop, but I really want to learn and do it myself. Thanks in advance.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,566 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Is removing the primary safety feature to prevent injury or death in a crash wise? Just sayin’

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    I don't recall anyone replacing their steering wheel here with aftermarket, only OEM steering wheels for the buttons.

It would be cool to find aftermarket steering wheels that have all the buttons and airbags.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Grant makes aftermarket wheels for some applications but not Mitsubishi's.

I see the odd car for sale on kijiji that someone replaced the airbag wheel with a momo or canadian tire special. I don't see much point, and just keep looking. I don't care much about airbags but realise they have a purpose.

When you remove the drivers airbag, it'll throw an airbag code. Whether or not the rest of the airbags will deploy in a crash is unknown to me, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. You could check the resistance of the airbag after removing it and just jam a resistor of the same value in place of the airbag. That'll turn the light off and at least give your passengers a better chance of survival in a crash. But if you turn the key on with any part of the airbag system disconnected(unplugged) you'll have a hard code stored and need to clear it with a scan tool.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Yup, Ive read about that sticking in a resistor/fuse or something to the airbag connector to keep the airbag light off and still keep the passenger airbag. I watched a lot of youtube vids but the problem is I dont know if it would all be the same for our Mirage. I really need a step by step guide from removing the stock one to installing the aftermarket one. I hope someone can help. I havent bought an aftermarket steering wheel yet coz I wanna make sure I can put it before I buy it.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    You can try to ask enk at Mirage Pilipinas if that could be possible and how, he had replaced his GLX steering wheel w/ 2017MY Mirage steering wheel.

https://www.miragepilipinas.com/Thre...8000#pid228000

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    It's probably possible, but it may not be worth the money and effort. I'd love to know what you decide to do mate.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringdahl View Post
    It's probably possible, but it may not be worth the money and effort. I'd love to know what you decide to do mate.
    Hello Ringdahl and welcome to the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    I'll let you know guys once i figure it out. Pray for me. Lol. I'll order the parts next week.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Well, i figured it out. Its not as comlicated as it looks. After numerous videos watched and articles read, I did manage to install the steering wheel. Here it is:

Last edited by Eggman; 11-04-2019 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Added photos saved to the forum.